Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket defective?

Kale

New in Town
So this beauty showed up at my doorstep - Schott 141 in size 34.

I could hardly zip the size 32, so the 34 SHOULD have been perfect right?

Trying it on though - there's this noticeable creasing around the shoulder/chest area, on one side in particular. Other jackets I've tried haven't really had it this pronounced.

I'm thinking the culprit is the stitching on the interior of the jacket itself - but I wanted the Lounge's opinion.

I'm wondering if it'll resolve itself with break in since this is the softer naked cowhide afterall. Or if it won't. Or if it's the inherent stitching and warrants an exchange.

Appreciate any and all insight!

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 164

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
It's hard to tell from the photos, but I think the jacket is too big for you. 141 is super hard to fit right. I spent $200 with a tailor recutting it and I wished I never bothered and just returned it and bought something else.

The shoulders look off. The crease lines, well, I don't want to start trouble, but a lot of Aeros will do that too. The 141 needs to fit tight because it's got a bunch of stuff in the back to allow for movement (action back, footballs under the arm). Do you have photos wearing the 32?

For the sewing error, email Jeri at Schott. She (I think it's a she) has always been super helpful with my questions. If there's any chance that's a mistake and assuming you bought the jacket new from them, they'll exchange it.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Something definitely appears odd with that creasing. Could you take a pic of the jacket lying flat and take some pics of the back

Kale

New in Town
I do have a few shots of the 32. Though I sent it right back due to very broken in grainy sleeves, a few suspicious looking scratches etc. It looked like old stock, coupled with being tricky to zip at the hips - i exchanged for the larger 34.

But I may have miscalculated.

Attachments

• 141 32 3.jpg
    141 32 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
  • 141 32 2.jpg
    141 32 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
  • 141 32.jpg
    141 32.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 133

Kale

New in Town
@TREEMAN The size 34 looked factory fresh, never worn. The hanger seemed positioned properly as well, when opening up the box.

Didn't expect 1 size up to make such a difference. I mean - it's a size 34 jacket, i shouldn't be swimming in it lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 34 zipped back.jpg
    34 zipped back.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Like others have said, it's faulty. Maybe exchange it for that 32? The smaller size looks absolutely perfect on you imo.

Personally I don't think racing shirts / cafe racers look good if they allow for layering. This type of jacket was meant to be worn tight, tshirt only fit.

Kale

New in Town
I'll send them an email on Monday then.

I'm worried it may be an issue with the entire batch of the size 34's. Getting another 34... if the replacement ends up being a lemon too, that makes things awkward.

Maybe the 32 is the way to go. Even though it's tough to zip. You guys think the naked cowhide will stretch at all?

I wouldn’t compromise on fit. Maybe another jacket altogether? I do think the 32” actually looked better, regardless of the collar issue. It would be a shame if they did not appropriately size the collars for the neck hole. What about a Vanson Comet or model B?

Kale

New in Town
vanson would be the smart move yes, but man.. the 641/141's just do it for me. Clean 1 piece back, asymmetrical single chest pocket, not $1500 or 2K+ lol.

If I ever have an opportunity to try a Comet/Model B in store somewhere I'll do it. They seem like great jackets at a great value.

Kale

New in Town
@morrison2951 Is the red one the Model B? It looks fantastic! And custom.

If I ever transcend past black jackets, that right there would be endgame.

Yango

One of the Regulars
Hmmm, my 141 has the same creasing around the inside of the collar, but over time they’re completely flattened out. I never noticed it before. It’s a non issue for me. If I hadn’t seen your post, I never would have paid any attention to it.

As for the sizing, it entirely depends on your comfort. Personally, I can’t stand really tight jackets. I mean, if you have trouble zipping it up, imagine bending over to tie your boots! (That is, if you could even get down there). I like having the option of putting on a hoodie under my jackets.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I do have a few shots of the 32. Though I sent it right back due to very broken in grainy sleeves, a few suspicious looking scratches etc. It looked like old stock, coupled with being tricky to zip at the hips - i exchanged for the larger 34.

But I may have miscalculated.

To be honest, I like the fit of the 32 better. The 34 seems a bit big.

Kale

New in Town
Yeah I decided to exchange for the tighter 32. But that's ok - it justifies another 'winter' jacket down the road!

I think it was a QC issue exacerbated by the jacket being a little big.

Kale

New in Town
Unrelated - but It's kind of funny, I picked up some factory first black Iron Rangers recently. They had tags saying they passed inspection - while having a major scratch directly visible on the upper LOL.

So mistakes do happen on occasion, but it's all good if they sort you out after.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unrelated - but It's kind of funny, I picked up some factory first black Iron Rangers recently. They had tags saying they passed inspection - while having a major scratch directly visible on the upper LOL.

So mistakes do happen on occasion, but it's all good if they sort you out after.
I actually think the quality control at Red Wing is pretty poor. I have now seen so many defects in pictures of various forums on the Internet that I think the control does not exist.
Manual work or not, in the mass production countries is worked in more uniform quality.
I still like my Red Wings lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ