Is this jacket too long?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Thuggee, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Thuggee

Thuggee Practically Family

This is a fit jacket from Thurston Bros ( I’m getting a custom Happy Days), Carrie thinks the jacket length is ok based on these pics I gave her, while she’s the expert I have no reason to doubt her opinion , yet I’m still leaning towards a inch to long what do people think am I over thinking it? I’m 172cm tall the jacket in these pics is a 26.25inch back length according to the jacket tag, should I go with a 25inch back length, what do people think? 80A80CA5-F419-4597-AC07-C9F94B4FE852.jpeg C153E62B-8FE5-4D8A-9874-9A99C9A02321.jpeg A1C0ECC3-41CF-4332-A267-1208B3FBA341.jpeg

marker2037, Superfluous, thor and 7 others like this.
  2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I would be fine with that - esp the back, but I'd be curious to see what 25 looks like.

Thuggee likes this.
  3. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Looks good to me, an inch shorter and it may ride up over your belt as you wear it.
    To my mind if the top of the knit hits the bottom of the belt when undone then it's spot on, that one seems to fit that criteria.

Mil, Bfd70, Tusche and 3 others like this.
  4. MrProper

MrProper One of the Regulars

For me it would fit that way, but I wear low waist jean.
    Back is fine, front could be minimal shorter.

Thuggee likes this.
  5. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Back looks ok but I think the front looks a little long. I would go with the 25 inch back if I were you.

Thuggee likes this.
  6. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

I like the sleeve length, but i would remove length in the body.
    To me it looks 1/2" to 1" too long. I wouldnt like to have the knit hide the front pockets.

Thuggee likes this.
  7. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ Practically Family

IMO, slightly too long at front and sleeves (some tunneling). I also like to see some of my front jean pockets showing.

Thuggee likes this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski Practically Family

Sleeves are perfect, torso might be 1' shorter and 1' wider all-around (shoulders, armpits, waist). That's how I'd like it to look if being picky)
    Considering it's made of stunning veg-tanned leather the jacket might form your frame better with wear with the natural time being. Try to not wear it under downpour, such gorgeous veg tanned leathers don't like water. It might need some Pecard then, here and there (tiny coats, from time to time) - of course only after it has dried well after some rain. Anyway, haven't seen nothing critical to worry about the fit. The jacket as is looks very close to perfect fit. The leather looks stellar, congrats with the nice purchase, very very nice jacket!

Thuggee likes this.
  9. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

I think it’s perfect. If I got that fit on a custom order I’d be stoked.

Thuggee likes this.
  10. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Looks fine as is.

Thuggee and Lebowski like this.
  11. jswindle2

jswindle2 One of the Regulars

The easiest way for me to tell if a jacket is too long is if the collar bumps me up under the ears. I have an L.L. Bean leather jacket I love but it does this when I wear it in the car. However, I have a size 42 earlier Thinsulate liner that is about 1 inch shorter and doesn't do this. Just an idea I had.

Thuggee likes this.
  12. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

Back is fine. The front looks a little long to me. I like to have unobstructed access to my pockets, both front and rear. The front pockets are covered; the rear pockets are fine.

Thuggee likes this.
  13. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

That's such a close call there. I agree with ohters that to my eye the back & sleeves are spot on. The front could be a touch shorter, but being a bomber style jacket, I tend to prefer the belt fully covered, which it is in this case. Awesome fit overall, and bomber-jackets are indeed a tough fit.

Thuggee likes this.
  14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I think it's a fine, flexible fit. Short A-2s can look v cool, but only if you wear high-waist jeans all the time or you're a Japanese student (their jackets barely scrape the top of their hipster jeans, but still look pretty cool). As it is, look at WWII period photos and you'll see that there was no 'standard fit'. It comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Thuggee, Mil, Edward and 1 other person like this.
  15. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

Just a hair too long in the front I would say. If you had purchased this jacket off the stock page I would be congratulating you on a good fit, because it does look good. Since you are dialing in the measurements on a custom one I think it would be worth taking off half an inch of body length.

Thuggee and Colin G like this.
  16. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Great jacket Thuggee. I think it looks great, maybe a tad long in the front like others have mentioned but not so long I would not wear it. The back length seems perfect.

I'd wear that jacket. I like it.

Thuggee, Lebowski and nick123 like this.
  17. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Perfection is the enemy of, well, perfection. :)

18. Monitor

Monitor

It looks to me like it fits very nice but I don't really have a clue how the A-2's are supposed to fit.

Thuggee likes this.
  19. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

I like it as is. Drives me bonkers when the knits slide over the belt. Uncomfortable sitting in a car like that.

Thuggee likes this.
  20. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

looks fine to me. I wonder if it might ride up with wear.

Thuggee, Edward and Lebowski like this.