Is this the right stuff?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Spatterdash, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Spatterdash

Spatterdash A-List Customer

The technique is understood in a vague and itchy way, just enough to begin destroying the marriage and numerous kitchen appliances.

The would-be hatmaker, dripping with the sweat of a novice, has a hat block and flange, a constant source of steam, ribbon and sweatband, thread, needle and thimble, silk lining and sandpaper of various grades.
    He wants to make a beaver felt hat.
    He finds this...

http://www.judithm.com/shop/?page=s...&category_id=3cf7f5afc4136c6fa91744e1a65004d6

Is this the sort of felt body he's going to buy, shape, steam and pounce with sandpaper into a velvety smooth fedora?

2. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Familiar Face

The hat body doesn't need to be fuzzy like a pimp hat when you start off with it. You might also want to check out this site if you're looking for hat bodies.

3. Spatterdash

Spatterdash A-List Customer

I've snooped around hatsupply.com, and they have a good selection, I just can't see any images of the hoods/capelines or the colors. At least at Judith M I could see an example or two.

My issue was, having never seen a lot of beaver felt bodies, was that fuzzy texture common on unshaped, unpounced beaver?