Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this tie too formal for everyday wear?

Lear

One of the Regulars
Edit: It's not me in the photo.

I just put this question to Style Forum. Have a feeling it will die a death under the avalanche of insults and spats in other (unconnected) threads.

Could this be an 'everyday' tie, or would this be considered more of a special occasion or wedding type?

How many here would wear something like this to the office (not that I've ever set foot inside an office)?

I love it. More so as an extra-long, seven fold.

The complete thread is here:

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...php?f=2&t=5339

charvet0em.jpg

imgp11563nk.jpg

imgp11545wb.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
Oops! No, it's not me in the photograph. I came across it some time ago and fell in love with the tie.

Apologies for any confusion.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
That's the biggest tie knot I've ever seen outside of WKRP in Cincinnati. Is it for a business meeting or a hanging?

I see tie knots bigger than that almost on a daily basis. I've heard them refered to as 'footballers knots'.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I keep on getting asked if I'm on my way to a wedding, by people I vaguely know, as well as by random strangers. I could do without furthering that impression. It must be the plain white pocket square that's doing it.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
For your sins? ;)

lol

On the plus side, I've noticed that tie knot size here seems to be shrinking. Maybe the fashion of huge knots finally reached critical mass.

I will teach my son that there are three things which should never be bigger than one's head: What you eat, your sunglasses, and your tie knot.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lear said:
I keep on getting asked if I'm on my way to a wedding, by people I vaguely know, as well as by random strangers.
Where in the UK do you live? Small town, suburbs, country? You can't be getting that reaction in London.

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Depends if it's as shiny as the first picture suggests or if that's just the flash.

If not, I'd certainly wear it for every day.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think the tie is perfectly acceptable for everyday wear as long as you wear it with the right sort of suit (one like the one pictured is fine IMO).

As for the comments, ignore them. The strangers who comment about your clothes in the UK are usually complete morons. At least I get so many random "Indiana Jones" or "Inspector Gadget" comments even when I don't remotely resemble them other than that I have a grey fedora on.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
It must be the plain white pocket square that's doing it.
Probably so. The tie looks plenty acceptable for everyday wear. Very elegant.
I keep on getting asked if I'm on my way to a wedding
Tell them no, you're on the way to a funeral (for your mother, of course). Guilt-tripping weird, random strangers is fun. :p

Lear

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Where in the UK do you live? Small town, suburbs, country? You can't be getting that reaction in London.

Not in the centre of London. Been asked about four times in 6 months (not that often really).

kuwisdelu said:
Depends if it's as shiny as the first picture suggests or if that's just the flash.

If not, I'd certainly wear it for every day.

Thanks. I've seen and fondled the fabric a the Charvet shop in Paris. I'll have them copy a perfect fitting, extra-long tie. It'll be made up as a seven-fold.

avedwards said:
I think the tie is perfectly acceptable for everyday wear as long as you wear it with the right sort of suit (one like the one pictured is fine IMO).

As for the comments, ignore them. The strangers who comment about your clothes in the UK are usually complete morons. At least I get so many random "Indiana Jones" or "Inspector Gadget" comments even when I don't remotely resemble them other than that I have a grey fedora on.

The suit will be a heavyweight, plain medium grey. Plain white shirt and plain white (tv fold) pocket square.

Only on Fedora Lounge, do I feel that people can't believe the reaction (verbal and physical) one can generate. This thread is about a tie, but it's nice to know that another UK resident understands what it's like.

Geronimo said:
Probably so. The tie looks plenty acceptable for everyday wear. Very elegant.

Tell them no, you're on the way to a funeral (for your mother, of course). Guilt-tripping weird, random strangers is fun. :p

Good! It shall be mine!

Regarding the guilt tripping strangers: I'd be afraid that they'd insist on driving me to the funeral. I'd then have to make up an elaborate story, only to find myself chauffeured to the cremation of a complete stranger. Speeches would follow, and before long, I'd find myself recounting anecdotes from years gone by :eek:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lear said:
Regarding the guilt tripping strangers: I'd be afraid that they'd insist on driving me to the funeral. I'd then have to make up an elaborate story, only to find myself chauffeured to the cremation of a complete stranger. Speeches would follow, and before long, I'd find myself recounting anecdotes from years gone by :eek:

This scenario is vaguely familiar http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40376&highlight=would+a+gentleman+fight

The only thing I can say is: If you see them walking down the street and they start to cry each time you meet walk on by ...just walk on by...

Lear

One of the Regulars
Carlisle Blues said:
This scenario is vaguely familiar http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=40376&highlight=would+a+gentleman+fight

The only thing I can say is: If you see them walking down the street and they start to cry each time you meet walk on by ...just walk on by...

Absolutely! I say there's not enough peace and love in the world. I intend to be the most impressively peaceful and loving person on any street, even if it kills me :D

:eek:fftopic: By the way, the Charvet shop is beautifully laid out. Silk sprouts from every corner of the place. Even though they have no on-line store, I was assured that it could all be accomplished via email, together with a tie (posted to them) that already fits. It also helps that it's set in a beautiful part of the city.

Peace and love to you all

Lear

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lear said:
The suit will be a heavyweight, plain medium grey. Plain white shirt and plain white (tv fold) pocket square.

Only on Fedora Lounge, do I feel that people can't believe the reaction (verbal and physical) one can generate. This thread is about a tie, but it's nice to know that another UK resident understands what it's like.
I think a blue suit with a white pocket square and any sort of grey tie is extremely elegant and versatile as it can be worn to a business meeting, a wedding or a black tie optional event. Metropd is very good with this look, albeit his tie isn't quite the same.

And I only used the example of the hat to show that one should never pay attention to what random people say in the UK. It's sad but true, at least where I live. Anything slightly beyond the normal will generate comments, be it a hat, a trench coat or a tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana