Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It isn't a @*$%> cowboy hat"

matei

One Too Many
Usually I wear my lids and get very few comments. The few that I get are mostly positive in any event.

However... I've been wearing an Open Road lately, and I'm amazed at how many "cowboy" comments I get.

"yeehaw"

"Hey Cowboy"

"The sherriff is in town"

"Were you in Bareback Mountain?" (I hope they got the title wrong on that one)

"Hey John Wayne"

I could understand if I had the cattleman block, but Art put a teardrop block in for me.

One person did get it right... kind of. He said he liked my "Chinatown" hat, all I needed was a bandage on my nose. Right film, wrong guy. At least he was close!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I wear my Open Road with the cattleman's crease, I wonder if some aging hippie will start chanting "Hey hey LBJ..." lol

I had a barber say something about "that cowboy hat" referring to my Akubra Federation Deluxe with a teardrop crown. Oh well... [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tony in Tarzana said:
I had a barber say something about "that cowboy hat" referring to my Akubra Federation Deluxe with a teardrop crown. Oh well... [huh]

A guy called my Fed Deluxe a "ten gallon hat" last week.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Do you think they really don't see the difference between those and Cowboy Hats?

Or that presented with something unfamiliar they feel obligated to say something and they then give voice to the first mental connections that take place in their minds?

there seem to be only two memes relating to the hat: They are cowboy/wild west/lawman and gangster. Many people get them mixed up.

This is similar to my recent hearing of someone referring to another person (who was wearing the most horridly ill-fitting suit i've ever seen) as a gangster. Suit = mob.

bk

matei

One Too Many
Some people are just ignorant I guess... It is hard to believe that just by wearing a hat that they are provoked into making stupid comments. They must be very insecure.

I wouldn't mind having the six-shooters though. I'm sure that they would discourage some of the more annoying types.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The Pre-emptive Quip

Perhaps we should create our own restrictive images (or memes - thx BK:eusa_clap ) for the more annoying popular styles of attire so we can shoot first and not have to hear the comments at all. Talking about people so that they hear without directly addressing them is extremely rude, but also sometimes a lot of fun. :D

I referred to someone who'd had irritating hat comments in the past as "this Brady Bunch dude" because of his hair and his shirt, and the laughter seems to have cured him. Totally immature, but sooooo satisfying.

With people being so cruel and all, and so ill-informed hat wise, maybe drawing first blood is the only answer. ;)

BTW: By "greeks" surely you folks don't mean Greeks, but Greek Letters, AKA Fratboys? Don't you?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
It's one of the advantages of living here in the city where the West begins that there are more than enough cowboy-hatted heads walking around that a fedora is fairly easily identifiable as something different. The "cowboy hat" comment is one I have yet to receive, probably because if I ever did I could point to three other people nearby on the street and say, "no, THAT'S a cowboy hat."

Rick Blaine

You are correct, sir...

jake_fink said:

BTW: By "greeks" surely you folks don't mean Greeks, but Greek Letters, AKA Fratboys? Don't you?

...quite so, these are not, for instance, the neighborhoods I would recommend if one were looking, say, for a bottle of retsina, some spanakopita or a good souvlaki!

Twitch

Matei I wonder if those cowboy comments are more due to your geographic area? Folks in your parts almost never see a hat like that whereas in the western US, though more rare, you do. Sounds more like ignorance. They probably think we still have wild indians toolol

Tudor

Familiar Face
While wearing my Open Road with a fedora block on a trip to the East coast I over heard a young boy in the airport say "Mom, is that a Cowboy?". I just smiled...

By-the-way, Here in New Mexico we have lots of true Native Americans.

DOUGLAS

I often get the cowboy comment. The one I get the most is"You look like your going on a safari." I suppose I wear a lot of khaki and white. My response is always the same... It's a jungle out there.

epic610

One of the Regulars
i posted on another "open road" thread...

that i tell people who bring the cowboy hat thing up when i am wearing my open road that ......cowboy hats are for people who work on the ranch; open roads are worn by those who OWN the ranch.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Maybe these plebs can see straight through the re-bash and know an OR when they see one...

Perhaps not...

That's what you get when you choose to wear hats, I guess.

So much for anonymous, different-accepting London.

See you in late Jan. next.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points