Italian brands hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Chepstow, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is the seventh orphaned Italian hat and it is my favorite, perhaps because it is older than the writer:)
    We have little news about this black hat from the thirties
    Velour 1.jpg Someone threw the liner in the garbage and no indication is present for the lack of a paper label
    Velour Interno totale.jpg
    Velour, as it is called on the sweatband, size 58 centimeters
    Velour 2.jpg
    The shapes and finishes, see the sweatband with "inlays" are those of a hat made about a hundred years ago
    Velour 4.jpg
    Its peculiarity is the black felt, classified as velour which has a very low fur and an exceptional malleability
    Velour 3.jpg
    In the mixture of felt there is certainly a part of wool and probably silk because the consistency and luster are those of some women's hats of the period
    Velour 5.jpg
    As I mentioned in the presentation of this lot, some hats are mysteries, also because their dating is at least fifty years long. This too was sold in a tiny town of Pegognaga, as evidenced by the brand of the shop
    Velour 6.jpg These are its measurements: the brims are at 6.3 cm, the ribbon is at 5 cm. and the lowest point of the crown is at 11.5 centimeters.
    This hat, as well as the one called "Extra - Tirso" are the adorable puzzles that are found every now and then and make collectors spend a few moments of happiness ;)

Just Daniel, Redfokker, steur and 8 others like this.
  2. Daniele Tanto

Ciao Steve and thank you for your comments which give me inspiration to investigate further
    For the masked "Cervo" I relied a little on the knowledge of the Cappellificio Cervo products, I think I almost hit the mark in attributing to that hat factory the authorship of the hat which has a thin and splendid felt.
    For the "Tirso" let's call it that, I am comforted to know that you too have found hats from about eighty years ago with such narrow brims. Due to its texture and the use of wool in the felt and the very accurate construction details, the hat would seem to have been made in the Thirties. I believe that for the time it was something very "dandy" especially in a rural and distant territory, relatively as it can be in Italy, far from a provincial capital. Many of the hats in this lot, outside the known productions, are small puzzles even if the components of many of them suggest a dating at the turn of the Second World War

3. Blare

Blare I'll Lock Up

Thank you Daniele. I enjoyed your tour of the orphaned Italian hats. Some beauties in there for sure.

Daniele Tanto likes this.
  4. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

Don't know, if you remember the Rockel Velour from late 30s/early 40s we think:
    The brim flattened is about 4.5 cm and the curved brim in the back at 4.0 cm.
    Not as short as yours, Daniele, but it comes close...
    [​IMG]

Redfokker, steur, Scooterz and 5 others like this.
  5. PanosChris

PanosChris Practically Family

These two are my favourites so far!

6. Daniele Tanto

In the find, there were some hats in the vendor's photographs that I thought I recognized
    [​IMG]
    This was one of them. "Giuseppe Cambiaghi" size 57 centimeters
    [​IMG]
    Like the others, new/old stock, it comes from the warehouses of tiny hat shops and, however, has the defect of having the sweatband cracked in two places.
    [​IMG]
    This year I found two magnificent hats from this Monza manufacturer that went to make some Nordic Europeans happy.
    [​IMG]
    I was hoping this was some size close to mine instead it is a 57 and completely different in shape from the two found previously.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The black felt is of sublime quality and as always in these hats there is some wool in the composition of the felt.
    Also this like the "Tirso" has not very generous measures in the brim, but it was the fashion of that time
    [​IMG]
    This beauty has the following measures: the raw brims are 5 cm and facing upwards, the ribbon is 4.5 cm. and the crown at its lowest point is at 11 centimeters.
    Another candidate to the rare find branch

7. steur

steur

And another nice piece of Italian hatting history. Pity about the sweatband,

Daniele Tanto and PanosChris like this.
  8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Daniele, Another great one! I like everything about it. The liner effect is especially pleasing + unique.

Blare and Daniele Tanto like this.

9. So many of your hats are amazing, Daniele, but this hat is just speaks to me. I wish it had been my size.

Just Daniel, Redfokker and Blare like this.
  10. Daniele Tanto

Thanks Brent for your appreciation. I agree with your idea ... I would also want it of my size and for a few minutes I illused :rolleyes:

Blare likes this.
  11. Daniele Tanto

Let's give space to this other piece of history of Italian hats from the 1950s.
    [​IMG] It too is part of the lucky find a couple of weeks ago that shed new light on Italian hat production.
    [​IMG]
    About ten days ago we saw its older brother in brown velour.
    "La Famigliare" size 57 cm. or 7 for the United States of America.
    [​IMG]
    This time the velvet is black, of the same consistency as his brother. The shape and finishes are the same, here we have some more information regarding the marketing of the hat produced by "La Famigliare".
    [​IMG]
    We find a print on the sweatband that tells us the type of hat and the retail price "Lire 134"
    [​IMG]
    We found also a stamp in white that tells us more, but it is quite vanished
    [​IMG]
    The measurements for this piece in velour are as follows: the raw brim is 6 cm, the ribbon is 1.5 cm and the crown at lowest point is 10.5cm.
    [​IMG]
    The hat is very elegant and with a remarkable quality, considered "La Famigliare" it is certainly not one of the most important hat makers in Italy

12. Daniele Tanto

A cargo of hats that I was waiting for arrived from Holland, but only today I was able to look at them carefully, so we conclude with this hat the presentation of the "normal" sizes of the Mantua and surrounding area find.
    From tomorrow the small sizes pay attention because they will have gems available ;)
    [​IMG]
    The hat is a typical Italian hat of the 30s or 40s starting with the black color, synonymous with elegance.
    [​IMG] Felt is a blend where wool is also present and gives the surface that slight sheen found in hats of that era
    [​IMG]
    The graphics and lettering are also attributable to the period,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but, as already mentioned, it could be a hat born after the Second World War with the materials left available in Italian hats
    [​IMG]
    "Smart" size 58 in black felt, without any other indication.
    These are the measurements: the raw brims are 6.5 cm, the ribbon is 3.5 cm high. and the crown at its lowest point is 10 centimeters
    [​IMG]
    Another vintage hat looking for a lord who wears it as well as everyone else.
    I repeat the hats of this find are on sale except for one.
    You ask and you will have reply:)

13. Daniele Tanto

I consider lucky those who can easily or almost easily wear small sizes.
    [​IMG]
    The hat is black and certainly made many years ago, I'd say a hundred or so.
    [​IMG]
    The brand is a mystery because there are no other indications.
    [​IMG]
    "Record" size 54 centimeters or a 6 3/4 in US.
    [​IMG]
    Felt is a blend that also contains wool and has that touch that very few hats have today.
    Lettering and stamp of brands have an ancient form
    [​IMG]
    The measurements are as follows: the brims edged with a minimal black ribbon are 7cm, the ribbon is 5cm high, the bow is amazing and the highest point of the open crown is 13cm.
    [​IMG]
    Like other French found this year, it goes on the list of black hats to love.
    It is a hat that is the example in Europe of elegance in a distant period. Difficult to remain indifferent, shape and bow of rare beauty
    [​IMG]
    It arrived in excellent condition and still having it in my hands I ask who can made it

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  14. steur

steur

Very interesting these Italian velour hats as it was not one of their specialities. Very nice shape and proportions.

Lovely example of Italian hatmaking, Daniele. Even the lesser known brands could make a quality hat.

A thing of beauty. Love the high crown and prominent ribbon with fabulous bow. A gem.

Daniele Tanto, Blare and PanosChris like this.
  15. PanosChris

PanosChris Practically Family

Fantastic! Wish it was a couple of sizes larger...I am sure I've seen this liner logo before somewhere...

Daniele Tanto and Blare like this.
  16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Daniele, Great series of finds! There are all superb! The "Record" is really something. Is it possible to take a photo of Sweatband markings?

Blare and Daniele Tanto like this.
  17. Daniele Tanto

Steve, thanks for your appreciation
    Here, as requested, are the markings on the sweatband
    Tell me your opinion on the possible producer, I have some doubts it is Italian
    Record Selecta.JPG
    Record negoziante.JPG

Mean Eyed Matt and Steve1857 like this.
  18. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Daniele, Thanks! I really like the Type Face on "Selecta". The use of the word "Gran" tends to make me think it might be Italian but that could be market related. I seem to recall I had a couple of hats with the "Record" mark but probably just a time period marking. Are there any markings on the inside of the Sweatband?

19. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

The Eagle on the liner automatically made me think German. Could Daniele's hat be linked to this pre-war Harald I have, which looks quite similar.
    20210929_205119.jpg 20210929_205105.jpg

I also have a ca. 1950s Meister Filz Record. Is this maker in some way connected to Daniele's pre-war?

20. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

This is a really great hat, Daniele!
    If it was my size I would rip it out of your hands...

When I saw it, I immediately thought of a French manufacture - but only a gut feeling!
    Then I looked again more closely at the Details I noticed the very special ribbon treatment
    with the great bow, that reminded me of the French Esperazano hat.
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/french-hats-and-makers.36690/page-37#post-2818511
    [​IMG]

Only a short research showed that this kind of bow is found
    on some other French hats or at least hats for the French market:
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/french-hats-and-makers.36690/page-34#post-2794132
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...waiting-for-today.81825/page-363#post-2849785

And also the size tag with its bulged "cookie" shape reminds me more
    of French manufacturing than German.
    Maybe we should think one more time in this direction!?

Steve1857, Blare and PanosChris like this.