Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's a Straw World After All

Doh!

One Too Many
So for over a month now, I've been on the quest for a new straw. I have a cheapish porkpie that I've just gotten bored with (both color and style) so I dragged Hargist with me to go hat shopping. We originally headed over to Hollywood Hatters on Melrose, but Sal was just barely getting in summer straws so said to check back with him later. Well, we waited a couple of weeks, went back, and still... nothing.

Last weekend, we hit the road to Long Beach to the Village Hat Shop and... nothing. Oh, they had straws on hand, but nothing either of us wanted. They at least steamed Hargist's vintage fedora he was wearing free of charge, and gave me the stock no. of their green derby (they were out of my size and I'll perhaps get one for St. Paddy's Day next year).

For grins, last night we decided to go back to Hollywood Hatters and... viola! We each walked out with 2 hats! I originally just wanted a soft, darker straw with a front pinch -- and found one I was quite happy with -- but Sal also had some swell Dobbs Fifth Ave. in stock. I wasn't crazy about the ribbon (it looked too southwestern for my taste), so he attached a basic black one, free of charge. I couldn't be happier! Hargist got one as well but kept the band as is. (Just as well; we wouldn't want to look like twins...)

Dobbs:

WhiteStraw72.jpg

Broner "milan":

DarkStraw72.jpg

Photos by Hargist.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Just picked up two Stetson straws from Sal myself! The light beige has a bound brim and is a soft milan. Love the hat.

Congrats on your new lids! And they look great! Next time you're over that way, try Hot Wings Cafe a couple of doors down - best wings west of the Miss.! I should know, I'm from Buffalo!

Doh!

One Too Many
Thanks for the kudos, fellers!

And Mr. Lucky, I'm way ahead of ya': I live near there so get Hot Wings about once a month. It's good to get the Buffalo endorsement, though.

Them boys is tasty!

millinerymiss

New in Town
hat commentary

dobbs: really nice color and crown shape. question is it the angle of the photograph or do you always wear you hats so high above your ears? It really doesnt matter but I just wondered. Despite my comment it is very flattering.
broner milan:Now this hat is very flattering because the color black complements your hair color and the green band complements your eye color which looks to be brown. The fact that the brim swoops for lack of a better word gives it that panache.. Really like your choices.. :)

Doh!

One Too Many
Thanks, Miss!

I must've subconsciously moved the Dobbs up a bit for the photo -- I don't normally wear it that high. Of course, the photo was taken only about 30 minutes after I bought it so I may not have been wearing it properly. Rest assured, I've worn it for a few days since then.

And the Milan is really closer in color to a charcoal gray, but is pretty dark. Thanks for the comments!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points