Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Crazy Legs

Familiar Face
I have contacted Art Fawcett about a straw fedora. I don't know much about straw and colors for straw as it seems that most are an off white or light brown. I am thinking about something kind of dressy for Spring and Summer. What have you found that you will wear on these warmer days coming up?

Pictures would be very helpful

fmw

One Too Many
I haven't yet learned an appreciation for straw hats because I have always thought of them as disposable. In the past I've worn straw Western hats in summer but, as you know, they are paper straw and not particularly cool - nor do they last very long. I have a couple of cheap straw hats like the Stetson Panama below and I'm going to make do with those for this summer. Perhaps next summer I'll get something nicer. Incidentally, for Panama hats, the color depends to some extent on the area in Ecuador where they are woven. The Montecristi hats are natural in color while the less expensive Cuenca hats are usually closer to white because of the way they are finished. The Stetson below is a cheap ($35) Cuenca hat but it is about as far as I'm going to go this summer.

panamafedora.jpg

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Cold and rainey here in SoCal, but here's my Art Fawcett panama from sunnier days.

photo1-3.jpg

That is a super look. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a straw hat. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable. Great hat.

Akubra Zephyr...poly straw but real good for the lake.
I usually buy a cheap Bangora western every Spring. Lately, I've gone to palm leafs. They are tougher & last more than a season. They don't seem to breathe like the Bangora, which is ventilated in the weave design but they shade well....
zep1.jpg

zep2.jpg

zep3.jpg

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I haven't yet learned an appreciation for straw hats because I have always thought of them as disposable. In the past I've worn straw Western hats in summer but, as you know, they are paper straw and not particularly cool - nor do they last very long. I have a couple of cheap straw hats like the Stetson Panama below and I'm going to make do with those for this summer. Perhaps next summer I'll get something nicer. Incidentally, for Panama hats, the color depends to some extent on the area in Ecuador where they are woven. The Montecristi hats are natural in color while the less expensive Cuenca hats are usually closer to white because of the way they are finished. The Stetson below is a cheap ($35) Cuenca hat but it is about as far as I'm going to go this summer.

panamafedora.jpg

Where'd you get that Stetson for $35? That's exactly what I'm looking for, but every place I've seen have it for $50 or more. Does it look as good in person as the pic?

fmw

One Too Many
I bought it on ebay a few months ago. Shipping was included. It looks as good as any Panama from 20 feet away. ;) Just kidding. I think the photograph is pretty accurate. Check out Panama Bob's web site. You can get pretty close to this price and his hats have a great reputation.

fmw

One Too Many
Those Optimo Milans are just plain spectacular. They almost make me change my mind about spending serious money on a straw hat. Nice stuff, Gents.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Thanks for the link and info! One of those $39.99 teardrops is very tempting.

Those optimos are fantastic looking. I can only dream of owning something that nice. Someday. . .

fmw

One Too Many
Thanks for the link and info! One of those $39.99 teardrops is very tempting.

Those optimos are fantastic looking. I can only dream of owning something that nice. Someday. . .

I just placed an order today with Panama Bob. I ordered one of his $39.95 hats in Optimo style (crease not hatter.)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob's hats are top-notch and a real value for the money, even moreso with the hats he currently has on sale. You can NOT go wrong. I always get great comments when I wear mine, and everyone always thinks it's a really expensive hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto