1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Crazy Legs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Familiar Face

I have contacted Art Fawcett about a straw fedora. I don't know much about straw and colors for straw as it seems that most are an off white or light brown. I am thinking about something kind of dressy for Spring and Summer. What have you found that you will wear on these warmer days coming up?

Pictures would be very helpful

2. fmw

fmw One Too Many

I haven't yet learned an appreciation for straw hats because I have always thought of them as disposable. In the past I've worn straw Western hats in summer but, as you know, they are paper straw and not particularly cool - nor do they last very long. I have a couple of cheap straw hats like the Stetson Panama below and I'm going to make do with those for this summer. Perhaps next summer I'll get something nicer. Incidentally, for Panama hats, the color depends to some extent on the area in Ecuador where they are woven. The Montecristi hats are natural in color while the less expensive Cuenca hats are usually closer to white because of the way they are finished. The Stetson below is a cheap ($35) Cuenca hat but it is about as far as I'm going to go this summer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. RBH

RBH Bartender

Here is a shot of my VS milan Art did for me last year.
    The color is honey brown.

[​IMG]

4. kaosharper1

kaosharper1 One Too Many

Cold and rainey here in SoCal, but here's my Art Fawcett panama from sunnier days.

[​IMG]

5. fmw

fmw One Too Many

I think that appeals to me more than the panamas. Really nice summer hat.

6. fmw

fmw One Too Many

That is a super look. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a straw hat. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable. Great hat.

7. Akubra Zephyr...poly straw but real good for the lake.
    I usually buy a cheap Bangora western every Spring. Lately, I've gone to palm leafs. They are tougher & last more than a season. They don't seem to breathe like the Bangora, which is ventilated in the weave design but they shade well....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Optimo milans
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. delectans

delectans Call Me a Cab

Another Optimo Milan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. Fedora Jay

Fedora Jay Familiar Face

Where'd you get that Stetson for $35? That's exactly what I'm looking for, but every place I've seen have it for $50 or more. Does it look as good in person as the pic?

11. The Wiser Hatter

The Wiser Hatter I'll Lock Up

http://www.panamas.biz/

12. fmw

fmw One Too Many

I bought it on ebay a few months ago. Shipping was included. It looks as good as any Panama from 20 feet away. ;) Just kidding. I think the photograph is pretty accurate. Check out Panama Bob's web site. You can get pretty close to this price and his hats have a great reputation.

13. fmw

fmw One Too Many

Those Optimo Milans are just plain spectacular. They almost make me change my mind about spending serious money on a straw hat. Nice stuff, Gents.

14. Fedora Jay

Fedora Jay Familiar Face

Thanks for the link and info! One of those $39.99 teardrops is very tempting.

Those optimos are fantastic looking. I can only dream of owning something that nice. Someday. . .

15. TJ Hamilton

TJ Hamilton New in Town

Much like FMW I haven't spent much on straws. Those Optimos, however, could convince me. Wow!

16. fmw

fmw One Too Many

I just placed an order today with Panama Bob. I ordered one of his $39.95 hats in Optimo style (crease not hatter.)

17. DRB

DRB One Too Many

Optimo Milan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. alanfgag

alanfgag

That's a great looking straw, Dennis... love the simple, elegant ribbon.

cheers,
    Alan

19. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bob's hats are top-notch and a real value for the money, even moreso with the hats he currently has on sale. You can NOT go wrong. I always get great comments when I wear mine, and everyone always thinks it's a really expensive hat.

20. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Welcome. Handshake instructions will be sent by PM. :spy::gossip:

I look forward to your thoughts on this one. It looks great to me. :eusa_clap