Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's the piths!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Today is candied citrus peel making day.

Have the large batch of orange peel all done, and the tangerine as well.

Currently prepping the grapefruit. (terribly pithy things those grapefruits!)

Then Lemon.....

Does anyone else do this for Christmas?

Little bags are what all my coworkers are getting this year...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Hamilton_Honey said:
I'm so impressed! I've never made my own, and now I desperately want to be your coworker for some reason!!

mmmm....citron bread!

You talented lady :)

It's not actually -hard-...just time consuming. But the batch of lemon peels is simmering away now...which means other then finishing that up...I am done. Whew.

Well at least until I need to make another batch or two for family and friends....but I need to give my hands a rest for a day or so. Scraping and cutting makes them sore.

Miss Neecerie said:
It's not actually -hard-...just time consuming. But the batch of lemon peels is simmering away now...which means other then finishing that up...I am done. Whew.

Well at least until I need to make another batch or two for family and friends....but I need to give my hands a rest for a day or so. Scraping and cutting makes them sore.

I think this translates into "I now deserve a lovely hand massage treatment at my nearest Aveda" :)

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Sounds painful

Scraping and cutting makes them sore

I make it, although not for Christmas specifically, it was about 6 months ago that I last made a batch - but I don't recall any pain.

What's your method?

This is mine:

Ingredients
  • 1 bag of lemons (about 8)
  • 1 bag of oranges (about 8)
  • 4 grapefruit
  • 1 1/2 lbs sugar

Method
  • Quarter the fruit.
  • Peel them.
  • Boil the peel in water in separate pots until soft (may be up to 1 1/2 hours).
  • Drain and boil together for 20-30 minutes.
  • Dissolve the sugar in 1/2 pint of water in a big pot.
  • Bring to the boil, then add the peel.
  • Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until all the syrup is absorbed, this should take a bit over 2 1/2 hours.
  • Put it on a lightly oiled rack over some paper somewhere warm, dry, out of the way and dust-free.
  • Sit down and have a citrus based cocktail of your choice with the left over innards. ;)
  • Leave it for about 4-5 days to dry, turning a couple of times.
  • Put the peel in an air-tight jar.

EDIT: Everybody should try this, you'll never go back to shop bought. It's good covered in dark chocolate.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Methuselah said:
I do, although not for Christmas specifically, it was about 6 months ago that I last made a batch - but I don't recall any pain.

What's your method?

This is mine:

Ingredients
  • 1 bag of lemons (about 8)
  • 1 bag of oranges (about 8)
  • 4 grapefruit
  • 1 1/2 lbs sugar

Method
  • Quarter the fruit.
  • Peel them.
  • Boil the peel in water in separate pots until soft (may be up to 1 1/2 hours).
  • Drain and boil together for 20-30 minutes.
  • Dissolve the sugar in 1/2 pint of water in a big pot.
  • Bring to the boil, then add the peel.
  • Simmer gently, stirring occasionally until all the syrup is absorbed, this should take a bit over 2 1/2 hours.
  • Put it on a lightly oiled rack over some paper somewhere warm, dry, out of the way and dust-free.
  • Sit down and have a citrus based cocktail of your choice with the left over innards. ;)
  • Leave it for about 4-5 days to dry, turning a couple of times.
  • Put the peel in an air-tight jar.

I like mine less bitter...and removing more pith helps that out....hence the scraping.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Oh, fair enough. I prefer it with the pith as it's chunkier and I think the bitterness mostly goes when it's boiled.

I've been asked to make a Christmas pudding for the first time ever this year as my mum has a bad back, home made peel features heavily, as does brandy :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Methuselah said:
Oh, fair enough. I prefer it with the pith as it's chunkier and I think the bitterness mostly goes when it's boiled.

I've been asked to make a Christmas pudding for the first time ever this year as my mum has a bad back, home made peel features heavily, as does brandy :)

Although I have another batch or two to make...and I might be erm less zealous about the pith...hehe....just because I am lazy.... hehe

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
It's certainly worth trying a batch with all the pith - I don't find it bitter, and I probably wouldn't bother if I had to do all that scraping!

:eek:fftopic: I'm glad I typed up that recipe, I think I may start a blog with some recipes, that can be a start. Blogging seems to be very much the 'in thing'...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Methuselah said:
It's certainly worth trying a batch with all the pith - I don't find it bitter, and I probably wouldn't bother if I had to do all that scraping!

:eek:fftopic: I'm glad I typed up that recipe, I think I may start a blog with some recipes, that can be a start. Blogging seems to be very much the 'in thing'...

Grins...if they are a touch more bitter.....its for my family......oddly appropriate ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm