Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Ellroy Goes to the Movies

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I've read James Ellroy here and there. Sometimes I loved him (White Jazz). Sometimes I got a little bored (Black Dahlia). But whenever there is a movie project attached to James Ellroy, I am all about it.

LA Confidential hit the mark, I think most of us agree.

While Black Dahlia fell short, Dark Blue is one of my favorite movies of the 2000s. It isn't an Ellroy novel; it's an Ellroy story/screenplay. And I think it is a fantastic movie about corrupt cops and a fantastic movie about the LA riots. (Also one of my favorite directors, Ron Shelton.)

So, all future Ellroy projects are on my radar, so to say. Soon to come is another Ellroy screenplay, starring Keanu Reeves, called Night Watch (not to be confused with the Russian vampire movie) -- I will be there in spades. (Directed by writer of Training Day and Dark Blue.)

And then, after that, the movie version of my favorite Ellroy Novel, White Jazz, starring Clooney. Hopes may be running a little too high, but that's part of the fun.

James Ellroy has also written a screenplay of a White Heat remake (don't worry, that was scrapped) and Bruce Willis wants to turn his political thrillers into a miniseries. I guess what I am trying to say is: Ellroy is permanent Hollywood and I am happy about it.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I like his work too. The cool thing about Black Dahlia and White jazz is that they are the beginning and end - repectively - of his LA Quratet, throughout which you see not just a multilayered view of Los Angeles evolve, but the writer himself. Black Dahlia is a little off here and there, but by White Jazz he'd developed his own mature style, and it is a cracker. I think it'll make a great movie whereas BD was probably always a little doomed.

I agree that Dark Blue is a great piece of work, terribly underrated.

Have you seen COp or Brown's Requiem? Neither is great, but worhtwhile if you're a fan.

Night Watch sounds like crap to me though, a sow's ear is a sow's ear even if a writer I otherwise respect calls it a silk purse.

The Shield, especially the first three seasons, reminded me a lot of an Ellroy book.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
jake_fink said:
Have you seen COp or Brown's Requiem? Neither is great, but worhtwhile if you're a fan.

Night Watch sounds like crap to me though, a sow's ear is a sow's ear even if a writer I otherwise respect calls it a silk purse.

The Shield, especially the first three seasons, reminded me a lot of an Ellroy book.

No, I haven't checked out Cop or Brown's Req. Honestly, I didn't know of them until a couple hours ago. I'll check them out eventually, though. As a matter of point.

Night Watch ... well, Keanu Reeves may not be the actor's actor, but I usually like him. Hugh Laurie and Forest Whitaker in supporting roles, though; that's pretty golden. It's a newbie director, but I trust David Ayer's taste. And the plot summary -- my bet is that the screenplay is poorly represented by the tag lines that I've read. Either way, I won't be surprised if it fails to live up to Dark Blue, but I'm holding out anyway.

I've gotten numerous recommendations for The Shield. Especially as a fan of The Wire, I am told I will dig The Shield that much more. And I believe all words on the subject completey; I just haven't gotten around to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points