Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack Vettriano

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I am not a Vettriano fan. His paintings do not appeal to me whatsoever. I love Edward Hopper's work and can't imagine how you would like the two. I mention it because i have heard them compared, which to me is strange.

I can see a similarity between Hopper and some of Vettriano's tamer stuff.

djd

Practically Family
djd mentioned the pictures triggering the imagination to build a narrative around each scene. Its interesting because I would say that about Hopper but not Vettriano.

Just posting this for a different viewpoint.

It's certainly not the case for all his paintings but I guess whether something triggers your imagination is a very personal thing. Some are I admit, just rather bland. However, if nothing else Vettriano's popularity can do no harm in reintroducing vintage styles (and hats!) to the wider public. that has to be a good thing, right? :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For the record, Vettriano's work leaves me cold too.

It's okay in a commercial illustration kind of way - effective, but facile. Sure, I like its retro aspect, but it doesn't speak to me as art. Not in the way that Hopper's work does. (Now mind you, I love plenty of illustrators, pop artists, comics artists, etc., and I understand that not everything need be a high-toned commentary on the human condition. But even given that, somehow, I just can't get worked up about Vettriano.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran