Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket fit- better zipped/buttoned or open??

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have realized that depending on the jacket cut and dimensions some fit and look better open as opposed to zipped/buttoned up or vice versa.
My recent Himal Kensington looks great unzipped but like Ton, I like knowing I can zip up a jacket and it will also look good.

My Good Wear Beck 666RS looks better zipped up but my Kensington looks better unzipped.
Opinions on your own jacket observations appreciated.

IMG_7612.jpg
IMG_7614.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think i like most jacket half zipped and butonned by one or two.

In my own opinion only thin leather or truly broken in jacket look good worn open. Even when it looks good from the front usually since the back of jacket is the least broken in, or more structured with kidney panel, side panel, belt etc, it would flare up on the back unless the leather is thin or trully broken in, or long and heavy like a coat.

Only for riding or in the rain, etc. doing its original intended purpose a jacket can be worn fully zipoed or butonned, looks ridiculous otherwise no matter how good the fit, perhaps some denim jacket can get away with being buttoned all the way since they kinda look like a heavy shirt

Last edited:

jonbuilder

How I wear jackets depends on temperature and jacket lining. I like to wear jackets zipped or buttoned to the chest unless too warm then I wear them not fastened or cold or riding then I fastened them to the throat. The exception is, if I want to appear well dressed, then my jackets are fastened to the chest comfort be-damed.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I live in Southern California so I have gotten used to wearing my jackets unzipped. My jackets all look good zipped I think and I think my Sunset actually looks better zipped, but I prefer to wear all my jackets unzipped and my denim jackets unbuttoned.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
They do, that's why i like to take a picture both open and closed in my reviews. I think it helps judge the fit better.
But in wear, to me it is a decision entirely driven by the weather, not what the result looks like.

Not on topic, but i agree with @Seb Lucas, this Beck looks huge compared to the Kensington, the square shoulders really look oversized, especially when open.

sweetfights

I agree that a jacket needs to look good zipped up. I almost never zip them up but the option is important.

Sweetfights, I don't mean to be a dick but is that cafe racer rather big and long? Is that how you like to wear them?

It is an inch longer than I would request and is looser than I normally would like in a cafe racer like but I like it this one zipped.

sweetfights

They do, that's why i like to take a picture both open and closed in my reviews. I think it helps judge the fit better.
But in wear, to me it is a decision entirely driven by the weather, not what the result looks like.

Not on topic, but i agree with @Seb Lucas, this Beck looks huge compared to the Kensington, the square shoulders really look oversized, especially when open.

Agreed- The Beck looks better zipped. One is too tight the other too loose.

sweetfights

The correct TFL thing to do would be to keep both, the Beck to layer, the Himel to wear over a shirt.
And then one is black and one is brown, they are basically completely different jackets and you need both!

A jacket for every occasion, color and style would be the correct TFL cultural thing to do!!!!

Feraud

Bartender
While it is true some jackets look better un-buttoned I tend to approach jackets with a 'function first' mentality. Put it on, zip it up. Then judge the fit and feel. I am probably a minority in the jacket community but at this stage in life I don't want a dozen jackets sitting in my closet. Although somehow clothing seems to magically accumulate.. :p

Mich486

One Too Many
For leather jackets looking good zipped up it’s more important imho than unzipped. Excluding perhaps jean jackets, I’m normally ok not wearing any jacket if I’m fine wearing it open.

That is a fine cafe racer but it looks too big all around in these pictures. You’ll find a buyer easily if you decide to let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbuilder

This thread got me to thinking about how leather jackets were worn in past decades. I viewed the picture gallery of a thread Dinerman started urging posting pictures of people wearing vintage jackets. I judge it's about 50 / 50 jackets being worn fastened and not fastened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana