Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Fit Opinion - Schott 689 HH Jacket

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
This is a Schott 689 HH motorcycle jacket. It's primary function is to be worn on the bike, although I have been wearing it to break it in. Anyway do your worst, what is your opinion on the fit? I bought this jacket weighing 225 and I'm down to 207, I did this because I bulk during the winter to get stronger then I lose it during the spring but try and keep my strength level. I will sit at ~195 by the summer.

On the front view I tucked the shirt in to see the belt, the jacket sits well below my belt line, IMO it's a solid fit for an MC jacket.

ry%3D400

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Reactions: SJC
Looks good to me. Do you ever wear gloves? I don't ride without, but that's another topic. On your bike and off, it looks good. How does it feel? That's more important IMHO.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Looks like a good fit to me. Now get a Harley, and you will be good to go!

SACRILEGE!!!! That IS a Harley, 05 Fatboy... I wouldn't ride anything else :D I put on wild 1 RK bars and internally wired them so that may have thrown you off.

I always wear gloves Butte, but for the photo op it's easier to see where the sleeves fall with them off.

Looks like a great fit to me...but that's the way I like a MC jacket to fit.
Nice sleeve length...not skin tight...plus room for layering and not high riding for a back draft.
Nice jacket...still fits IMO.
HD

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
Yes the bar and what, at a quick glance, looked like a star (heaven forbid) on the tank.

That's a 15 year anniversary emblem I've never been crazy about it, I may have my friend paint the bike ( he owns a body shop and will do it for cost) and I'll put on a metal emblem. I've been riding since I was 5 and besides dirt bikes I've basically only owned Harleys, I started with my fathers Ironhead and then got a shovel, then an evo sporty, and now this fatboy that I got for a song. I also have a project shovel and pan that I'm still collecting parts for and busting rust.

I've been through a lot of jackets, I wore a Schott Perfecto for 10 years but outgrew it, since then I've owned two Vanson's, Legendary, another Schott, eBay special, a Pakistan leather from a local shop etc... Overall I liked the Vanson the best, fantastic leather I just could never get a good fit with it.

This jacket is a good fit I think, comfortable, functional, I just need it to break in a bit more.

To everyone else thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

That jacket looks as good or better than some customs, and if you're a body builder, even more amazing. I think you're good. Maybe try a Ducati sometime ;)

billyb

Familiar Face
Looks like a proper fit to me. For a purely MC jacket that is used specifically to ride, I prefer the bottom of the jacket not to go past the bottom of my beltline in the front, but that is assuming the jacket has a drop back that buys an inch or two of extra length. Your 689 HH does not, so I saying the length is proper for the design. The rest looks to fit really well too...and it is "off-the-shelf". Why couldn't I be so lucky?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
That's a 15 year anniversary emblem I've never been crazy about it, I may have my friend paint the bike ( he owns a body shop and will do it for cost) and I'll put on a metal emblem. I've been riding since I was 5 and besides dirt bikes I've basically only owned Harleys, I started with my fathers Ironhead and then got a shovel, then an evo sporty, and now this fatboy that I got for a song. I also have a project shovel and pan that I'm still collecting parts for and busting rust.

I've been through a lot of jackets, I wore a Schott Perfecto for 10 years but outgrew it, since then I've owned two Vanson's, Legendary, another Schott, eBay special, a Pakistan leather from a local shop etc... Overall I liked the Vanson the best, fantastic leather I just could never get a good fit with it.

This jacket is a good fit I think, comfortable, functional, I just need it to break in a bit more.

To everyone else thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

The fit looks perfect to me. I agree that the fit seems right for whatever weight you are at in the pics, and losing a few more shouldn't make much difference in how it looks on you.

I owned one of these jackets briefly, but the arms were too short so it had to go back. I really like this jacket overall, and was disappointed. Glad it's working out for you.

As Vansons go, I think there is a large variation in their sizing depending on when the jacket was made and what model you order. I just finally found a Vanson that fits me well (after 3 unsuccessful attempts). I had to rely on a combination of measurements because two of them were the correct sleeve length, but the shoulders were too narrow, which made the should er fit awkward and the sleeves too short. However, the Enfield that I just got is fantastic, and the cut is amazing - I lift my arms and the shoulder hardly creases. It might be worth another try at some point if you had fit problems.

jksu

Familiar Face
anyone know if the 689 hh sleeve lengths are longer than the same sized 641 or 141?

the 641/141 sleeves are about 1" shorter than i'd like especially in the riding position (sold a 641 recently because shoulders a bit wide and sleeves a bit short)...just wondered if the 689 hh had a different cut/pattern and had longer sleeves.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Looks like a perfect fit to me.
Now, just out of pure curiosity, doesn't anybody here ride something other than a HD?
Like a Triumph?
All you other riders, speak up.
I don't think the HD guys will bite your head off. :D
Lenny

IXL

One Too Many
I ride a BMW R1200GS, along with my Harley Road King Classic, a Harley XR1200X Sportster (a very, very fun bike), and my Piaggio BV250 scooter, three other Harleys, a Yamaha dirt bike, and still have my 1979 Can-Am Qualifier. The Triumph Speed Triple is on my list of "will haves", though.
I have enough variety that I get waved-at, pointed-at, flipped-off, thumbed-up, thumbed-down, and completely ignored by just about everyone, depending on what I'm riding at the time.

IXL

One Too Many
I don't know, that BMW sewing-machine is pretty sweet on all those rural Oklahoma washed-out dirt roads.

jksu

Familiar Face
i think the jacket fits great -- i can see how sizing would be harder for you just because your weight/muscles fluctuate so much depending on time of year/training cycle.
do you wear the jacket only on the bike? meaning, how is it, being horsehide, as a casual jacket? i love the look, but tend to wear only armored jackets on the bike so would consider a 689hh for casual wear...

as for midlife crisis, i think mine involves getting into leather jackets ;-)

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Fits great. I love the styling of that model. I was thinking of buying the same jacket, but bought an old Schott police leather jacket on eBay and it actually fit me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points