Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket guys/gals, what briefcase do you carry? Do you match or change bags?

pawineguy

One Too Many
I had a question recently about my Saddleback bag (and I'm sure there are multiple owners here) and I promised I'd post a picture, so I snapped a few photos of all the bags I carry. Not quite as bad as jackets but I've acquired a few over the years and I do rotate through them. Filson computer bag and Saddleback Large Brief are the two I use the most.

IMG_5502.JPG
IMG_5503.JPG
Rimowa Salsa Deluxe that matches my luggage
IMG_5504.JPG
Booq Boa Shift, very well made computer backpacks
IMG_5505.JPG

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good question. I have an old black messenger bag from Coach that I use for most occasions at work (I teach) and don't usually give it much thought unless I plan to wear my brown Aero LHB (Nov.-March), which I just can't match with a black bag. So I got a Crew olive drab shoulder bag with brown straps for those occasions.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I carry nylon messenger bag - so much more practical than the Saddleback satchel I own. I never match anything - belts, shoes whatever. Life is too short.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I carry nylon messenger bag - so much more practical than the Saddleback satchel I own. I never match anything - belts, shoes whatever. Life is too short.

I don't match bags as it's just not very practical, but I will change the bag based on what I need to carry or where I'm going.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I use a Halliburton aluminum briefcase for work, mainly because it's retro style goes well with a fedora.
For weekends out with wife, kids, and dog, I use a canvas Bag 'n' Noun shoulder bag in chocolate brown, because I end up having to carry so many things.
TBH, I prefer to not have to use anything. Just put my wallet and keys in my pocket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
round-case.jpg
that thing currently, I put my a4 papers half in with my soft pencil case on it, roll the other half around it, close the upper half, and snaps, the rest go into my pockets.
if I don't bring my papers, then I sometime carry this "fannypack" thing
fanny-pack.jpg

if I bring my laptop, then I use the bag that came with the laptop.

Edward

Bartender
I've used several different bags and cases over the years. These days, I have one large briefcase in leather which the office bought (this one - https://www.theleatherbriefcase.co....and-made-in-italy-pelle-tradizionale-pt-9404/ - except mine is an earlier model with a different handle), and several other bags which I use as and when. Since I downsized from using a larger laptop to a Microsoft Surface for work, I tend to use that big briefcase for travelling (great carry-on luggage for work trips), and something smaller when I'm just carrying the Surface around (if I don't have to do anything at night and/or I'm back in the office again the next day, I tend not to carry it home). I regularly use a traditional, black leather satchel in a medium size. I also have a somewhat smaller Brady Bag, which is excellent for a day bag when I just want to carry a camera, a book, and maybe some snacks. I plan to buy a couple more Brady Bags so I can switch them around to coordinate. They're not cheap - about £150 a throw - but excellent quality, handmade in England by the same company for the last century or so, and they don't let the wet in. At a time I was very happy with cheap, canvas surplus bags, but unfortunately they are no good in a wet climate. The Brady bags are designed to cope with water (being originally fishing bags, and still much-used for that purpose). They're also the sort of price where I can realistically think about having a green, a blue and a black, in addition to my existing tan model, for about the same price as one Saddleback. When the pound gets stronger again, I'd still love a Saddleback suitcase, though.

pawineguy

One Too Many
I've used several different bags and cases over the years. These days, I have one large briefcase in leather which the office bought (this one - https://www.theleatherbriefcase.co....and-made-in-italy-pelle-tradizionale-pt-9404/ - except mine is an earlier model with a different handle), and several other bags which I use as and when. Since I downsized from using a larger laptop to a Microsoft Surface for work, I tend to use that big briefcase for travelling (great carry-on luggage for work trips), and something smaller when I'm just carrying the Surface around (if I don't have to do anything at night and/or I'm back in the office again the next day, I tend not to carry it home). I regularly use a traditional, black leather satchel in a medium size. I also have a somewhat smaller Brady Bag, which is excellent for a day bag when I just want to carry a camera, a book, and maybe some snacks. I plan to buy a couple more Brady Bags so I can switch them around to coordinate. They're not cheap - about £150 a throw - but excellent quality, handmade in England by the same company for the last century or so, and they don't let the wet in. At a time I was very happy with cheap, canvas surplus bags, but unfortunately they are no good in a wet climate. The Brady bags are designed to cope with water (being originally fishing bags, and still much-used for that purpose). They're also the sort of price where I can realistically think about having a green, a blue and a black, in addition to my existing tan model, for about the same price as one Saddleback. When the pound gets stronger again, I'd still love a Saddleback suitcase, though.

I had to look up Brady Bags as I wasn't familiar with the term, but certainly recognized the style when I saw them. I have a smaller Filson bag that I use to throw across my body when I'm traveling and I want to carry a few extra items like guide books. Sort of half a Brady Bag if you will, and the waxed material keeps things pretty dry if any rain hits, as you noted.

IMG_5508.JPG

tonypaj

Practically Family
I've had the same bag for over 20 years:
PS8XBZH.jpg

although I found 2 gunmetal grey Haliburtons from the 70s in the garage when we bought our first home which I occasionally carry my laptop in.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm mostly using a leather version of an MKVII bag.

Really useful with all these compartments

Is that a modern version of the old British Army gas mask bag? I used to use those for PE kit at school about 1970. Probably emblazoned(in ballpoint pen) with football teams, pop groups and sports badges. 25p from the local Army and Navy surplus store

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
ah...my other true obsession...(to round out with jackets, watches, and shoes).

I have a lot I rotate through, although my favorite is the last bag I purchased, a Thrux Lawrence canvas and Horween backpack, simple...beautiful...and built like a tank. Thrux.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I had to look up Brady Bags as I wasn't familiar with the term, but certainly recognized the style when I saw them. I have a smaller Filson bag that I use to throw across my body when I'm traveling and I want to carry a few extra items like guide books. Sort of half a Brady Bag if you will, and the waxed material keeps things pretty dry if any rain hits, as you noted.

View attachment 30588

Yeah. To the best of my knowledge Brady were doing them first, but there are a few companies doing similar things. I like the aesthetics of the combined leather / canvas - I think it gives it less of a briefcase' vibe for casual wear, yet - to my eye at least - they don't look wrong with something a bit more office-wear (short of a suit, though the black one....). The Brady bags were originally conceived as angling bags for ladies (male anglers, of course, had trouser pockets...), but it's mostly men have taken to using them in the decades since. They still sell well to the field sports crowd, though I rather suspect that nowadays they sell as many bags to folks just looking a practical manbag.... Nice style, beautiful build quality. I'm sure the Filson is the same. The Brady buckles are a joy; I'm not a fan of the 2looks like a buckle but has a hidden quick-release catch underneath" style of so many modern bags. The Brady has a quick release design. but doesn't compromise the style. I have my eye on the large Ariel Trout model in other colours (my current bag in an Andare, and I love it. Best thing is that I won it in a competition in The Chap[I/]!). The leather version is twice the price, but it sure is tempting.

Your Filson is cool - reminds me of some of the Aeriel designs, particularly the cartridge pouches.

Edward

Bartender
ah...my other true obsession...(to round out with jackets, watches, and shoes).

I have a lot I rotate through, although my favorite is the last bag I purchased, a Thrux Lawrence canvas and Horween backpack, simple...beautiful...and built like a tank. View attachment 30595

That is really nice. I've been toying with eventually buying one of the Saddleback briefcases that can be worn as a backpack, when the pound rallies. I really like the look of this too, though. Are they in the same ballpark, price-wise?

that Thrux Lawrence is nice.
I wish they did one in olive. Do they have a lifetime guarantee?
Mine from the Village Tannery in NYC does. Gotta love free repairs for-ever.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Is that a modern version of the old British Army gas mask bag? I used to use those for PE kit at school about 1970. Probably emblazoned(in ballpoint pen) with football teams, pop groups and sports badges. 25p from the local Army and Navy surplus store

Yes you are right, I have an original one as part of my Indy Gear, I used it a lot but I didn't want to damage it too much so I got this one in leather. It was made by Wade Egan, he is know to make a few leather Indy Gear such as bag strap, holster....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider