Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket selling advice

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
hi folks,
Just a quick question and sorry if it's in the wrong forum. I'm currently listing a GoodWear dark seal A2 in the classified section. Having recently listed a Russet GW A2 which got a heap of interest, I'm just a little surprised in the lack of interest in the DS A2 which is on at a very good price.
The only thing I can think of (other than seasonal issues) is the fact it has a Sqn patch and name tag on it. Do you think it would be worth while removing the patches and re listing it? It's goat hide and pretty grainy so the holes would not be overly apparent and the patches are not glued on so the holes would be the only issue.

What do you think?

Regards

Garry

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
I'm the same Guppy, particularly with military jackets. Each to their own thoughts but I feel military badges have to be earned or at least be in honour of someone who has earned them.

Garry

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Removing patches and leaving stitch holes will significantly lower the value of the jacket.

Most people don't like patches, so the amount of people interested into this jacket is just lower than the other jacket. However it'a still a Goodwear, sooner or later someone who likes patches will see and buy it, I'm sure. I'd give it time.

They'll be back in fashion. Saw a hipster with a mullet the other day. Bona fide mullet, the exaggerated kind you'd see in some parody of the 80's. If that made a comeback, patches will too.

Don't remove the patches, @Lord Flashheart. That's one thing that would really hurt the sale. I personally hate stitch holes, much more than even the ugliest patch. It just looks plain bad and you can only cover it up with another patch which has to be bigger and since most people don't even like patches... No, leave it as it is. Selling on TFL takes a while but it'll happen. It's a great jacket, the patch is pretty cool and the price is even better. Someone will come along.

seres

A-List Customer
Leave the patches on. But perhaps mention the grainy hide may help conceal the holes.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I took a quick look at your jacket but the measurements don't work for me. It's a painfully beautiful A-2 that will sell in time. Don't fret. There are like 200 guests viewing it; someone will make a new account just to be able to PM you ;) Happens all the time.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice guys, patience has never been my strong point.

Nick123, I’ll have another look at the measurements as I found with the russet one I sold that I was either drunk or using a rubber measuring tape! I’ll update the ad soon after.

Regards

Garry

I'm an Army vet and did 'earn' or was issued some patches for some of my service. However..to me these kind of A2s and even other military patched jackets are 'honoring' those who did serve in combat years ago and for many of us mean just that. Leave them on. It's a fine A2 and should sell to someone who appreciates it and fits into it.

Forgot to add - members with less than 10 posts can't use the personal messages system which means that lurkers can't contact you. Those really interested might make a post but it wouldn't be such a bad idea to include your email in the listing as well. I sold almost all of my jackets like that, people who couldn't use the PM emailing me directly.

Hh121

Banned
But you came to a right place, in some place you will get yourself a trouble by posting your ad as your first post. Crazy people

CBI

One Too Many
Nice jacket! Patches and stitch holes most always greatly reduce the resale value. You might looking at $350-450 as an actual sale price. Yes, it can cut the price down that much!

kirkaero

New in Town
I think with any kind of customization you have to find someone who likes both the original item and the changes you have made. So if you lower a car and paint it purple you greatly reduce the number of potential buyers. You have to find another person who shares your taste. As far as people not wanting to wear something that their not entitled to I don't understand this in regard to WW2 jackets. Like HoosierDaddy, I am an Army veteran, and the issue I have is people flying false colors or pretending to be something they are not. If you are under 90 (or 80 and look 90) no one is going to think you are claiming to have served with that unit in WW2. If I see a guy in his 50's wearing a AVG patched jacket I don't think that he is falsely claiming to be a WW2 veteran. I see it as a tribute. However, I see rank and awards differently. If you haven't earned them don't wear them. Good luck with the sale.

Reactions: Dav

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points