Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket's Trading Guidance?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Asking for help here doesn't really help you any -- we can see the ad where you posted it originally, and it's off-topic for the Outerwear forum to ask for help selling something you've already listed in Classifieds.

You posted to the Classified section, which is the appropriate place to find a buyer or trade offer. It's just a matter of time.

Your asking price was rather high. I realize that this was a limited run of 50 jackets (I own one myself, in Large -- it's a great jacket.) But if you start out that high, it's going to be a while before you find someone who really wants it who will be willing to pay that much. Limited run or no, that price puts it in the territory of custom made jackets by other makers who have a reputation higher than Schott, so I'd expect a lot of us would look at that price and realize they can get better value for their $ going that route. I got mine for a ridiculous bargain price of $405, and I would say it's easily worth double that, maybe even triple, but I don't know if I'd go to 4x. Certainly someone who absolutely wanted that specific model would, but it might take you some time to find that individual. If you're looking to move it, start around $800, it'll probably be gone in a day, two tops. Maybe a little longer than that given that you're a new account and thus haven't earned a reputation for fair dealing yet.

RILO

One of the Regulars
sorry mate.
Goodkareem put his CXL113 XLarge WTS WTT correct.
I RILO have the same Jacket on a Large size just like yours...
and we want to trade. Therefore the Help Thread.
Thanks on the price lecture but out of topic. Sure he can ask what he wants for it and that be that.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
sorry mate.
Thanks on the price lecture but out of topic. Sure he can ask what he wants for it and that be that.

Oh ok. Well your question wasn't very clear as to what sort of help you were looking for. If you found someone who you want to trade with, what's the problem? Each of you can put it in the mail to the other, no? Why a need to get anyone else involved?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Oh ok. Well your question wasn't very clear as to what sort of help you were looking for. If you found someone who you want to trade with, what's the problem? Each of you can put it in the mail to the other, no? Why a need to get anyone else involved?

I kinda agree with you, but i would only do that with known members.
These two guys are both brand new, and have no way of knowing the other guys isn't just going to run away with their jackets... I understand the conundrum.

dannyk

One Too Many
I kinda agree with you, but i would only do that with known members.
These two guys are both brand new, and have no way of knowing the other guys isn't just going to run away with their jackets... I understand the conundrum.
True. I have traded back and forth on TFL a ton of times. But always with known members with good reputations. If they are both brand new I see an area of some concern. But I also suppose now that theyve made this exchange public, now we all know and can shame the person if they dont follow through! haha not that it does any good if the jacket isnt sent. Umm what I always do though as an insurance is ask the person for a picture of the receipt from the post office or FedEx or whoever you are using. And make sure to get insurance on it just in case if its as valuable as these jackets are. Its not fool proof but that way you at least know they put something in the mail, know where and when it was put in the mail and have a tracking number.

Last edited:

RILO

One of the Regulars
True. I have traded back and forth on TFL a ton of times. But always with known members with good reputations. If they are both brand new I see a major concern. But I also suppose now that theyve made this exchange public, now we all know and can shame the person if they dont follow through! haha not that it does any good if the jacket isnt sent. Umm what I always do though as an insurance is ask the person for a picture of the receipt from the post office or FedEx or whoever you are using. And make sure to get insurance on it just in case if its as valuable as these jackets are. Its not fool proof but that way you at least know they put something in the mail, know where and when it was put in the mail and have a tracking number.
Thank you X2

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
What I've done in the past has been to ask the seller to prove they have the item, by sending me a photo of the item with a hand-written sign that says something like "hi, guppy, [today's date] signed, seller". That establishes that they really have the item in hand, and aren't simply selling something using images they found on the internet somewhere else. If they do that, then I will trust that they are good to their word, and send the payment.

I don't feel it necessary to do that if they have an established presence on a forum like this.

For two new forum users, that's understandable that you'd want to establish trust before moving forward. Exchange real names, phone numbers, call each other, and talk, and that's probably enough.

If you really want security, you could use an escrow service. Before paypal/ebay buyer protection, escrow services were a somewhat uncommon, but useful, service. I'm not aware of any escrow services that I could recommend currently, but I used one about 20 years ago, and it was worth it.

Hopefully it'll all work out. Good luck :)

Goodkareem

New in Town
My suggestion is to both do a low amount paypal invoice with pictures and all. Then send that way. Im fine with talking over phone, email, Facebook messenger also. You can check my grailed of the same name too. I have almost 100 karma and an article of me is on the front page.

sorry mate.
I just worked a trade on hats with a Lounger.....I just trusted the guy.

dannyk

One Too Many
I just worked a trade on hats with a Lounger.....I just trusted the guy.
I will say I’ve always known TFL to have a great reputation on the trade and sale front. Most of the complaints around here have actually been geared toward bad return policy or messed up orders at actual makers not very many if any complaints against members. Most of the people here try and go out of their way to trade and sell to fellow members. Reduce prices or no shipping or what have you to keep it in the family so to speak.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112