Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jakes Vintage - New LA Vintage Store Article

cookie

I'll Lock Up
From Mens Style Mag
An L.A. vintage shop brings back the "real man"

Jake Vintage, which opens tonight in Los Feliz, is a rare thing: a Los Angeles secondhand shop that's stocked with stuff you might actually want to wear to work. Its wares are organized by era and include mint-condition button-down shirts and meticulously detailed suits dating back to the late forties. Should you need a tailor, owner Jonathan Kanarek will happily recommend his, or you can let him take your measurements right there on the spot. (He'll also arrange head-to-toe looks.) "I want men to relearn the rules of dressing," he says. "It's a good time to be a real man again." To enhance the real-man appeal, the store keeps top-shelf Scotch at the ready. And if you ask nicely, Kanarek will even let you strum one of the guitars on display—they are, of course, vintage.
Jake Vintage, 4644 Hollywood Blvd., Los Feliz, (323) 662-JAKE

JOANNA PENA
Photo: Kim Grisco

FedoraGent

One Too Many
I've been there and do like the store

Folks,

I've been there and have met the owner, Jonathan Kanerek. He's a great guy and has a hell of an eye for vintage. The shop is very particular and it's helful that there is a vintage store, Ozzie Dots across the street and next door to that is the barber shop that I goto called "Sweeney Todd's".

FG.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I read that Kanerek will be giving seminars after the 1st of the year. Anyone have any information on that?

Jovan

Suspended
Enough already!

This simply isn't fair! All the great vintage shops are in LA and NY. :rage:

Sounds exactly like my kind of store. I like the attitude of it being a clothing store that happens to sell all original vintage, rather than a dusty old flea market feel.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
More in SF.

Jovan,

If you think that's alot...you should goto San Francisco some time. That my friend will make your head spin.

FG.
Jovan said:
This simply isn't fair! All the great vintage shops are in LA and NY. :rage:

Sounds exactly like my kind of store. I like the attitude of it being a clothing store that happens to sell all original vintage, rather than a dusty old flea market feel.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I was there while visiting the Queen in November ( QM get together) and was not terribly impressed with the inventory but VERY impressed with Jonathan, his sense of style, and his presentation. Inventory needs help only in quantity, not quality. It's a very small store but I can see the potential and have agreed to help him as I can.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I went in there a few months ago. The guy was incredibly nice and easy to talk with and he did mention he was planning some courses at some point. The prices felt expensive to me, but on the other hand, I've never been in a walk in vintage store that is specifically geared to my needs. So maybe it makes some amount of sense. I saw a terrific suit there, 40's double breasted 3 piece white and black herringbone for 500 bucks. It didn't fit me but he offered to take it to his tailor himself to see if there was enough material to make it fit me. Apparently they could just make it work for me, but I felt like $500 + all the alteration costs for a suit that would have no give left as it was all let out was too much for my already badly beaten and bruised credit card, so I passed on that one. But he was still a great guy to work with in a nice atmosphere. I kinda wouldn't mind just hanging out there :p

Snookie

Practically Family
+1 and I are planning on checking this out soon, and will report back. Just wanted to say in regards to the higher prices, it is typical (and sensible) that nicer stores charge more. That same garment might sell for a lot less at a flea market or even on Ebay, but the way I look at it, I'm paying for the time someone else spent in sorting out the junk. I don't shop at flea markets or Ebay because I don't like to sift through the junk myself. It's such a pleasure to go in a clean, organized store that carries only the best that I'm willing to pay extra.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Snookie said:
+1 and I are planning on checking this out soon, and will report back. Just wanted to say in regards to the higher prices, it is typical (and sensible) that nicer stores charge more. That same garment might sell for a lot less at a flea market or even on Ebay, but the way I look at it, I'm paying for the time someone else spent in sorting out the junk. I don't shop at flea markets or Ebay because I don't like to sift through the junk myself. It's such a pleasure to go in a clean, organized store that carries only the best that I'm willing to pay extra.

I certainly agree! And therefore it was a different sort of experience. A good one, but not for the weak of credit lines :p

Dagwood

Practically Family
July 23, 2008
Stay Classy
The Lost Art of Being a Gentleman

To stay on top of the game, well, you have to keep playing it.

So even the most esteemed arbiter of style could use a refresher now and then. Registration is now open for The Lost Art of Being a Gentleman, a new series of classes brought to you by the natty proprietor of Jake Vintage in Los Feliz.

Going by the name Jonathan H. Kanarek, he should meet your criteria for a qualified instructor—among his many sartorial accomplishments, he was shortlisted by Esquire last year as one of the top five best-dressed men in the country. (Luckily for him, you just missed the submission deadline.)

So despite current LA trends, he won't be advising you on the perfectly shredded jean or the artfully plunging V-neck. Expect instead to pour some gin and start with the basics in class one—The Rules of Proper Dress, addressing (among other things) correct fit from head to toe—and progress in subsequent sessions to topics like etiquette and grooming, all with midcentury icons like Sinatra and Stewart in mind.

So you can once again prove they do make 'em like they used to.

The Lost Art of Being a Gentleman, first class Sept 4, $65, Jake Vintage, 4644 Hollywood Blvd (E. of Vermont), Los Feliz, reservations required at 323-662-5253

swanky_frankie

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
It's a pretty good store... much of it post Kennedy era and you will find some ties and extras of interest.

I was invited down to his shop a few weeks back and wrote an article for LA section of The Cad..

We're in talks about having a few cocktail parties at his shop now and again...

Check it out.

http://thecad.net/los_angeles.htm

Hi Matt,
What are your thoughts on his pricing on suits?
My barber is across the street so I may go check the shop out afterwards.

-f

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Todd...

swanky_frankie said:
Hi Matt,
What are your thoughts on his pricing on suits?
My barber is across the street so I may go check the shop out afterwards.

-f

I get my hair cut by Todd and Danny across the street as well. Jonathan K. at Jake Vintage is very particular about choosing his stock choices by hand. As a result he has a very steep mark up. I've found him excessively expensive.

FG.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I love this place. I go hang out at Jakes after school on Fridays sometimes. It's a 20 minute ride from my school in West Hollywood. Even if your not buying anything, you can probably talk away about alot with Jonathan from clothes, to movies, to style and old L.A. to just about anything. I like his selection in general, especially the ties, hats, and jackets. His overall selection is low right now because of the holidays but there is more stuff every time I go in. The prices are high, but I don't think they are outrageous. I'd say that some of his items are in like new condition. It just depends on what you want to pay, and if you really want it:p. Its definitely worth checking out in my opinion. I'm saving up for a late 30's early 40's Western-ish jacket ive had my eye on.

swanky_frankie

New in Town
FedoraGent said:
I get my hair cut by Todd and Danny across the street as well. Jonathan K. at Jake Vintage is very particular about choosing his stock choices by hand. As a result he has a very steep mark up. I've found him excessively expensive.

FG.

Thanks for the scoop FG.
Hey maybe we've crossed paths at Sweeneys! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko