Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Deans leather jacket

North_Star

One of the Regulars
What jacket is James Dean wearing? It has similarities to Indian Ranger but can anyone confirm this.
dean.jpg

North_Star

One of the Regulars
Only thing that isn't quite right is the positioning of the snaps in the collars. But yet again did they really do it that accuretly back in the days.

Only thing that isn't quite right is the positioning of the snaps in the collars. But yet again did they really do it that accuretly back in the days.

Good eye but I think that's just how the machinist installed them. The position of the snaps seems to be least consistent on vintage jackets.
The throat latch is also different and the jacket is way too long - the chest pocket, while at the right angle, is much lower than on most IR's that I've seen. But I'm still pretty sure it's the Indian Ranger. Possibly a Long version?

Indian Ranger is a beautiful jacket and hey, best part, Aero makes the only (and the most) accurate repro out there.

It's anotehr one that Schott claim for their own, I believe.... so, in short, probably not a Schott but possibly some other brand they bought out and dropped and so now claim it was theirs! ;)

Dean's jacket that Schott claims they made is actually by Cal Leathers. Well, at least they've since produced a nice looking CHP of their own but still. . .

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Jinkies, not looked at that one for a while, but damn, does it look good....

I'm going to spend my fifties looking like a mad old fart in all the Aero jackets I couldn't afford while I had a mortgage....
Tried one on in the sale. It was just on the wrong side of roomy, otherwise I'd have gone for it. Oddly, any other biker jacket I've ever tried just looked wrong on me - I'm not sure I have the correct 'attitude' for one, but the Ranger was the exception.

Edward

Bartender
Tried one on in the sale. It was just on the wrong side of roomy, otherwise I'd have gone for it. Oddly, any other biker jacket I've ever tried just looked wrong on me - I'm not sure I have the correct 'attitude' for one, but the Ranger was the exception.

THe glorious thing about the classic bike jacket, of cours,e is that there are just so many slight variations on the theme, one of them has to work! Have you tried the 59er HWM, btw?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I just was on their site Saturday evening and stumbled across this. Seems they just did a rebuild of an Indian Ranger for a customer, so between this and the one in their archives, they were able to build a new replica version. Sounds like they had one prior, but now it's official. I want one, in CXL FQHH, exactly as pictured but with 27" sleeves, in a size 42. Humm..maybe after Christmas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk