Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japan in the Golden Era

volvomeister13

One of the Regulars
I'm curious to see if there are many other FLers who are interested in Japan and Japanese culture and society, particularly in the 1910's up through the Golden Era (Taisho to early Showa periods, 1910s to 30's).

I know some folks had posted on here regarding Japan a few years ago and the prospects were bleak. As a student of Japanese and frequent visitor to Japan, I can attest to the way in which the past several decade have seen a horrific onslaught against history in the name of "progress" or "modernization," in which culture and character have been destroyed to no real benefit. Instead of "progress" and "modernization," the right terms would really be "pork barrel politics," a corrupt bureaucratic government that is basically one and the same body with a way out of control construction industry, and an unfortunate populace so overworked by the country's bureaucratic institutions that they've hardly had time to even participate in their own fantastic living cultural heritage. During much of the postwar period, nothing was too sacred to be sacrificed in the name of "economic growth." Japan's cities were turned into endless seas of concrete modernist blocks and dull glass skyscrapers.

However, things seem to be slowly changing in the years since the economic bubble burst, even more so in recent years. Lately, Japanese traditional clothing has grown in prevalence once more, more and more younger people are opting out of the abusive corporate culture, several historic restoration, conservation, and rebuilding projects have happened. A minority of new buildings like the Mitsubishi Ichigokan in Tokyo (a reproduction of a demolished Meiji/Victorian era building) and the St. Regis Hotel in Osaka (a totally new 1920's style building) are showing a small push back in the direction of culture and artistry. Rather than being replaced with ugly glass boxes (a la 1970's modernizations), the Ginza Kabuki-Za theater was rebuilt in its original style (albeit with a giant office building behind it). War-damaged Tokyo Station was finally restored to its original design. The 1920's Asakusa Station was also restored after having a lot of ugly 1960's aluminum panels removed from the facade.

Things often seem framed in terms of the current moment versus traditional Edo-period Japan (e.g. samurai, geisha, tea ceremony, etc.), but that culture had a really fascinating (and aesthetically awesome) coexisting mixture with the western culture of the 1920's and 30's that we here at the FL love so much. Unfortunately, the unique styles and aesthetics that this period produced have often been overlooked by the world since then.

I know the negative aspects of modernity continue to be seen in Japan (and everywhere for that matter), but I can't help but feel that there is some new momentum in a better direction, toward a society where people realize that modernity should be about how our technology functions and that great cultural and aesthetic traditions (be they in art, architecture, fashion, urban planning, etc.) should be able to coexist with technological innovation to combine the best of old and new.

Sorry this is such a long post. Anyone have any thoughts on this, particularly with regard to Japan?

Tokyo+Railway+Station.jpg
Post-war Tokyo Station

TokyoStaMB.JPG
Restored Tokyo station (upper floors, domes, and roof rebuilt per original 1913 design in 2013)

4965186217_b0613b1c83_b.jpg
St. Regis Hotel, Osaka

Kabuki-za_Theatre_2013_0328.jpg
New Kabuki-za

img357.jpg
Old Asakusa Station

275px-Tobu-Asakusa-Sta-201205.JPG
Restored Asakusa Station

Original_Tsutenkaku_and_Shinsekai.jpg
Taisho Era Japan

?????.jpg
Awesome Taisho-style interior

P1020694.jpg
Really fantastic currently unused train station somewhere in Japan

Last edited:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Love it! I am glad that someone is fighting back. They don't that here very much-the almighty dollar reigns supreme.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points