Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jason Bourne's topcoat

Steve

Practically Family
Hi all,

Quality of the films aside, I like the dark, simple look of Bourne's wardrobe in the three films. I'm attracted to Bourne's topcoat(s?), which he wears periodically in scenes where he's in cities. I'd like to try to find a similar one for myself, but I'm not sure if it's a special kind of garment or if I should "shop generic." Any suggestions? I apologize for the mediocre images, but they were the best I could find.

26BOURNE_narrowweb__200x282.jpg

poster_bourne-supremacy2.jpg

jason-bourne-lotta-armi.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I would just find a simple knee length coat in black and have a tailor take in the sides if it's too boxy. It seems to have a three button front, four button sleeves, and notched lapels. Very common style. Can't tell if it has a vent or not, but 99% of the time they will, due to longer length than a suit jacket.

EDIT: Burlington Coat Factory is a good suggestion...

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
For what I call thug-wear, it looks pretty good. I've been meaning to upgrade some of my own line of thug-wear lately. Unfortunately, the climate is a bit warm here (TX) for those types of coats. I imagine the same for FL. My trench coat rarely gets worn here, except for a few rainy days in the usually very mild winters.

M8

Erik

One of the Regulars
Generic, everyone's wear is where it is at for "special" and "secret" agents; despit the names they don't wish to perceived that way.

Then you've got to tailor it large to conceal the gear... Sigh, you look like a skinny man in a fat man's suit.

That is, if you've done a poor job and gotten yourself noticed to begin with... ;)

Think "gray man", as CIA Director William Colby termed it.

Dress to disappear into a crowd. Damon's job was to look good; a real spook's is to be dismissed as "nobody" at first glance. "Blend in, fade out, disappear" to steal a phrase from one of FL's collective favorite movies... Or for another take:
Zed (Rip Torn) said:
You'll not stand out in any way. Your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anyone you encounter. You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist; you were never even born. Anonymity is your name; silence, your native tongue.

Steve

Practically Family
I agree. I'd never wear a long coat if I didn't want to be noticed; of all people we should know that. :p

But one has to admit that worn with the right ensemble, a coat like that would definitely make a statement. Thanks again for the links Jovan, I've bookmarked one of them to follow up.

Martinis at 8 said:
For what I call thug-wear, it looks pretty good. I've been meaning to upgrade some of my own line of thug-wear lately. Unfortunately, the climate is a bit warm here (TX) for those types of coats. I imagine the same for FL. My trench coat rarely gets worn here, except for a few rainy days in the usually very mild winters.

M8
Florida truly is far too hot (and humid) for most of the year, but when the breeze and storms come off the Gulf of Mexico in the winter, it's absolutely frigid for 3 months of the year. It's about the only time one can wear a wool suit and not look like a sauna escapee.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I've always got a kick out of Hollywood's take on espionage movies.

James Bond is always dressed to the nines, the enemy always seems to know he's coming, but there seems to be this "gentleman's spy code" to let him live, and to at least have a shot at escaping some Rube Goldberg death contraption after the bad guys exit.

I don't know if anyone saw the PBS series "Riley, Ace of Spies", with Sam Neill, but it seemed to be closer to what you could really expect as a spy.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool to consistently win at Baccarat, Roulette, etc., and be able to pocket the winnings? :D

Feraud

Bartender
Steve said:
Florida truly is far too hot (and humid) for most of the year, but when the breeze and storms come off the Gulf of Mexico in the winter, it's absolutely frigid for 3 months of the year. It's about the only time one can wear a wool suit and not look like a sauna escapee.
If you want a topcoat to wear for more than 3 months look for a light weight material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot