Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaxon Iconoclast

mikey517

New in Town
I hope someone can help me with some information. I've read descriptions of the Iconoclast, and know it has a 2 5/8 brim, but can someone tell me the height of the crown?

I remember someone on this board passed on it because the crown was too low?

Seems like a great price for a fur felt.

Regards / Mike

Stern-Hank

New in Town
mikey517 said:
I hope someone can help me with some information. I've read descriptions of the Iconoclast, and know it has a 2 5/8 brim, but can someone tell me the height of the crown?

I remember someone on this board passed on it because the crown was too low?

Seems like a great price for a fur felt.

Regards / Mike

There are two Jaxon Iconoclasts. One with a 4 inch crown:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast_wool.html

...and one with a 4 1/2/ inch crown:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast_wool.html

Jaxon makes nice hats. I wish they would come out with the Jaxon Crushable Safari in Grey again.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Stern-Hank said:
Jaxon makes nice hats. I wish they would come out with the Jaxon Crushable Safari in Grey again.
I have one of those. Nice enough, but it can be a little scratchy on the scalp. That was actually my first brimmed hat, and I wore it daily for a while.

Recently modified the brim to a snap brim by compressing it around the edge in back, thinking it could be usable as an occasional outdoor hat. Haven't really worn it since though.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I considered the Jaxon Iconoclast sometime ago and these were helpful posts I found. At the time, Village Hats was out of my size, so I never got one.

Here's a review from the past...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9387&highlight=iconoclast

Here's a quote from member Doh!, 9/07, regarding black jackets with brown hats...

Doh! said:
Here's my black A-2 and brown Jaxon Iconoclast:

MeandSteveAllenbust06.jpg

I think they go together just fine.

Here's a link to the fur felt version. This is the 4-1/2" crown version...
http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast_fedora.html

theinterchange

One Too Many
Can anyone post a photo of the inside of a Jaxon? I'm probably going to order one as a kicking around hat, and am always curious what hats look like inside before buying. Thanks!

Randy

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Icono-classic

I bought an Iconoclast a little over a month ago, and after I got it trained, I really liked it.

I have a mint Whippet that I wear for dressy occasions and I was looking for a daily wearer that was also affordable.

The Iconoclast crown reshaped well, but an extra inch or so in height would make a world of difference. It's about 4.5 inches and that limits the bashing.

For a while the brim gave me trouble. I wanted to put it into a traditional fedora back-snap, but it just wouldn't stay. I kept getting that brim waiving that seems common for Iconos.

Instead, I reinforced the back-brim crease that was in the hat when I bought it. I just wetted the brim and worked the back over and over. It's hard on fingers, but it get the job done.

After I let it dry, the brim set well and has remained constant for weeks, now.

I soaked this hat to do the amount of shape changing that it required and I can't tell that it has shrunk, so it's hard to know what to suggest on the size. Many people suggest buying a size larger, and I did, but I'm still using a small sizer in the back to keep it snug.

The sweatband seems like very good leather for this price of hat, but the hat ribbon could be better. That is easily changed, though, and then I can pick the shade.

Over all — and I wear a fedora daily — this has been a good choice. Just be ready to do some customizing if you want a really good looking hat.

Still, that's half the fun.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:
For a while the brim gave me trouble. I wanted to put it into a traditional fedora back-snap, but it just wouldn't stay. I kept getting that brim waiving that seems common for Iconos.
That would be because it wasn't made to be a snap brim, it was made to stay down all around. It's meant to be their take on the Indy hat.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
down all-roun'

Even with the brim down all the way around, it still wouldn't hold its shape at first, but creasing the back seems to cause it to hold that shape better.
At least it's worked through a few weeks of pretty heavy use.
So far, so good.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
this is the Jaxon Iconoclas fur felt I got off ebay last year . It as in great shape paid very little for it ($30?) It takes a good shape . The back can be snapped up or down i ware it up mostly. The fur felt is very water resistant as well as soda as a bottle went off near it and it all rolled off.
I ware it more than a few Next to Stetson or the Seeentino I ware as well. this is great hat.. I love the feel of it and was wondering why Jaxon even stopped making it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ