Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean "Reveille with Beverly" Hay, RIP

The Captain

One of the Regulars
This item appeared today in my local paper.

Jean 'Reveille with Beverly' Hay dies

Fortuna resident a household name in WWII

Andrew Bird

The Times-Standard

FORTUNA -- Beverly's final reveille sounded Saturday night.

Jean Beverly Hay, who under the radio name "Reveille with Beverly" became a vital part of the propaganda effort to keep the morale of American forces high during the early dark days of World War II, died about 11 p.m. Saturday at Redwood Memorial Hospital.

Hay had celebrated her 87th birthday on Sept. 10, said Bob Hay, her son.

"The good part is she died quickly of natural causes without any suffering," said Hay, a Santa Barbara resident.

Hay and her husband, John, moved to Fortuna about four years ago from Santa Barbara, Hay said.

Hay's death brings to a close another chapter of the World War II story.

Hay started at a small Colorado radio station where she convinced the owner to let her have a slice of the early morning to broadcast a program to the troops at nearby Fort Logan.

This was in October 1941.

Within weeks the country was at war and her broadcasts took on a new importance.

Time magazine profiled Hay in January 1942, the same issue in which it named Franklin D. Roosevelt man of the year.

A photo profile in Life Magazine brought Hollywood calling with a movie offer and a chance to jump to a radio station with 10 times the wattage.

The movie was made. Hay says she declined an offer to star as herself, but she did accept the offer to move her program to 50,000-watt KNX radio in Hollywood.

Armed Services Radio began picking up her broadcasts and soon her program was pressed into vinyl and shipped to bases around the world.

The appeal of her broadcasts lay in Hay's cheery chatter, the music she played and her sense of humor, described by one GI as "sharp as jailhouse coffee."

"I would get more requests than I could possibly play," Hay told the Times-Standard in an interview last year. "I could only play a certain number, so I played the ones I liked the best."

Hay's final year was one of the best of her life, Bob Hay said.

In November she traveled to Washington, D.C., to receive an award for her service from the committee that built the memorial to World War II veterans.

In May she returned to the nation's capital to participate in the dedication of the memorial, the guest of the Smithsonian Institution, which featured her in the May issue of its magazine.

A private family service is planned later this week, Bob Hay said.

But the Fortuna chapter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars is planning to hold a ceremony for Hay on Veterans Day, Nov. 11, Hay said.

An extensive history of Hay's World War II exploits can be found at www.reveillewithbeverly.com

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Another small chapter closes...

In many ways, that's why it is important to talk to veterans and record their lives and feelings (as these will die with them, forever). The BBC in the UK have a special ongoing program of trying to encourage veterans to record their military careers for posterity and history, and are encouraging them to get it on tape and send it in to be archived.

But the nature of this fine lady who has passed away, means that much of her has already been recorded and archived.

Thanks for sharing that, as certainly in the UK we wouldn't get that sort of obituary.

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Paddy, I am glad you found this of interest. Just a few weeks ago, there was an article on this lady in a local news magazine. Up until then, I had no idea she lived in the same area as I do. I had heard of her work during the war. She brought a bit of home to the boys. Maybe she is re-united with them now.

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112