Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Jeans???

What are some currently manufactured jeans that have a vintage look to them without the $200 price tag?

jake431

Practically Family
Blackgrass said:
What are some currently manufactured jeans that have a vintage look to them without the $200 price tag?

It depends on what vintage feature you are looking for - there are some "cheaper" jeans out there that come close. J. Crew has a new fit that is fairly vintage - higher waist, straight legs, even selvage denim, $125. There is always eBay, but it's a mixed bag, and sizing is hard to nail down. What era vintage are you looking to emulate?

-Jake

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Jake- you just reminded me of your namesake...

Oh and don't forget 'Hennes & Mauritz'/H&M if they're in your town. I know they're in the -US but maybe only in the Big Smoke.

They have had (at least 2 consecutive seasons- and in their Scandinavian home countries) vintage styled, dark, selvedge out-seamed jeans and they cost peanuts. The denim is no match for the bigger money though.

Look for the darkest indigo you can find and then wash them cold and judiciously, otherwise we're back to the Mall/Stonewash effect.

After you have a pair of 'vintage', there's no going back to Levis/The Mall.

B
T

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
What should I look for in a pair of vintage jeans? If I were to look on ebay would I look for old Levi's? I'm new to all this and not sure how to proceed.
Thanks guys!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I've had a few of those H&M selvage jeans through my hands, my wife still wears a pair. Also the Lee Europe 101s which are relatively cheap over here in the UK (though not in the US). They are good jeans, and as repros fairly convincing. But to be honest, my advice is to take a deep breath and shell out for a pair of LVC (levi Vintage Clothing) or Lee Japan jeans. They cost a lot more, but then they will last you a whole lot longer than the others. It's an aspect that is often overlooked: they are nor just superb repros, simply as plain ol' day to day jeans they are way better quality than anything else on the market.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Blackgrass said:
What should I look for in a pair of vintage jeans? If I were to look on ebay would I look for old Levi's? I'm new to all this and not sure how to proceed.
Thanks guys!
If you want that classic full cut I recommend the 501xx 1955 or the 201xx 1937 models from LVC. The 1955s are supremely comfortable but a lot of people don't like the baggy arse. The 1937 are full cut but fit better in the seat. The 1944 and 47 models are a tighter cut, the 1966 a lot tighter

Search ebay under "LVC" "201xx" "501xx" "Levi vintage" "redlines" "big E" and such like. Make sure they have 555 back of the top button (the best ones) or 554 (more recent, not quite as good denim) and a silver authentification strip on the inner label as there's a lot of fakes about.

The older 555 top buttons (made in SF with US denim) can go for massive money but if you keep looking you'll often find a pair that no one else picks up on and get a bargain. I do it regularly! Failing that go to a dealer and pay the full wack. here in the UK about ?Ǭ£125 (say about $200)

If you want to find out more about vintage denim there are alot of useful websites. Try google....and good luck

Good luck!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I've got a stack of Lees and LEvis 'vintage'- I was lucky enough to pick up a few pair at an outlet village in Stockholm for relative peanuts.

True- the Lee Europe 101Bs and Zs are fine.

As NightandtheCity says- get a pair of the good 'uns and cherish them-

A vintage style would have a button fly, high waist (belly button height) wide, straight legs and dark, dark indigo blue colour. Selvedge in the leg outseam if you're lucky so you can 'fly the selvedge' leg bottoms cuffed vintage style...

Look at the denim range tat www.aeroleatherclothing.com to get an idea...

B
T

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Howdy,
Vintage denim, or fine Japanese repro denim", is vegetable dyed and has a irregular unique look and feel to it that modern denim cannot grasp. This is most apparent in how the jeans age with wear. vintage denim develops whites "peaks" and "whiskers" much quicker and with more contrast and intensity. Vintage denim even smells differently when new.
Other things to look for besides cut and selvage are single-stitching in the pockets, exposed back rivets on the back pockets or hidden (covered) rivets on the back pockets, crotch rivets, a "v" stitch at the top button of the jeans. and a "cinchback" (or "bucklebuck") adjusting strap at the top of the rear waistband.
I heartily agree with what others have already said, there is just no substitute for fine vintage denim. No 30's or 40's wardrobe is complete without a few pairs.

jake431

Practically Family
I'll have to check H&M this season - I've never been able to find their selvage jeans, but it's only recently that selvage has started to show up on the radar here at all in the US as far as the public at large is concerned, so maybe they will this year.

-Jake

Witless Evil

New in Town
Pointer Brand

Pointer brand Logger Jean are my favorite jeans ever.
Pointer Brand Logger Jean

Very high waist. Above my navel. Even though they are prewashed they are still heavy weight. To me they have a very vintage look that is much less western and more work.

They are reasonably priced at about 25.50 each if you buy two pair or more and they are made in the USA. Quality is very good. In my opinion better than the last pair of Levi's I bought.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Seems there are only a handful of us hardcore denim-heads who participate in the forum.
I see denim clothing, bluejeans in particular as the most iconically American garment ever. As ripe with history as jazz, baseball, the Civil War or anything else Ken Burns can go on for hours about.
When most of the Lounge's members get their hands on an old Sears Roebuck catalog, they probably turn first to the suit or hat sections. I go straight to the Hercules denim work clothing section and ogle the illustrations and tiny print until I get a headache and pass out. When I wake up I turn to the horsehide jackets and coats, but that's another obsession...

shamus

Suspended
I've always had the fedora's... but I've also always only worn 501's. And the only actual "real" money I've spent on clothes are horsehide jackets.

yes, you can have it all.

And thank goodness for Levi's vintage line! Although this year's line is a joke. Why would I want to spend a ton of cash a pair of jeans that are worn out? I think they forgot what the vintage line is suppose to be. Vintage jeans like they came from the factory. Not Vintage jeans like they came from the salvation army.

You know in 20 years they'll be selling vintage "acid dyed" jeans from '85.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
To a large extent I agree with you.
Some of the "finishes" LVC has past applied to their jeans are winners, and some are gobsh*te. This season's selection is very poor.
The only standout this season is the 1920's Menlo Cossack leather jacket, which is based on a civilian A-1 variant (leather waistband, cuffs, and collar as opposed to knits). I tried one on at the Broadway Levi's store and jeepers was it cool. I was very impressed with the snugly-fit, high-armholed pattern. Dead-on. They even used old bakelite cat's eye buttons. But the $550 was a bit steep for a thin leather jacket made in Portugal. I was almost tempted to stick it to the man and run out wearing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112