Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jewelry Wardrobe Essentials

Lilydelacruz

New in Town
Love my pearls. Agree on pearl drops and studs (is that what they are called). I try to actually pick up vintage costume jewelry at estate sales. The problem is that they feel small...the necklaces feel more like chokers. I'm working on extending a few of them. The choker length doesn't work for me. I prefer hair accessories and I think the bigger the hair accessory the smaller my jewelry needs to be to not contrast.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree!! A scotty dog pin is invaluable! They add a touch of fun to any outfit.

We don't let people into the "club" without a scotty dog pin. lol (I, of course, am joking. But I have been obsessed with scotty dog "things" since I was a child.)

While we are on about pearls (which I agree with BTW) I have a question. I have 2 sets of double strand (one from each Grandmother) that I hardly ever wear becasue they twist around each other and look dumb. The both have clasps like this one, with the little prongs that fit in the little box. Any tips for why they are doing this and how to stop it?

I've noticed that most of my double or triple strands of costume jewerly have a built in "twist" so they might be meant to look that way- one layer tends to "ride" on top of the others when I wear them. The other thing I've noticed is that I think some of my jewerly is meant to be worn twisted beyond the natural twist. So, for example, I have several items that I actually give a couple twists to before I close the clasp- they just look better this way. I make them more twisted, and then shut the clasp. The third option is that they might have been strung wrong to begin with.

Does anyone in your family remember your grandmother wearing them, or might have pictures of her with them on?

Tatum

Practically Family
I've noticed that most of my double or triple strands of costume jewerly have a built in "twist" so they might be meant to look that way- one layer tends to "ride" on top of the others when I wear them. The other thing I've noticed is that I think some of my jewerly is meant to be worn twisted beyond the natural twist. So, for example, I have several items that I actually give a couple twists to before I close the clasp- they just look better this way. I make them more twisted, and then shut the clasp. The third option is that they might have been strung wrong to begin with.

Does anyone in your family remember your grandmother wearing them, or might have pictures of her with them on?

I don't have any photos that I know of, but my mom has most of my great-grandmother's jewelry and she says that great-grandmother Curry said that they can be worn twisted or not, unless they are twisted already. I have one that I wear that isn't twisted, but there are a few that I will eventually inherit that are. My grandmother also has tons of twisted necklaces, that I remember her wearing from when I was little.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have a lovely couple of hand made felt scotty dog brooches that I got from a lady on ebay. They're super cute and I have a red one on my coat and a green one clipped to my bag.
Otherwise, I have a real thing for clip on earrings, the fancier the better. I've got quite large ear lobes and I find dainty ones just look lost on me.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
here is my vintage jewelry/accessories list. I primarily wear 40s vintage.
I am a 'Spring' season so I mostly wear goldtone jewelry:

nice goldtone wristwatch to go with either dresses or suits/jackets
clip 40s metal earrings
dangle deco rhinestone earrings
gold and jeweled link 40s bracelet- go well for evening looks
goldtone necklace, matches the clip earrings
double stranded pearl with jeweled clasp choker, can be suitable for 20s to even early 50s looks
assorted metal, pearl, and jeweled brooch pins for jackets
2 different type of set of dress clips, one set goes on a vintage coat

DameWhoDrinks

Familiar Face
Here's mine

Set of rings that can be worn together(I had my class ring designed to look like a vintage ring. It's gold with a olive dark green stone, and I wear it with my gold panther ring, one on each hand)
Set of "goes with anything" earrings( mine are a pair of silver dreamcatchers, actually)
Cross necklace
Brooches. I dont wear them often, usually with plain black tops or dresses but they are so classy
Pearl necklace, just in case..I dont particularly like pearls, but you cant beat them for instant put together'dness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk