Joe McGlynn: Vintage Menswear GOD

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Marc Chevalier, Feb 3, 2012.

1. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

Wow! Great wardrobe. Great pics.

2. Any Fedora Loungers who want to emulate Joe's look should also read the linked texts for each photo. This fellow deserves to be studied. Note that not all of his clothes are actually vintage, but no matter: they look right.

Joe's not a rich guy, but he has a keen eye and has striven to learn as much as possible about the look. Many of us can reach his level without breaking our bank accounts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Now there's a bloke who knows what he's doing. He actually reminds me a bit of Benny Goodman in early photos of the clarinet master (sans glasses, that is!). Makes me feel extra to good to know someone else out there is getting stared at when they walk down the street too!

Definitely a great wardobe and Joe knows how to wear his stuff.

4. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Joe's obviously been favored by nature too - he has a modest build and all his hair. Some of us into our difficult middle years couldn't model much beyond sober bankers' and politicians' suits with the requisite straining about the vest buttons.

5. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

That second photo is a little masterpiece, the colours of the clothes reflecting nature.

My problem with vintage is a) price and b) time, because 90% of 'vintage' clothing is from 1980s which was imho an abysmal era for style. Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong places.

6. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

Only you could put it so diplomatically....

To me this epomises the cool casual look that was the sophisticated 40s vibe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  7. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

I like the boater in the fist photo. Very nice :)

8. S_M_Cumberworth

S_M_Cumberworth One of the Regulars

Seconded.

And I would kill for those pants. The pattern and drape is divine (and he got them for thirty bucks and they belonged to Rock Hudson — I think the succession of 'ands' here could be endless).

9. sal

sal One of the Regulars

Boy would I like to get ahold of a pair of those trousers

10. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

There really are no right places. You have to always keep an eye peeled, because the clothes have to find you.

11. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

Amazing! Completely convincing 1930s ensemble assembled from more modern pieces!

I met Joe at a balboa festival in San Francisco about 5 or 6 years ago; we showed up wearing identical knit shirts! (albeit in different color schemes)

12. repeatclicks

repeatclicks Practically Family

Thanks for posting this Marc.

This isn't my chosen period of vintage, but the guy has done his research and wears it right. Now if only more than a handful of those into vintage style actually realised how to wear it properly like Joe here...

13. Frack

Frack New in Town

Marc, I'm honored by your post and the comments of fellow Loungers. As for "god," I've seen what you've posted/shared and I would say this is your world and I'm just taking up a little bit of space in it!

14. Frack

Frack New in Town

Yes! we both had sweaters likely from Ohio Knitting Mills ca. 1949 with the diamonds and circles... Being in Kezar Pavilion (built in 1924) was a kick too.

15. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

A nice collection of clothing and Joe wears it very well.

16. resortes805

resortes805 Call Me a Cab

Them's the one!

17. Isshinryu101

Isshinryu101 One Too Many

Please note, all, that this man has done an excellent job where it matters most... PROPER TAILORING! The number 1 mistake Vintage & Thrift buyers make is neglecting the tailoring of their clothes. I understand that it may seem to defeat the point if you buy something for $20 at the thrift, to then spring 2x that in tailoring. BUT, it's really the only way to make it work.

Proper fit is PARAMOUNT to make ANY style work. ALSO, keep in mind that there IS such a thing as "Period Tailoring". Of course many styles are period specific, but ALSO, the manner in which they were worn & the specific manner of tailoring is just as important. For example, tailoring high-waisted trousers is a totally different ballgame than modern "below-the-waist" tailoring.

This is a GREAT reason to SKIP THE DRY CLEANERS' tailor!!! It's very rare he or she has the skills or know-how to properly tailor clothing in general, but ESPECIALLY vintage.