Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lofgren Engineer boot advice needed

Seank

A-List Customer
E1FB0231-9476-417E-8192-091BD53F94EB.jpeg

78D91C70-EB80-4187-BCA0-A3384706303E.jpeg

I am looking at some CXL John Lofgren Engineers. Websites seem to say that going 1/2 size down from your Brannock size is the size to order…which in my case would be an 8 (8.5 on the Brannock)
Those same websites say a size 8 John Lofgren is equivalent to a size 8.5 or 9 RedWing??? I own two pairs of Iron Rangers, one pair is a 7 and the other is a 7.5…but I am clearly a 8.5 on the Brannock. Something ain’t jiving here.
Help before I make a costly mistake.
Any of you have experience and a good result using your Brannock size as a reference?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Seank - I see you have a rather narrow foot. That would be a larger concern to me than just the overall length.
The Lofgren's run wide, and even the "D" felt to me like an E at least to me. I had to double-sock them and then even they were still a bit too wide to be comfortable.

I did a review/comparison of these and the Wesco Mr Lou's which are available in multiple widths. That last runs slightly narrow, so the D with was closer to a C in real life and fit me perfectly. Here is the thread:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/comparison-wesco-mr-lou-to-john-lofgren-engineer.102418/

Seank

A-List Customer
Seank - I see you have a rather narrow foot. That would be a larger concern to me than just the overall length.
The Lofgren's run wide, and even the "D" felt to me like an E at least to me. I had to double-sock them and then even they were still a bit too wide to be comfortable.

I did a review/comparison of these and the Wesco Mr Lou's which are available in multiple widths. That last runs slightly narrow, so the D with was closer to a C in real life and fit me perfectly. Here is the thread:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/comparison-wesco-mr-lou-to-john-lofgren-engineer.102418/
Thanks for that comparison.
I’m not sure why my feet look so narrow. I Usually do fine in an 8.5D. That’s what the majority of my shoes are. D width is usually good for me.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
That's good. Be sure to ready through some of my fit and more specifically the "walk" feel of the Wesco's. I wound up retuning them, and selling the Lofgren's too. I no longer have any Engineer boots. Just found they are a difficult fit and even fitting well, the walk was tricky.

Seank

A-List Customer
Are you accustomed to wearing pull up boots without laces? Ropers or Cowboy style boots?
If so how would you compare? I wear Ropers often.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I am a 10 brannock
9.5 IR
9.5 Lofgren engineer
I have 2 pairs of ropers I wear often. Here’s the thing, styles aren’t as important as Lasts. I’ve owned 5 pairs of engineers. All were the right length but all fit differently because they are on different lasts. In my experience instep and toe box are very important considerations. Fwiw my Luchesse and Justin ropers fit better than any of my engineers.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Are you accustomed to wearing pull up boots without laces? Ropers or Cowboy style boots?

Good question. So full disclosure is yes - in times past.

My first "quality" pair of boots was back in 1987 - just after I could start driving. I wanted a pair of Red Wing pull-on boots, so I drove myself to the Red Wing store in Champaign, IL and purchased what are now the most basic Pecos model (now called the Nailset - Style #1187) https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/mens/NailSeat-01178.html?cgid=mens-work
I wrote a check out for the full $126.00 price with tax and it was my first check over $100 to write!! They are a little more than than now.

I used the snot out of them, loved wearing them, got the fit nailed by the shop clerk and just never looked back. I think I got ~ 8 years out of those boots.

However my intrests turned more toward lace-ups after that, and I have occassionally tried a pair of cowboy, harness & enigneer boots as a nice-looking "distraction." I really like a snug & supportive fit for all my shoes & boots, so yeah, the pull-on boot market is less interesting to me now.

jonjonhawaii

New in Town
Did you purchase the Lofgren engineers and what size did you get?
I’m an 8.5 B/C width in Brannock and wear a size 7 Iron Ranger, so I was really curious. Thank you!

Seank

A-List Customer
I purchased some of The Flat Head natural CXL Engineers from Self Edge.they were about $1095 I think…
I was advised to go a size down from my Brannock and ordered the 7.5. The fit is good with regards to the insole and toe box, I feel like the heel is a little looser than what I am accustomed to. I usually wear western style boots, ropers, cowboy style (Lucchese, Tecova, etc…)
Actually thinking of putting the Engineers up for sale. I haven’t worn them since I bought them. Just always go for my ropers. They’re pretty damn nice though. I put a 3/4 insole in them and it really helped with the heel without altering the other dimensions of the fit.

jonjonhawaii

New in Town
I purchased some of The Flat Head natural CXL Engineers from Self Edge.they were about $1095 I think…
I was advised to go a size down from my Brannock and ordered the 7.5. The fit is good with regards to the insole and toe box, I feel like the heel is a little looser than what I am accustomed to. I usually wear western style boots, ropers, cowboy style (Lucchese, Tecova, etc…)
Actually thinking of putting the Engineers up for sale. I haven’t worn them since I bought them. Just always go for my ropers. They’re pretty damn nice though. I put a 3/4 insole in them and it really helped with the heel without altering the other dimensions of the fit.
Thank you for the feedback! Just yesterday I ordered Lofgren engineers in 7.5. We’ll see how far off I am. Thanks again!

2g4

New in Town
View attachment 399617

View attachment 399618

I am looking at some CXL John Lofgren Engineers. Websites seem to say that going 1/2 size down from your Brannock size is the size to order…which in my case would be an 8 (8.5 on the Brannock)
Those same websites say a size 8 John Lofgren is equivalent to a size 8.5 or 9 RedWing??? I own two pairs of Iron Rangers, one pair is a 7 and the other is a 7.5…but I am clearly a 8.5 on the Brannock. Something ain’t jiving here.
Help before I make a costly mistake.
Any of you have experience and a good result using your Brannock size as a reference?
I bought a pair about six months ago (CXL in fact). I generally wear an 11.5 or a 12, and there was no way that was going to fit, in particular the pass-through but also my toe touched the front. Exchanged for a 12, and it's a good fit but not oversized. TBH, 12.5 wouldn't be crazy, but 12 works. Here's some other boots that fit me:

VibergService Boot11E
John LofgrenWabash Engineer Boots - Lot No. LK-00312
John LofgrenM-43 Service Boots12
Alden4060 Cap Toe11.5D
Alden40X Indy boots12
WhitesSemi Dress Boots12D
VibergCountry Derby12
Red WingIron Ranger, 811112D
John LofgrenCombat Boots - Lot No. LK-01411.5E US

Tyler Durden

New in Town
I've made the mistake of going with a 9D matching my Red Wing size 9D = 9.5 in Nike ( best reference point for myself). They were just too big, with a lot of heel slip which caused me to grip with my toes when walking, not ideal. I've since sold them and bought a new pair from Standard & Strange in an 8.5D ( a full size down from my sneaker size ). The challenge came when trying to get them on, but once in, they were perfect on the inside.

The pass through on shaft trickiest part. As Lofgren's are known to be a bit or work to get on, and off. Once on, they are amazing out of the box, with minimal break in required. I have a high instep and there were no issues here. I did the broom stick handle to stretch the pass through point just above the heel line. When trying on I used a shoe / boot horn, and plastic bag trick (veggie isle in supermarket). It did take some work but was definitely the right size in the long run.

Spiegel

New in Town
I'm a brannock 8.5E and in the JL Combat boot I wear size 8, JL Engineer I'm a 8.5 and Iron Ranger I wear size 7.5EE. Having Standard and Strange 45mins away from me also helps as long as they have stock to try on. Hope that helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner