Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

john waynes coat in true grit

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
299268_244622415580659_2062647686_n.jpg

From the internet:

A Stockade Jacket from "True Grit." Paramount, 1969. Made of heavy-weight tan cotton, four front flap pockets, four button front closure, tan corduroy collar and cuffs, inside lining stamped "American" [United American Costume/American Costume Corporation, Luster Bayless' company], no other labels; worn as Wayne portrayed "Rooster Cogburn" in the film that won him an Academy Award for 'Best Actor in a Leading Role.' (Please note jacket is stained and dirtied as it was not cleaned after production; there is also a hole on the back right shoulder.)

This style of coat, known as a "stockade jacket," became part of Wayne's standard western costume for the rest of his career. It is first seen in the 1960 20th Century Fox release, "North to Alaska" (but with an added small pocket sewn on top of the larger left breast pocket) and then the design slightly changed to a three pocket version (which Wayne wore in three films) and then it changed again to a four pocket version (which Wayne wore in his last nine western films). It is believed that six of these "stockade jackets" were originally made: one for each of the "Chucks" [Roberson and Hayward, Wayne's longtime stunt doubles] and four for Wayne himself.

It looks like a variation of a chore jacket.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Unfortunately you don't live near James County Mercantile up in Independence MO. From that picture they could probably work you up a coat like that. I have a wool coat from them that is very nice.

Later

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's very close to hunting jackets of the '10s-'60s. The reinforced shoulders, corduroy collar and turnback cuffs, material, pocket design and color are all typical. Some manufacturers favored a four pocket style, others a three pocket with a smaller pocket over the breast pocket sharing the same flap. Take a look through the vintage hunting thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?73355-Vintage-Hunting-Clothes

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I think that River Junction Rio Bravo coat is the closest (maybe only) reproduction that you'll find, at this point...unless you find a vintage piece that's even closer.

- Ian

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep. Unless someone finds one that is tailored with a bit more flair. I haven't been able to find anything else yet.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

That's a pretty good looking Pike Brothers jacket!

I think River Junction's jacket is much closer, though. They need to add photographs of a person wearing it (front, back, side) to get a better idea of fit. They way the advertise it, currently, doesn't add to it's appeal.

In saying that, it's probably a very nice, well made jacket.

- Ian

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's a Japanese misinterpretation of the term Warden (meaning Game Warden) to Prison warden. Here's the original ad they got the term from.
1-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto