Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp's brown fedora

mooglesrcute

New in Town
johnny-depphats2.jpg

It's been two years since my last purchase, and I've been saving my pennies. This is the next hat I would like to get, Johnny's Brown fedora. Now I've read that it's a Borsalino, is that true?

1. Is it a vintage or current Borsalino?
2. If it's something current, what is the make/model etc, and does anyone have a good online dealer they can recommend? (no dealers that i've been able to find in my city)
3. If it's vintage, are there any good sites to likewise track one down?
4. Does the sizing differ from american sizing?
5. I've considered hiring Art Fawcett to recreate this hat for me, he did my last one and I couldn't be more please with the quality. But part of me wonders if having a hat from another maker would be fun too. Thoughts?

Thanks

Felt

New in Town
I have no idea if that's a Borsalino, but the wide brim, very high crown, and sharp pinch remind of Australian-style fedoras, e.g., the Herbert Johnson Poet, which is the classic Indiana Jones hat. I've always wanted one but I don't think I'd ever wear it. Makes no sense but it could keep my fez company in the closest... :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Looks like a vintage (is that a hole in the crown?) Borso but who knows. You can search the FL classifieds and eBay for vintage but it may take some patience or have one of the custom hatters (Optimo would be my choice) make a reasonable facsimile.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's probably vintage. If you want vintage, search ebay.

If it is a Borso, it's likely an Alessandria, it's Borso's take on the Open Road/Stratoliner. Still available, but modern ones are not as of good quality. You might also be interested in the Akubra Campdraft, which is the same style.

Borso: http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=249&subcname=Felt+Hats
Akubra: http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19

Most hat makers had their own take on this style of hat, so if you're not dead set on having a Borso, you should be able to find any number of Open Road/Stratoliner styled hats on Ebay.

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
The current Borsalino Alessandria is like that but not THAT big.
The Akubra Campdraft in mid-brown is a dead ringer for that hat.

imgp57173mediumsmallmc4.jpg

campdraftsmallao8.jpg

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yep, there seem to be 3 options.

Find a vintage Alessandria or maybe an Open Road in a close enough colour.

Buy the brown CampDraft that John posted.

Custom - I'd go with Mr Fawcett personally.

I think the vintage way is best if you can find one.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Wow we went a long stretch with out a Johnny Depp hat question there. He is rather quite right now with the Lone Ranger coming out soon I am sure we will see more hat questions. The size of the crown and brim width of the vintage Borso that Mr. Depp is wearing would not be available in a factory hat today.
Art made your last one and has the hat block to do it so give him a call.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I talked to Fritz at Stock Vintage in NYC. Depp's stylist, who shops there, told him that Depp likes to throw a lot of his clothing up on the roof to weathered and aged. Much of what's at Stock is already well-weathered and aged, so shopping there saves him a step.

I have way too few hats with holes... Dinerman's The Motor (and I fixed that one), a couple with major moth mouth marks. I have one en route that might give Johnny a run for the money.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The current Borsalino Alessandria is like that but not THAT big.
The Akubra Campdraft in mid-brown is a dead ringer for that hat.
I don't see a mid brown offered at Hats Direct. Does Akubra still make it in mid brown, or is that a thing of the past?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff