Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Car Jacket Custom

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I think you were walking out as I was walking in yesterday.

I love it. It's still very much CXL, I can still stand the jacket up on its itr instance despite the thinner hide, so its still plenty thick and won't be confused with lambskin or anything.

It's breaking in nicely, seems like it's softening up by the minute but it's still very much robust, I don't think it'll ever be as pliable as my naked cowhide.

It's definitely an easier wear than the normal, it gives alot easier for instance. I think that's lending alot to the character build up it has since it creases easier obviously and it doesn't flatten out as quickly as a normal cxl largely because it's more pliable and less cardboard like. The CXL is just pretty and I catch myself just looking at parts of it where it just has such a luxurious look and feel to it. Having it next to my cowhide, I appreciate it even more now.

I wore it yesterday briefly outside, I think it was high 40s low 50s, just the two buttons with a thin shirt underneath and was perfectly warm, so no issues. If it gets more windy or cold I'll throw in a hoody and be golden.

So really I think it's the best of both worlds, I get all the character and stuff that makes CXL great with less of the chore of the heavier weight. If I lived in a colder climate or was planning to use this for riding, I'd stick to the full weight probably.

Oh one other thing, I'm gonna play around with it today but I'm not sure if black cxl has a lot of pull up if at all, but mine doesn't although I haven't deliberately tried to see yet.
Right, that was me coming in when you were leaving. I was focused on two projects I was carrying in and did not pay you any attention, but I do recognize you from the picture you posted here. Covic world is making it hard to pass by and stop for acknowledgment. Cheers

yellowfever

One of the Regulars

A great and informative write up and a great jacket, thanks for sharing this! Love the leather, clean lines, trim collar and that one piece back and the super cool lining. It’s overall a very sharp look that comes together really well, but all done with practicality and functionality firmly in mind - ie it has to be fit for purpose, not just pretty to look at (very much my mindset). Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing how that black CXL evolves with wear...

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Right, that was me coming in when you were leaving. I was focused on two projects I was carrying in and did not pay you any attention, but I do recognize you from the picture you posted here. Covic world is making it hard to pass by and stop for acknowledgment. Cheers

No worries, Damon briefly showed me what you brought in, interesting stuff!

Pandemic

One Too Many
Yours looks way better!

7CA19A04-324C-48CA-80DC-B44942D74A1B.jpeg

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
A great and informative write up and a great jacket, thanks for sharing this! Love the leather, clean lines, trim collar and that one piece back and the super cool lining. It’s overall a very sharp look that comes together really well, but all done with practicality and functionality firmly in mind - ie it has to be fit for purpose, not just pretty to look at (very much my mindset). Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing how that black CXL evolves with wear...

Thank you. During the planning phase, my mindset was to make something, as the kids say, for the gram, or in this case, for the Fedora Lounge, lol. I wanted a "geek" jacket, so the brainstorm session included everything from half belts to different action backs, to ball and chain chest pockets, questions like where can I sneak in a vintage zipper, olive drab stitching, and which obscure 1920s jacket can I reference.

Then I had some great conversations with Damon and Alan, and I got to try on a bunch of different things to get an idea, and then realized that those just aren't me, it's my money, I don't want a garage queen, I want something I can drive hard, so instead I ended up actually making the antithesis, lol. I went with less stitching details, looser fit, four button front, traditional collar, no adjusters of any kind, no ball and chain zipper for chest pocket, gusseted shoulders usually found on crosszips and not car coats, a longer fit, and as my last moment of defiance, dark blue stitching because goshdarnit, I just don't like olive drab. And of course the lining.

JL did a great job taking my inspirations, processing it, applied their expertise and gave me back feedback. It wound up being a very simple jacket, but as we all know, the simplest things often times are the hardest to execute, you can't hide anything. I have no adjusters of any kind, this thing has to fit. I really wanted to showcase the leather, so really the only ornate thing I added was the triangles at the pocket edges, and JL brilliantly used the leather to highlight the teacore. It's subtle, but really represents the leather and is what I geek out on.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah it's stiff for sure, I can stand it up on its own. I think Damon is going to be posting pictures of me on their IG soon.

View attachment 308707

Here's the pic they took when I picked it up.

Okaaaaay, brother! Great photo! That mask is killer. That jacket looks so good on you and the fit suits you so well (maybe because of your build?). That's so casual, and I'm sure it's easy to dress up and down, it's just perfect where we live. Congratulations man

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Thank you. During the planning phase, my mindset was to make something, as the kids say, for the gram, or in this case, for the Fedora Lounge, lol. I wanted a "geek" jacket, so the brainstorm session included everything from half belts to different action backs, to ball and chain chest pockets, questions like where can I sneak in a vintage zipper, olive drab stitching, and which obscure 1920s jacket can I reference.

Then I had some great conversations with Damon and Alan, and I got to try on a bunch of different things to get an idea, and then realized that those just aren't me, it's my money, I don't want a garage queen, I want something I can drive hard, so instead I ended up actually making the antithesis, lol. I went with less stitching details, looser fit, four button front, traditional collar, no adjusters of any kind, no ball and chain zipper for chest pocket, gusseted shoulders usually found on crosszips and not car coats, a longer fit, and as my last moment of defiance, dark blue stitching because goshdarnit, I just don't like olive drab. And of course the lining.

JL did a great job taking my inspirations, processing it, applied their expertise and gave me back feedback. It wound up being a very simple jacket, but as we all know, the simplest things often times are the hardest to execute, you can't hide anything. I have no adjusters of any kind, this thing has to fit. I really wanted to showcase the leather, so really the only ornate thing I added was the triangles at the pocket edges, and JL brilliantly used the leather to highlight the teacore. It's subtle, but really represents the leather and is what I geek out on.

Great to see your thought process evolving on this. I’m a big believer in less is more, but like you say, simpler is often harder. The temptation is always to add fripperies and to think ‘more is more’ so it’s easy to get seduced on custom work when you have all these choices and options... sadly it sometimes ends badly and expensively with the customer, when it’s too late, realising why designers are employed/paid. And in fact I’m sure we’ve all see plenty of professionally designed jackets that look awful... so it’s a hard thing to get right even for the pros...

Personally I think much of the skill of a good custom maker is using their experience to know what will work and to understand what the client truly wants/needs and work with them in partnership to gently steer things to achieve that. Much of the fun is in the little subtle custom touches, not throwing everything at it just because you can. I only noticed the thread colour now you mention it - a nice idea that helps put your mark in it and it works well. A really good result thats only going to get even better with wear and having designed it right with real use in mind I’m sure it will get plenty of use. Updates as it breaks in would be appreciated!

And hats of to Johnson Leathers, the more I hear and see of their work the more I wish I lived in the US so I could affordably get them to make me a jacket!

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Okaaaaay, brother! Great photo! That mask is killer. That jacket looks so good on you and the fit suits you so well (maybe because of your build?). That's so casual, and I'm sure it's easy to dress up and down, it's just perfect where we live. Congratulations man

Thanks bro. Yeah, I wanted do something that was a bit nicer for dinner night, otherwise I'd just wear a hoody lol. And I could layer up.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Great to see your thought process evolving on this. I’m a big believer in less is more, but like you say, simpler is often harder. The temptation is always to add fripperies and to think ‘more is more’ so it’s easy to get seduced on custom work when you have all these choices and options... sadly it sometimes ends badly and expensively with the customer, when it’s too late, realising why designers are employed/paid. And in fact I’m sure we’ve all see plenty of professionally designed jackets that look awful... so it’s a hard thing to get right even for the pros...

Personally I think much of the skill of a good custom maker is using their experience to know what will work and to understand what the client truly wants/needs and work with them in partnership to gently steer things to achieve that. Much of the fun is in the little subtle custom touches, not throwing everything at it just because you can. I only noticed the thread colour now you mention it - a nice idea that helps put your mark in it and it works well. A really good result thats only going to get even better with wear and having designed it right with real use in mind I’m sure it will get plenty of use. Updates as it breaks in would be appreciated!

And hats of to Johnson Leathers, the more I hear and see of their work the more I wish I lived in the US so I could affordably get them to make me a jacket!

Thanks man! Yeah I like little details like that. I really don't like olive drab, just my personal preference, and I do like blue so there it was. But then I wanted contrast stitching on the top button hole, a design element used on suits, went with a beige color to match the lining, so with the blue and beige it just works.

Yeah, I really can't speak enough good things about JL, they really are a gem and really a dying breed in the bay area, let alone san Francisco. To get a personal, tailor made jacket, with really an endless amount of great options, and for the price, they can't be beat. You're spot on about them giving you inputs to steer you in the right direction.

In a way I'm kinda sad the jacket is done, because I have no reason to go there and hang out. I'm sure I'll be back though, there will always be an inevitable tweak or repair I need done, or maybe project #3...

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

Yes, the no frills no extras and just let the leather and the construction/design speak for itself mindset is strong. I think that's why the classics are still so beloved to this day compared to some of the designs of today.

Thanks bro. Yeah, I wanted do something that was a bit nicer for dinner night, otherwise I'd just wear a hoody lol. And I could layer up.

This is it! It definitely looks the part for what you want to use it for, it's just perfect. I like that design more compared to similar coats from other makers. This should be a JL standard model offering.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
@TheDonEffect, Great jacket man. The fit is perfect and will only get better as it breaks in. What a large, magnificent piece of horsehide on the back! That is a statement in itself. Hope to see more pics as it breaks in.

Thank you man. Another fringe benefit is now my bedroom has a lingering scent of it, the horween leather just smells great.

I wish I had more opportunity to wear it to break it in faster. Just staying it at home isn't doing a whole lot so may be years before there any noticeable difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider