Johnson Leather Del-66

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by John A Koehler, Jan 25, 2021.

1. John A Koehler

John A Koehler New in Town

I’ve been looking at Johnson Leather’s Del-66 half belt, and am wondering if anyone here has one. Looking around the internet has proven no fit pictures, and was hoping to see where the half belt sits in the back.

hondurasdave47 and Jin431 like this.
  2. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

I am sure nobody here has that specific model yet so you'd have no luck with fit pictures. I do have a black Masaye horsehide highly modified version of it with bigger collar, different pocket placement, zippered hand pockets and sleeves, Single point western yoke and without the half belt

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

SlimJim, Mrfrown, TG3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Have you tried emailing or calling JL? Damon has provided fit pics for me of a few models we’ve discussed.

Info@johnsonleather.com

Jin431 likes this.
  4. John A Koehler

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll contact Damon.

hondurasdave47 and Jin431 like this.
  5. John A Koehler

By the way Jin, that’s a fine looking jacket.

Jin431 likes this.
  6. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Thank you, the del 66 is great looking. I've tried it on a few times while at the shop. I'm not too big on half belts at this time but that particular model is slim fitting and a clean pattern.

7. carl1000

carl1000 New in Town

I have two Johnson leather jackets. That guy will make anything you want. I basically sent him a picture of a Rainbow Country Leather Jacket that I like. He made an exact copy. Great stuff.

ai00344, AeroFan_07, Jin431 and 3 others like this.
  8. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 Practically Family

Please share fit pics when you receive them. I'm also interested in how this jacket looks "in the wild."

Jin431 likes this.
  9. John A Koehler

Will do. I think the process in having a jacket made is almost as fun as getting it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    hondurasdave47, handymike and Jin431 like this.
  10. ai00344

ai00344 One of the Regulars

Carl, I would love to see some pictures of your Rainbow country replica!

Pandemic and Jin431 like this.
  11. John A Koehler

Well here it is! I’ll start off by saying it was a complete pleasure to work with Damon at Johnson Leathers. To our first discussion on the phone, to the last email, Damon always made sure that I was happy with what was going on. This was the first piece of clothing that I have had custom made for myself, and it was pretty liberating and kinda scary all at once.
    I was looking to make an Aero Majestic/Sears Topline from the 30’s/40’s. The Del-66 was a good jacket to start with. All that was really added from the stock form was a bi-swing back. Having a fit jacket helped tremendously in figuring out where the half belt should sit, and how the bi-swing back will help with normal arm movements. I am completely happy with the jacket, the customer service, and would highly recommend Johnson Leathers to anyone considering their next jacket.

Attached Files:

JMax, navetsea, handymike and 12 others like this.
  12. TheDonEffect

TheDonEffect A-List Customer

Very nice man!

13. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Awesome jacket, John! Congratulations on your first bespoke jacket, may it be the first of many! That jacket looks perfectly tailored to you, hope it's not too warm and that you can enjoy wearing it this Spring and for many years to come.

14. John A Koehler

Thanks everybody.
    I got this jacket for Spring/Fall use, and here in western Washington it still gets pretty chilly until about late April, so I’m looking forward to having a chance to wear it for a good month.

Jin431 likes this.
  15. Looks great, John. Congrats
    HD

16. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Nice jacket. A good job, as usual, by Johnson Leather. Good to know Damon has taken up where Alan left off.

Pandemic likes this.
  17. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Very nice. What type of leather is it?

18. John A Koehler

It’s suede cow hide.

Mrfrown likes this.