Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather "Japan" leather

roadking04

Practically Family
Hi Guys.

I am curious about the so called Japan leather that Johnson leathers carries. It is the one with brown underlay that is sprayed with black. Does it look black in the sunlight or can you see a hint of brown? Does brown begin to show through in high wear areas? I am curious what patina develops after some wear. Any pics would be a great bonus. Thanks in advance.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Hi roadking,

I replied in another thread that I believe that the hide you are describing is the same hide that Alan built my first jacket out of which is Horween's brown Chromexcel 3.75 oz. cowhide with a black overdye. Chromexcel leather is combination tanned meaning that it is first chrome tanned, then vegetable tanned. The jacket basically looks black, but is not exactly ink black, and just a bit richer looking if that makes sense. The swatch the I received was brown on the backside and black on the frontside but it was fairly supple given the thickness of the leather. I could bend it around my fingers and it would maintain that shape until I played around with it some more.The initial wear looks more gray in color, but based on the sample I received, appears to eventually wear down to brown in the long run. I receive more compliments and am asked more questions about this jacket than any other jacket I own.

This is what the jacket looked like after one season of wear:

on_front_open.jpg

on_back.jpg

on_back_side.jpg

roadking04

Practically Family
Thanks Forest. Your jacket looks great. The sample I recieved was 4-4.25oz and was black on both sides. It was extremely stiff. It is starting to loosen up a tad. I got it wet and was squeezing it up. After one season your jacket still looks like you took it out of the box yesterday. I have heard nothing but great comments about Johnson leather. Thanks for the pics.

D

Deleted member 16736

I believe my aviator jacket is made of Alan's heavy "Japan" steerhide. It's black on both sides. I can say it grains beautifully and it's supple. On the other hand, it's sooooo heavy (at least 4 oz. and heavier than my Highwayman) and will probably see little wear as a result. But if I needed a suit of armor for riding a bike, I doubt I could do any better.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Forest,
I sent you a PM inquiring about the specifics of ordering from Horween/getting the jacket made at JL, but I have to thank you for posting your steer hide cxl that Alan offers. You might have just saved me several hundred bucks.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Hi nick, PM answered.

roadking, my apologies, obviously the leather swatch that you received is different than the hide used in my jacket posted above. I'm guessing that the hide you received would make one heck of a heavy duty jacket for sure!

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks Joel. My sample said 4-4.25oz so it must be what you have. I am looking for an mc jacket so I would prefer a heavier hide.

You're welcome. If it's the same leather, I think you'll be very happy.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi Guys.

I am curious about the so called Japan leather that Johnson leathers carries. It is the one with brown underlay that is sprayed with black. Does it look black in the sunlight or can you see a hint of brown? Does brown begin to show through in high wear areas? I am curious what patina develops after some wear. Any pics would be a great bonus. Thanks in advance.

What you are describing is not what Allen described to me and is not the same as the sample he sent or the finished jacket. I definitely ordered and received the "Japan" leather. It is a very stiff and heavy leather. It was an additional $100 for that particular hide. My sample is marked 4 oz. and it is every bit that heavy. There is no brown underlay. That was another leather Allen described to me. My jacket is black through and through.

Mine is now about nine months old, and is just getting broken in. It is not soft, it is not supple, and as yet, no grain has developed. It will be another 10 years before it is soft and supple, if ever. It is a hard core MC jacket. The jacket is now comfortable to wear on the motorcycle, but it has taken a lot of wearing to get it that way. It still stands by itself. That is the way I park it at night, and there it stands, waiting for me to pick it up again. This jacket needs no hanger. I am afraid to throw it on the closet floor with my other leather jackets; one of them might get injured during the night.

roadking04

Practically Family
That jacket sounds like a beast peacoat. The sample I recieved was very stiff also. I am just not sure if I would like the brown showing through after some wear. Your jacket sounds like my vanson. It was very stiff and hardly any grain when new.

Peacoat

Bartender
That jacket sounds like a beast peacoat. The sample I recieved was very stiff also. I am just not sure if I would like the brown showing through after some wear. Your jacket sounds like my vanson. It was very stiff and hardly any grain when new.

My Vanson was a pussycat compared to this Johnson. Just the other day I was thinking how the Vanson has softened up. Doubt that it will still stand on its own, but it might. OK, just tried it, and it still stands on its own about 1/2 way up. Has developed some nice graining also.

Hh121

Banned
What you are describing is not what Allen described to me and is not the same as the sample he sent or the finished jacket. I definitely ordered and received the "Japan" leather. It is a very stiff and heavy leather. It was an additional $100 for that particular hide. My sample is marked 4 oz. and it is every bit that heavy. There is no brown underlay. That was another leather Allen described to me. My jacket is black through and through.

Mine is now about nine months old, and is just getting broken in. It is not soft, it is not supple, and as yet, no grain has developed. It will be another 10 years before it is soft and supple, if ever. It is a hard core MC jacket. The jacket is now comfortable to wear on the motorcycle, but it has taken a lot of wearing to get it that way. It still stands by itself. That is the way I park it at night, and there it stands, waiting for me to pick it up again. This jacket needs no hanger. I am afraid to throw it on the closet floor with my other leather jackets; one of them might get injured during the night.

May I ask some pics of the jacket? Thanks

Hh121

Banned
Alan himself has a jacket made out of the Horween Overdye HH. You may also want to email him and ask for pictures of his jacket to see how the hide ages - I bet his looks amazing!

Dave

Thanks dave, there are many nice example of overdye cowhide, I just want to see this particular jacket, and I talked to Alan few months ago, nice person.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks dave, there are many nice example of overdye cowhide, I just want to see this particular jacket, and I talked to Alan few months ago, nice person.

Here are pics, front and rear. It weighs in at an even 7 lbs. It is now a little over 6 years old. Will still stand on its own at half mast. Although I don't wear it as a street jacket, it is comfortable to wear on the motorcycle, and has been since about the first year.

Johnson, Front.jpg

Jonnson, Rear.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ