Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson leathers hh

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
I'm just nailing a final design with Alan at Johnson Leathers. I'm pumped.
I'm looking at the heavy over dye cxl they use. He also offers a 2.5 oz horse hide.
Does anyone here have any experience With the hh offered? I was really hell bent on horse initially, but the weight of the over dye and the fact is over dye really appealed to me....any help would be appreciated. Cheers...
Ps, it's a d pocket mc jacket....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys,
I'm looking at the heavy over dye cxl they use. He also offers a 2.5 oz horse hide.
Does anyone here have any experience With the hh offered? I was really hell bent on horse initially, but the weight of the over dye and the fact is over dye really appealed to me....any help would be appreciated. Cheers...

Hey cobber, I'm interested in this. I have 3 jackets by these guys and I love them. I also want to get a mid-weight HH jacket for a half-belt or a... not sure yet. I'd like to know about this hide too.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I had their version of an A-2 (not their flight jacket) in the russet 2.5oz horse. The color was nice, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Very little character, even though this may have changed had I kept it. Now their 2.5oz dark brown goat is really nice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The process of breaking in more than 1-2 CXL or FQHH jackets could be a major chore. My personal experience is that my mid-weight HH and goatskin jackets are more wearable than the heavier stuff, and I have found that I am more likely to grab a 2.5 oz. jacket on the fly than a 3.5 - 4 oz. Bunyip, what is your weather like in your location of the Land Down Under?

D

Deleted member 16736

I have a JL aviator jacket based off an original jacket in Alan's possession, and it's made of the 4+ oz. black overdye CXL. It's so heavy I never wear it and would gladly sell it. The mid-weight horse was flimsy when I handled it. Alan mentioned to me he had some CXL HH. This was a couple of months ago, though. You could always ask him, or buy the leather straight from Horween for $500. They may even have some custom options like veg-tanned 3 oz. horse. Check out tannery row's website.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
The process of breaking in more than 1-2 CXL or FQHH jackets could be a major chore. My personal experience is that my mid-weight HH and goatskin jackets are more wearable than the heavier stuff, and I have found that I am more likely to grab a 2.5 oz. jacket on the fly than a 3.5 - 4 oz. Bunyip, what is your weather like in your location of the Land Down Under?
Fanch,I'm in capital City. Freezing winters,no snow, but lots of frost and shite wind. Summer is hot as hell. We get 4 seasons here. It's a d pocket mc jacket, won't wear it much socially out and about....wouldn't mind a cafe racer in the mid hh or goat though...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Just got an email from Alan, the 2.5oz horse he has at the minute is actually Horweens.....have also emailed Tannery row, so will see what transpires....thanks for the tips guys...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Well here in Melbourne it's hardly ever the right weather for 3oz or heavier hide. It's either too cold or too warm. That's why I enjoy the thinner hides. And, as Baron K says, thinner hides are more period accurate.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if anyone can get a "naked" or unfinished hide? I think that could kick ass. Good luck on you jacket!
I have a couple of Schott nakeds, the Easy rider is one of my faves with the zip out liner....not a custom jacket I know, but the finish and quality is what it is, and I dig it...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Don't apologize for a Schott. I've got a few and they'd good jackets. Can you post up a pic of the naked? Not you, the jacket lol
Butte, I never apologize for Schott, I discovered them before I knew anything of aero,lot worlds etc..I own 5 now,(3 were 2nd hand at silly eBay prices), and I really love them. Will try to post some pics, not easy on the iPad, my Mac book got stolen, and I put new exhaust and carbie on my Dyna with insurance money....I'm like a kid with jackets and bikes, my priorities are in my arse as my ex used to tell me...will see what I can do. It's soft, but thick, and develops a decent grain, and a bit of a shine? Always smells nice too...

Last edited:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I own one example of each the CXL cowhide (black overdye) and CXL horsehide (brown). I personally prefer the CXL cowhide over the CXL horsehide. My cowhide jacket is 3.75 oz and my horsehide jacket is 3.0 oz. The horsehide jacket is actually warmer because of the wool lining material I chose. At one point, I had a sample of 2.5 oz horsehide sent my way, but I just didn't care for the thickness (or lack of thickness) when it came to the 2.5 oz hide. Although it would more than likely last a lifetime, but it just didn't have the feel that I was after.. If I were in your shoes, I'd hold off until Alan can get a sample of the 2.5 oz HH to you.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I own one example of each the CXL cowhide (black overdye) and CXL horsehide (brown). I personally prefer the CXL cowhide over the CXL horsehide. My cowhide jacket is 3.75 oz and my horsehide jacket is 3.0 oz. The horsehide jacket is actually warmer because of the wool lining material I chose. At one point, I had a sample of 2.5 oz horsehide sent my way, but I just didn't care for the thickness (or lack of thickness) when it came to the 2.5 oz hide. Although it would more than likely last a lifetime, but it just didn't have the feel that I was after.. If I were in your shoes, I'd hold off until Alan can get a sample of the 2.5 oz HH to you.
Thanks,
I think I will go with the overdye. I initially really wanted a brown d pocket. I have since picked up a Vanson CHP in brown, which was a rare find, and I love it. so, will go with over dye D pocket methinks....

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi guys,

For riding, I would stay with the heavy CXL from JL. It will take a long time before it is comfortable to wear on a motorcycle, and may never be something you would reach for as casual wear. I wouldn't. I have a 3 oz. from them that I bought for casual wear. Liked the JL 3 oz. so well, that I got the heavy jacket strictly for riding.

I got a hide similar to the CXL you are considering from Johnson about 1 1/2 years ago for riding. Only been the last month or so that it has been broken in enough to wear comfortably on a ride. Still stands by itself, though the shoulders and arms are now well broken in. About the only break in process I have used, has been just wearing it at every opportunity and flexing the arms and shoulders. I have tumbled it in a dryer with no heat to try and tame the beast a bit. May have helped some, but not sure.

Good luck whichever way you go. I think you will be pleased with the quality of the Johnson construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou