Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Join "The Fray"

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I have now collected hat pictures of six Stetsons with "The Fray" sweatbands: two No.1's, one 1X Nutria, one Boss Raw Edge, and two generic Stetsons. The styles have also varied: one Spanish-American War campaign hat, one black fedora, a black Boss of the Plains, and three black western pencil curls.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there also a non-Stetson "The Fray" posted on the lounge?

Please post your Fray hats...don't be Fray-dee Cats. Since my pics are pretty weak, and not on a server, I'll just post this composite of all six Fray sweatbands, and wait for the owners to post the rest of the pics:

Frayx6.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
I knew I could count on you two to jump into the Fray! :p

Here's a link to Dinerman's fray: Black Stetson fedora with "The Fray' Sweatband

Robert provided the following in the "pre-1940 Stetson Dress" thread: "The Fray might refer to:bio: Fray, William F. (1844-)
- mfr, vp of J B Stetson Co, there from 1866" ...and the possible patent:

patent for new leather sweatband

It's real tough to date No. 1's because no one took pictures of the insides of their hats back then, and you don't see anything from Stetson other than drawings of that logo. But...the Spanish-American War No. 1 "Fray" had solid provenance behind it, dating it to the late 1890's. That hat's Stetson logo was vertical without the gold embossing, and other characteristics of the sweatband indicated it was one of the oldest No.1's ('v' stitching, small round size tag, taped sweat). That hat might be our best indicator of the short lifetime of "The Fray".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider