Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jury Duty

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
OK, I did a search and the fact that people have had jury duty has been mentioned in passing several times, but there hasn't been a thread started on this topic. So, what should one wear to jury duty?

If there isn't a plea bargain I'll have to report to the courthouse next Tuesday. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the court is a state circuit court.

Thanks,

NH

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wear something suitable for sitting around for hours with little or nothing to do, in other words, comfortably. I think people basically wear to jury duty the same clothes they would wear in their daily life, regardless of what that daily life is. That's part of what makes jury duty a fascinating democratic experience.
Just wear what you would normally wear if it were a regular work day, but maybe a little looser.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So you've been selected to be a juror? My condolences. Although I hear it's very interesting.

As for what to wear, I'd dress up: it'll give you an air of authority and people might listen to you. As long as you're comfy sitting on a bench for hours in a suit. :)

Carlisle Blues

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
So you've been selected to be a juror? My condolences. Although I hear it's very interesting.

As for what to wear, I'd dress up: it'll give you an air of authority and people might listen to you. As long as you're comfy sitting on a bench for hours in a suit. :)

It's those dressed up types you have to avoid. They'll want to make an issue of everything, just to get free bologna sandwiches on the state when they get you sequestered.:eek: [bad]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Comfortable, neat, respectable. I say, skip the suit. But if sitting around all day in a jacket and tie is comfortable for you, by all means have at it. Also, if it's cold and you want to wear a lid to and from, I recommend something that you won't be afraid to leave unattended for long periods of time. If you have a cap you can roll into a pocket, that would best.

ortega76

Practically Family
When I had jury duty, I tried to dress business casual. Since you'll be doing a lot of sitting, I say dress comfortably and dress in layers since the building will probably be hot as blazes or cold as a meat locker. I did ok for a two day trial wearing chinos, a buttondown and blazer.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Nighthawk said:
OK, I did a search and the fact that people have had jury duty has been mentioned in passing several times, but there hasn't been a thread started on this topic. So, what should one wear to jury duty?

If there isn't a plea bargain I'll have to report to the courthouse next Tuesday. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the court is a state circuit court.

Thanks,

NH

I've been called to jury duty about six times and always been dismissed by the same ADA. I finally met her in a social situation and asked her why. She said lawyers don't like people to be too sharply dressed. They look too slick. So if you want to serve, be casual; if you want to get out of jury duty.........

Let us know what happens.

Orsini

Familiar Face
I have been on jury duty a number of times. I suggest you get there early -- there might not be enought seating to go around -- and bring something to read. I understand that if you do not want to be selected, you might try wearng a bow tie. I think I will try this next time...

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
My experience of Jury service was very similar to everyone else. As stated before, there is a lot of sitting around and waiting, so take a good book. I attended in a suit, and was probably the most "dressed up" juror there, but wearing nothing overly smart, just a plain working, day to day dark suit. For this, I got chosen to be the Jury spokesperson and had to deliver our final verdict. Whether it was for this reason I don't know, but it is something to think about.

Mike in Seattle

Baron Kurtz said:
The classic story of how to get out of it in the UK was to wear a suit and carry a copy of the Financial Times. Lawyers don't want thinkers on a jury.

bk

Same here in the States. As they say - who makes up juries these days? People too stupid to figure out a way to get out of jury duty.

I've been called twice and bounced. I wish they'd just let us put the answer to question number one they always ask on the juror questionaire. "My uncle was a cop and three of my cousins are in or were in law enforcement."

Hal

Practically Family
Jury service

Like RAF man, my experience of jury duty was broadly similar to those of previous posters. I was called twice (with a gap of sixteen years between the two periods) and sat on six cases, but no lawyer challenged any juror in any of these (perhaps there are more challenges in the USA than in the UK). I wore my everyday working clothes of sports jacket and tie -perhaps the average degree of formality on the first occasion but near the "dressed-up" end of the clothes spectrum on the second. The judicial authorities are trying to tighten up on those called as jurors because so many try to get out of having to serve.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A great tradition

If you'll all pardon me for getting all philisophical here, I find it fascinating that the British and American experience of jury duty is essentially the same. This is due to the fact that our legal system traces its origins right back to the Anglo Saxon law courts of centuries ago. For all its flaws, it's a wonderful system, nobody has really improved on it since the middle ages. Our jury system has been a bullwark for our liberties since its inception.
Anyhow, I can just imagine someone in a doublet back in Shakespeare's time, or in a top hat in Dickens's time, having exactly the same conversation.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Nighthawk said:

Thanks,

NH

I can only speak for the court system in North Carolina, but jurors here seem to dress as they would dress for work. That could mean anything from jeans and a t-shirt to a business suit.

In spite of what has been said earlier in this thread, we try not to make prospective jurors sit around for long periods of time. Generally, the venire is asked to arrive for orientation at 9:30 AM on Monday and we begin selecting a panel by 10:30. Once that jury is impaneled, the remainder of the venire is allowed to leave. Before they go, they are given a number to call so that they can know if they will be needed later in the week. If they are, they return at a specific time to begin a new trial. I would be willing to bet that you will find this same procedure is used in your jurisdiction.

To follow up on something else that was mentioned here, no attorney that I know dislikes sharply dressed people. Frankly, when I am selecting a jury, the way a person is dressed is one of the last things that I consider as I try to evaluate his or her qualifications as a prospective juror. If the person’s style of dress is fairly consistent with the other facts I am able to gather about him, I don’t give it a thought. But please let me add this: As much as I appreciate vintage clothing, it might not be the best thing to wear for jury service---at least not if you actually want to serve. If a person arrived for jury duty dressed like a character from a Mickey Spillane novel, I (and most other attorneys I know) probably would give that person a pass.;)

AF

Feraud

Bartender
I've served twice on jury duty within the last nine years. Both experiences were very good ones. The only drawback is wasted time. My recent four day service had too much down time. The case could have been resolved in two days had the judge and lawyers tightened up the schedule a bit.
My co-jurors on both cases were a great cross section of New Yorkers. Everyone had enough common sense to judge the facts as presented.

As for clothing, I took the opportunity to not wear a tie as I do every day for my nine to five job. I wore khakis, boots, chambray work shirt, leather jacket and cap every day. I did not observe dressing a certain way excused anyone from service. The local story about getting out of jury duty involves claiming to be a racist and prejudiced against everyone. I didn't see anyone pull that move. Around here you may end up out of jury service and into a hospital.

Again, it has to do with what you are comfortable in wearing.

Suit and tie-no tie, sports jacket and tie - no tie, no jacket dress shirt and tie. OR I'd say clean and business casual, dockers and golf shirts but just be sure to wear a shirt with a collar.

No shorts
no t-shirts
no clothes with holes in them
wear shoes, not sandals or flip flops.

I'd say wear a jacket or sweater if your public buildings are like those here, it's that they are usually cold all four seasons.

Hal

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
If you'll all pardon me for getting all philisophical here, I find it fascinating that the British and American experience of jury duty is essentially the same. This is due to the fact that our legal system traces its origins right back to the Anglo Saxon law courts of centuries ago. For all its flaws, it's a wonderful system, nobody has really improved on it since the middle ages. Our jury system has been a bullwark for our liberties since its inception.
Anyhow, I can just imagine someone in a doublet back in Shakespeare's time, or in a top hat in Dickens's time, having exactly the same conversation.
It is indeed interesting that the experience of Britons and Americans in this respect is so similar, but please don't equate British with English! The Britons who have posted on this thread are from England and Wales. The Scottish legal system is different, based on Roman Law and, while there is a jury, there is a third verdict of "not proven". Shakespeare, of course, was a citizen of England, not of Great Britain; but the Scots retained their legal system (as they retained their own Established Church) after the Union of 1707.

kools

Practically Family
As much as I appreciate vintage clothing, it might not be the best thing to wear for jury service---at least not if you actually want to serve.

Again, it has to do with what you are comfortable in wearing.

Now I don't know what I'd wear, being the fact that I am most comfortable in vintage and don't own a modern suit or sport coat. I do believe I could manage to tone down a "vintage look", however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21