Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just curious...

PicklePod05

New in Town
You can blame this thread on my boyfriend, for spiking my curiosity, he's on here somewhere... :p lol I know, curiosity killed the cat, but it doesn't stop me from being curious lol Anyway, my boyfriend and I were talking about the board yesterday, and I was telling him about the suggestions you all were making on my hair dilema, and he said "I wonder how many people on there have kids". That, of course, got me wondering... Who all here does have kids, how old are they, and are/were you able to do the more complicated styles when they were babies?

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
I have one child, a 16 month old son, who keeps me running from "Son up until son down." Ha, ha.
Seriously, most days I am lucky if I can get a shower, hair dryed and makeup. I have started to take showers and wash my hair at night, for safety reasons more than anything (my bathroom is on the 2nd floor, and Jack can now open doors, and pretty much escape, so I don't feel very safe taking a shower in the morning once my husband is gone to work.) Anyway, when I shower at night, I then roller or pin my hair overnight and that seems to be working pretty well. Then I can wake up and take a couple of minutes to style. Also, my hair is fairly fine and soft and that also seems to help hold the curl (plus LOTS of spray!!)
I try to pick out my clothes the night before, and that helps things to go smoother for our mornings too. I then stay clean for, oh, about ten minutes before he has smeared something or other on me. Oh well. My life would be so boring and empty without my little guy.

Jessica

PicklePod05

New in Town
Haha I know how that is. My daughter is 5 months old, and hates to sleep during the day. She's at that point where if she doesn't see me, she gets really upset, and if she goes with her grandma, she thinks my boyfriend and I are leaving, so she starts crying hehe. Luckily she can't crawl yet, but she's getting there, I know that's going to make it even harder to do my hair hehe

Irena

One of the Regulars
PicklePod05 said:
...curiosity killed the cat, but it doesn't stop me from being curious...

Curiosity may have kiiled the cat, but satisfaction brought him back!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Hi All: I'm brand new here. I'm a stay-at-home mom with 4 kids. Their ages are 12 (boy) 9 (twins b/g) and 4 (boy). Up until I was expecting my last one, I always set my hair. I really like the 1940's styles, and I used to always wear my hair in a shoulder length pageboy. But for the last few years, my hair has been cut pixie style. Still kind of retro, but more 1950's than '40s. When I did set my hair, I used to do exactly what VintageJess did, I washed it at night and slept in curlers or pin curls and just styled the next day. The discussions are so fun here! I'm so glad I joined!!

Chantilly Lace

New in Town
I'm new too!

And I have a 9 month old daughter. After neglecting myself for many many months now :( I have decided to reclaim my womanhood! There are so many fun styles posted here! I can't wait to try!

Etienne

A-List Customer
Well, welcome, RetroMom and Chantilly Lace! Always nice to have new ladies in the lounge! I look forward to seeing posts of your hairstyles!--Etienne

WoeSis

New in Town
Kids, by the numbers

i have one child, a daughter. Taylor, my girl, will be thirteen in August. She's very much her own person, not terribly into vintage styles. But she also enjoys swing music and dance, and she LOVES old comedies a la The Thin Man, Bringing Up Baby.

I have a 3 1/2 yr old little boy. I haven't been doing vintage long enough to say he has interfered with it. Although I have loved it my whole life. I haven't gotten myself in a regular routine yet. I know I need to set my hair at night. I am a SAHM too for now, and have a tiny side business. So I am pretty much a wreck during the day unless it is Friday and I fix myself up for date nite with DH. We don't go out but just have a nice evening together, with cocktails and music.:cheers1:

DS loves to dance with me. One of his favorite songs is "Moondance"

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I have 3 girls, ages, 9,5 and 3. I had the hardest time doing anything with my hair when the girls were babies...one thing, I was just so tired all the time and, it seems they are so time consuming themselves that it was an accomplishment just getting a shower in! Recently I've been learning to do new tricks with my hair, pretty soon I need to go to the salon and get it styled...it's getting to that point where you can't do much with it . My advice though for all you mom's with kids...do try to have date nights with your hubby, even if you stay at home, it does wonders on keeping the two of you connected

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
that was one of the things me and the hubby agreed on before kids is that OUR relationship always comes first, I'm glad we took it serious, if the parents are happy, everyone's happy!;)

PicklePod05

New in Town
We don't have much of a "date night" per say, but since out daughter goes to sleep around 9 or 10, we have our goof around/talk about the day time for a couple hours before we hit the sack ourselves. It does wonders for talking about problems calmly and rationally :eek:)

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
I have one daughter, who turned 4 last month. I'm a single mother and struggling to finish university, so I don't do much more than drag a brush through my hair and pin or tie it out of my eyes. I'm trying to find time to try pincurls, but am really dissuaded by the thought of trying to tame my fuzzy mop in time to get anything done with the rest of the day. :rolleyes:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I know, parenthood does something to you and it's not always a pretty sight! What we had to end up doing was sitting down and 'schedule' a night every week that we either go out or just use it as a night where we know we can have some good adult conversation and get all caught up with whatever's going on in our lives...I love kids, don't get me wrong but I do miss being spontaneous at times.
Also, even if you can't find time to do your hair...I've learned do something, anything! that will pamper you...it keeps you from going into ruts.

PicklePod05

New in Town
True, but easier said than done! lol At times, I have trouble keeping up with my homework, cleaning and such, let alone pampering myself. Every once in a while, I get to do a little something like putting on makeup or doing my hair in a style other than it being down or in a ponytail lol

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, at least the conversation you moms are having makes for some birth control for those that are children-less. I hope to be married at least 2 years before I start having kids. In fact, I want to travel across Europe before having kids. I have this fear that when I get married I'll accidentally get pregnant and not get to do my traveling in Europe and then have to wait til the kids are older to do it.

PicklePod05

New in Town
Haha yeah, that's the way it always starts out... :p lol I wasn't planning on having kids until I was married, either... That didn't work out too well, though lol
Well, if any of you are getting scared, really it's just a matter of figuring out what works for you and your baby to get the things that you need to done. Not too easy at first, but eventually you get there, you just have to be flexible about it :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112