Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just saw the clip for the Aviator

renor27

One of the Regulars
Was watching the trailor for the Aviator looks to be good.
Think the clothing is great and want to a jacket like the one The actor playing HH is wearing when flying ( not the leater but the cloth tan with brown patchs on the shoulders ). I think the style was populare in the mid 1940s. I am 6ft 4 in 235 so know I will not find a true vintage one but have great friend who can make me one, if i can get my hand on a pattern so is there one out there?
What about any patterns for 1940 pants, work or dress.
Am also thinking for looking for a pattern for coveralls and shirts too.
Am thinking of going with a full 1940s working mans look and maybe just one nice double brested suit. Some thing to wear to take my gal out on a Saturday night. Think will look into a vintage cap even. I know this is the Fedora Lounge but ever one is doing the suit look want to be a bit different. let me know what you guys think and if any of you can help.
David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, need help eh? Well first, the two toned coat Leonardo Decaprio is wearing is a late 40’s coat known as a Car Coat, or a Hollywood Coat. It was a casual coat mostly made of wool, wool gabardine, or gabardine and tweed panels very sporty and smart. Some even had a full belt that one would tie in the front like a robe. These coats are very hard to find in a large size. If you do find one, it’s going to be in the $500.00 dollar range! I know, I’m 6’ 3� and at 220bls. So, trust me, I know how hard it can be to find the real deal. But, I have never given up! The idea of patterns is the way to go! If you find the right patterns from the period, (Note: vintage patterns not repro patterns) you can have some great stuff made! I know shirts pants and those great coats can be made from patterns. The trick is to find the right ones then, finding the correct fabric! Fabric is VERY IMPORTANT! If you get a cheesy fabric, then the look is going to fail. Stay away from any polyester blends! Go for wool, cotton, rayon and the like! They didn’t have polyester in the 40’s and early 50’s! Polyester started its sad life as Dacron in the 50’s. Then it became known as polyester in the 60’s.

Color is also a very important thing. Most guys that have stuff made go for the black and pink 50’s thing. Me, I would go for the 40’s look. So, your looking at Dark greens, Blues, Browns, Reds, Yellows, Grays, and the like. Those colors and any lighter contrasting color would work very well for a 40’s two tone coat or shirt. I’ll send you some color swatches.

Now, having one good double breasted suit for those nice weekends is a very good thing to have! But, as you well know, it’s getting harder to find a good suit in a large size. But, don’t give up! If I have over 12 suits in my collection, well, you can find one! Trick is to never stop looking. You must go shopping in vintage stores three times a week and put out the word to vintage dealers and make them your friends! They will look for you and when they find something, they will show you it and see if it fits. I see you live in Reno, now there is nothing there! I am a very help full person when it comes to finding vintage. I want you to have the right stuff. If you have any way of getting over to California, say Pasadena area, I can show you all the shops you should check out! I can also put out the word for a very large sized suit. The Vintage Expo is coming this month on the 23rd and 24th. It is held at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. There will be good pickings there for a nice double breasted 40’s suit there. But, be ready to shell out the bucks! Now, remember this, if you find a good suit in your size and they want say $400. for it, that’s still a good price! A new suit will be about the same price and half the quality! And it wouldn’t give you the right look. So, it’s still a good deal. Yeah, it’s used and very old, but the thing is that the suits made then were very well made and it will last you a very long time if you take care of it.

Ok, to find patterns, you must look at ebay all the time. Estate sells are good too! You never know what you’ll find! Look every where on the net and talk to any one that deals with vintage and I’m sure you will be finding good stuff. The Expo in Santa Monica will have dealers that sell just patterns! So, you can find some stuff there. It’s like the WAL*MART of vintage. A one stop shopping place! You will be able to find some good hats, ties and shoes even from the period. If you want success, then I strongly suggest you to come to this.

Any way, this is long enough. So, any questions, I’m happy to help!

Your friend,

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Here are some of the popular colors from the 40's. Yes, they had some rich tones, and some light colors used in Men's clothes. These are some of the color combos I hve seen. More to come soon.

Root.

PS. I'll draw up some in the shape of clothes so you can see how it would look with patterns.

renor27

One of the Regulars
Yo guys are going to love this

I have found some one who says that they can make the patterens for 1930s and 1940s mens clothing in any size and all they need is lots of photos. Now I am a very hard person to please when it come to "new vintage" so will have to wait to see how the pattern come out and if the person who has made me custom clothing can use them to recreate the clothing from the era.
The first pattern I will try is one for a Hollywood jacket. So if you have photos of Hollywood jacket please send it to me. Hopefully in a month or so i will be wearing a "new vintage" jacket
If this work will be having other patterns made and will have some to share.
David

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
David- if you're looking for working clothing in big sizes, you could do worse than looking at WW2 repro fatigues- you can get herringbone twill, denim Navy Dungarees(Bogey wore these a lot) with the patch front pockets- really baggy.
Look at the USN section at-
www.wwiiimpressions.com

I have these and they're very working man. Caps- try
http://www.villagehatshop.com/big_apple_linen_cap.html

and

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/CTGY/Newsboy+Cap,+Newsboy+hat,+Cap+Newsboy+Wool

Those Big apples in white linen are pretty kool- Gatsby style and working man.

Bye-
Tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk