Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just scored an updated A-2!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Unfortunately, I outgrew my old LL Bean A-2 a few years ago. I finally gave it to a co-worker who has done me favors - and he was happy, because I probably hadn't worn it more than a dozen times. Dang!

BUT.....I've had my eye out for a similar jacket.

I happened to spot an Ebay auction for an A-2 style jacket from Sporty's Pilot Shop...and won it in the last minute. Hope I wasn't bidding against anyone here. I managed to match the specs in the auction against the info on the original sales website, and the jacket appears to be the AN-J-3: http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&Product_ID=10858&DID=19

It's a slightly updated A-2 with handwarmer pockets (which I have always liked) and buttons rather than snaps on the exterior pockets.

Here are the auction photos:
Jacketfront.jpg

Jacketrear.jpg

Jacketfront2.jpg

Jacketlabel.jpg

And here's the photo from the Sporty's site:

Sportysimage.jpg

What do you think for $75 plus shipping?? I'm jacked!! :D

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Nope, no aviation in my background - never got the chance or had the time and money to pursue it. But I do like classic jackets.

Edited to add: I'm a sports car guy...and those jackets go great with cars, too.

My 1983 280ZX Turbo outside my house:

280ZX.jpg

A Fiat publicity image of my 1958 Fiat 1200 Spyder (ready for paint...almost done with resto)

1957-fiat-1200-spider.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
my baby, with another guy!

great jacket at that price!

i had bought that jacket (not the specific one you own) from sporty's for over $200 last year...i really loved it, loved the style and all, very nice g-2 repro...however, i went into one of my manic rants when i saw it was made in pakistan, feeling a u.s. mil jacket should be made in the u.s., even if that jacket specification was not made any more for the military, and in fact had only been made for u.s. personnel for about a year or less (those familiar with the g-2 know the story)

but it was a very nicely built, and styled, jacket...and for $75 it's great! even for over $200, but i prefer the u.s. built...

however, it beats at least one u.s. manufacturer...the version uswings.com sells doesn't even have the windflap in it, whereas this one does...sad the pakistanis would beat out a u.s. manufacturer (over authenticity) that has been in the business of making military jackets for decades

enjoy, looks great!

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
That is probably a more comfortable and better fitting jacket than an A-2. I bought a similar one a few years ago from Cooper that was made of Lambskin. It was a nice jacket but, as one poster said, did not have an interior windflap so I sold it after wearing it a few times. Personally, if it was not a USA made jacket I would not give it a second look either but the one the original poster got that was made for Sportys looks great and was worth $75. Avirex (Cockpit) still makes a made in USA G-2 of lambskin but it has zippered pockets in the front above handwarmers and is a nice jacket also.

Ray

Pilgrim

One Too Many
MEDIUMMYND said:
Now that Fiat is what i call a car:eusa_clap

Thank you...I just came in from firing it up for the first time in a long time. I replaced the fuel pump but it's not pulling from the tank yet - I think I'll blow out the line. Got it to start and run by shooting starting fluid into the carb while cranking, then shooting again and again to keep it going. As soon as I get it running dependably, it's headed to the paint shop.

rgraham

A-List Customer
So why is it that the label says it's made in the USA?

Or, is the leather imported, and the jacket is put together here in America.

Also, spraying too much starter fluid into the carbs to start and run the engine really strips the cylinders of vital lubrication. Ok for starting, but I wouldn't run an engine on it.

rgraham said:
So why is it that the label says it's made in the USA?

Or, is the leather imported, and the jacket is put together here in America.

Also, spraying too much starter fluid into the carbs to start and run the engine really strips the cylinders of vital lubrication. Ok for starting, but I wouldn't run an engine on it.

Sporty's Pilot Shop was located in Ohio. Not too far from where I'm located. Made in USA. However,they discontinued making jackets,and now make only leather flight bags last I heard.
HD

rgraham

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Sporty's Pilot Shop was located in Ohio. Not too far from where I'm located. Made in USA. However,they discontinued making jackets,and now make only leather flight bags last I heard.
HD

So here's a twist. I recently bought a new G-1 jacket off the bay a while ago. The jacket was being sold by Taylor's Leather. They were selling because they said that the people they were making these jackets for said the leather was too dark. When I got it, the original label had been cut out, the bits that were left can be seen to resemble the jacket in this thread. So, the plot thickens.....

Pilgrim

One Too Many
rgraham said:

You're right - I stopped and used a turkey baster to add raw gas...but I really need to get that fuel pump working. Tomorrow I'll blow out the feed line to the tank.

EDIT.........

OK, photos....also seen in the thread about jackets for portly types. The leater in this jacket is absolutely beautiful - supple, medium weight and feels lovely to the hand.

P3200041.jpg

P3200042.jpg

P3200055.jpg

P3200057.jpg

The only downside is that there is a faint smell of mildew on this jacket - I think it was stored in a high humidity area (it came from near Portland, OR) without sufficient circulation. But it's not bad, and I'll see what I can do to eliminate that. I already give it a light wipedown with Odo-Ban.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I wanted to add an update. I just got back from a trip to Boston and that new jacket was a wonderful traveling companion. It was heavy enough to keep me warm, and light enough not to overheat me walking through airports. With a good fedora, it was plenty to shield me from light rain on the streets of Boston.

That jacket is my new 'best friend" among outerwear!

And yes, it's an Air Force AN-J-3, the replacement for the A-2, essentially a G-1 without the fur collar.

Here's history on the jacket: http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_anj3.html

Here's the item at Sporty's:http://tinyurl.com/dxulnq

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk