Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just watched Chinatown...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
...for the first time in years. Not a very fast-moving film, but that's part of its noir style.

I was moved to post because I think this is the best job Jack Nicholson has ever done in a film. No scenery-chewing, no flashes of "outrageous Jack". Just a steady, generally understated performance that hangs together from start to finish.

In most of his movies (especially the later ones) he sometimes doesn't put himself into the character and you have to remind yourself that you're supposed to be watching a character, not watching Jack Nicholson.

Not one of the greatest films I've seen, but good from start to finish, and Nicholson is outstanding. I also envy the roadster he drive.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Thats a great piece of trivia! I'll remember that.
Was it "The Two Jakes" that was the very weak sequel to "Chinatown"?
I recall I felt let down a little by it.

Wesne

One of the Regulars
Chinatown is one of my favorite films. Ironically, considering your observation on Nicholson's acting in Chinatown, just a few days ago I watched The Shining for the first time in a while, and there you have Nicholson at his most "Jack Nicholson."

I agree that The Two Jakes was a huge failure. That movie convinced me that Madeleine Stowe was just a pretty face who could not act, but Short Cuts and Twelve Monkeys caused me to think again. Maybe just bad directing?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Madeline Stowe was forever redeemed (for me) by her performance in Last of the Mohicans. That was probably my favorite film of the past 20 years, and I thought the casting was absolutely impeccable from top to bottom.

I rented The Two Jakes just to see it as a sequel - and I agree, it wasn't anything great.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"The Last Detail" was probably my favorite Jack Nicholson film. He was a great character in that movie. I would say even as good as he was in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Wesne

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman - Hard to argue with you on The Last Detail. Five Easy Pieces is another good one from the same era and is probably better remembered today. If I had to choose my own favorite of these two, it would be a tough decision but I think I'd go with The Last Detail.

Pilgrim - I'm a big fan of The Last of the Mohicans as well, and yes, Madeleine Stowe was good in that film, but whenever I think of that movie I just can't see anything but Wes Studi on the cliff.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Chinatown is slow, but I actually don't mind this movie. Costumes not bad either. There was a sequal to Chinatown, but not as good.

Slightly off topic: Jack Nicholson is a great actor. Wesne mentioned "The Shining". I love that movie. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is one of my favourites. I love him in Easy Rider too.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
catsmeow said:
Chinatown is slow, but I actually don't mind this movie.
Isn't it funny that there are movies we like despite the fact its kind of an effort to watch them? I for one really liked "A Perfect World" with Kevin Costner but most people say "it was okay but I wouldn't watch it again". I watch it a couple of times a year! Yet I understand what my friends are saying when they kind of dismiss it. I still say its a good movie though.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I actually like "The Two Jakes". I think it might be tied into the first film too much. Of course Polanski couldn't come back to direct it. If he steps foot in the U.S. he'll be arrested.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Re: "Two Jakes"...

Nicholson wound up running off the sreenwriter, Robert Towne, as well as the director, costumer, etc. Apparently, he was at his most egomaniacial at that point in his career.

Towne had conceived of a "Chinatown" trilogy- one film involving land, one water and one oil- but that structure fell by the wayside with his departure.

A college professor I knew described "Two Jakes" as "perfectly pedestrian". I'm not sure about that, but it definitely lacks a sense of overall mood and style that permeates "Chinatown".

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Two Jakes was just broadcast on Sleuth TV last night and I got it on the DVR. I saw it in the theater (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) but I wanted to pay closer attention to the sets and costumes. There is a rumor also that in one scene Nicholson walks down a street and you can see an ATM machine in the distance. Pretty awesome for 1947! :p

Ugarte

A-List Customer
I recently rewatched Chinatown myself. In fact, I may watch it again today, but that's beside the point. I didn't find it slow. I thought the pacing was actually good if you paid attention and worked the plot like a mystery. It's a very different movie from, say, The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon but it certainly has its roots there.

And then there's the eyecandy. Great sets and costumes. Nicholson's hats were not so great. Without exception, those hats looked like they were wearing Jack.

I'm off to the PVR.

Mark

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Brian Sheridan said:
Two Jakes was just broadcast on Sleuth TV last night and I got it on the DVR. I saw it in the theater (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) but I wanted to pay closer attention to the sets and costumes. There is a rumor also that in one scene Nicholson walks down a street and you can see an ATM machine in the distance. Pretty awesome for 1947! :p

There were ATMs in 1974 (year film was made)?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I agree - Nicholson didn't look nearly as natural wearing a hat as others in the film. The gent who played Escobar the policeman wore his very naturally - it looked great on him. But Nicholson jammed his hats too far down on his head, and the brims weren't well shaped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points