Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just won this 1940s beauty

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I managed to luck out and pick this up. Beautiful sunburst Talon dates it to the early 40s. Love the look, especially the art deco buckles, a real nice touch. A real survivor or a bygone era where style really mattered. Now lets just hope the leather is as good as it was described. I'll post some pics once it arrives. BTW, anyone fancy a guess as to the maker?

13f1_1.JPG

151f_1.JPG

145c_1.JPG

1589_1.JPG

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Morning to you as well...

Yes, I saw that jacket, wow, what a final price can't say that I could justify paying that, but I'm sure it's valued at that or more.

What sold me on the one I picked up was the art deco buckles, very cool. I'd sure like to know the maker though.

It was pretty much buried on eBay, but others discovered it as well, it stayed very cheap for a long time. I hope it fits, the measurements are spot on for me. I'm just a little worried about the leather, hopefully it's not too bad, really don't want to Pecards it as I love the patina and Pecards will take that away.

Steve, that's a lovely one. There's a jacket in a store in London that i'm looking at. It fits me better than any leather jacket i've encountered. It's pretty much identical to the one you've got here but i'm balking at the £150 price tag as it needs some pretty major repairs. It's a british version of this one, with Lightning zippers, but exactly the same detailing.

:eusa_clap That's a beauty!

bk

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Hear, hear!

What a beautiful jacket! I love the detailing on the back and on the buckle - they just don't make 'em like that anymore...

I'm not an expert but could this be a Sears jacket? This looks like one of theirs to me.

Noel

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A very interesting and stylish jacket. I am looking forward toward seeing it on you.

Have you given any thought to preserving the leather? If it is dried out, I typically use Pecard leather dressing to put moisture back in without detracting from the essential nature of the leather.

Great jacket.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
I'm looking forward to receiving it as well. Funny, the buckles are what attracted me to the jacket in the first place, that plus the fact that it's pre-war as well. Sears? Huh, not sure, maybe, but not sure Sears would go through the trouble to put those art deco buckles on their jacket or not. I was kinda hoping for something a little more exotic, Togs, etc. I've been doing some looking, but these jackets aren't as easy to research as a military contract A-2.[huh]

Jay

Practically Family
Those rakish cuffs and back treatment are really great. VERY stylish. Congratulations.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Might be capeskin. Probably relined a while back. The back details, side buckles, and angle of the handwarmer pockets look like the Los Angeles Sportogs Co but that style was made by dozens of firms in the late 30's so who knows?

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Outstanding James....A great find as well....Do you have a close up of the label? I can't quite make it out.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Estevan said:
I managed to luck out and pick this up. Beautiful sunburst Talon dates it to the early 40s. Love the look, especially the art deco buckles, a real nice touch. A real survivor or a bygone era where style really mattered. Now lets just hope the leather is as good as it was described. I'll post some pics once it arrives. BTW, anyone fancy a guess as to the maker?

13f1_1.JPG

151f_1.JPG

145c_1.JPG

1589_1.JPG

That back panelling is very Art Deco as well with the sunburst motif. It may need a little Pecards or leather conditioner applied to it.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Estevan said:
Outstanding James....A great find as well....Do you have a close up of the label? I can't quite make it out.

Here is the label as requested "Daniel Boone Trail Blazer", cool eh?

It has some damage, this is the worst of it.

Hope I can do some thing with it, any suggestions?

Not sure how bad it really is, shall just have to wait and see, still at just £25. plus shipping its worth the risk.

James.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Looks like some of the top coat has worn or has been scraped away, perhaps a bit of Pecards and then maybe some shoe polish to cover up the lighter colour. As for the label, it looks like the Daniel Boone label os older than the other one that is there, kinda strange.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
jamespibworth@n said:
Thanks for the advice, that’s just about what I was thinking to.

I would guess the top label is the manufacturers and the bottom label a retailer?

Give it a shot...As for the label, it does look like a later add on, maybe a vintage store that picked it up and added it on. Either way, great jacket at a super price. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ