Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keds surgery?

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Hello, ladies!

The incoming fall weather has called for close-toed shoes (for me at least, since I have pretty poor circulation), and the amount of walking I have been doing has called for sneakers. My default sneakers for the past year have been my black Keds, and occasionally a pair of Converse gets thrown into the mix. I also have a pair of 50's saddle shoes, but they're pretty uncomfortable.

Keds are very flat-soled shoes. I'd like to install some insoles with adequate arch and heel support, but I think that just sticking them over the inadequate built-in insoles would make the shoes fit too tightly, especially with socks. I wonder if it would be easy to rip out the built-in insoles and replace them?

Does anyone have any experience in this matter?
Other solutions?
Comfy, arch/heel/vintage-friendly tennis shoe suggestions (or a link to a helpful thread)?

Thank you! ;)

dostacos

Practically Family
keds and converse are very hard to remove the insole, the way the shoe is built it is almost impossible to get out

I would also suggest a better tennis shoe. Most of the good ones have a better arch to start and usually they pull out easy.

the keds and converse have no support, the uppers just keep the sun off your feet;)

I put lifts in/on shoes and fit arch supports to children and those are two shoes I NEVER suggest.

I don't think that is what you wanted to hear but for some one with any foot or circulation issues needs to wear better shoes to protect their feet.

Dan

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You might try a pair of PF Flyers, which have a special removable insole that gives a lot more arch support than the usual canvas sneaker. They come in a lot of vintage/vintagey styles, too! I was born with flat feet, and had to wear orthopedic shoes till I was six, and to this day PFs are the only sneakers I can comfortably wear.

Breaking in saddles does take time -- it took me several months of constant walking to get mine to where they didn't pinch.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
gluegungeisha said:
Also, has anyone else dealt with the saddle shoe wearing-in process? Should I try to wear them in more, or are they just the wrong fit?

If your saddle shoes are leather, I would just suggest taking them to a cobbler to have them softened up/broken in for you.

As for Keds and Converse, a lot of insoles and arch supports don't really take up as much room as you probably think they do. Unless you're getting a heavy duty orthotic or something, you probably don't have to worry about it. Mostly the insole is going to fill in the space under the arch of your foot, without raising your foot up that much.

:eek:fftopic: My grandma always wore red Keds. Since she never got to go to college during the depression, she started going to community college later in life and probably went for 20 years or more - until she could no longer walk from her house to the college. The kids on campus always referred to her as "grandma with the red Keds". She was buried in her red Keds at the age of 96.

ricki

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
You might try a pair of PF Flyers, which have a special removable insole that gives a lot more arch support than the usual canvas sneaker. They come in a lot of vintage/vintagey styles, too! I was born with flat feet, and had to wear orthopedic shoes till I was six, and to this day PFs are the only sneakers I can comfortably wear.

The newest Jack Purcell's also have a removable sole and the style hasn't changed much since they were first made in 1935.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just had a really bad experience wearing my new keds:( so I can't recommend them to anyone and won't be wearing mine for any extended period of time. They tore up my heels like nothing I've every experienced before. The wounds on both feet are about 3 inches long by 2 inches wide and they must be about 1/2 inch deep :eek:. So very painful.
Anyway, the best shoes would be a good supportive sneaker like a Suacony or New Balance. But, if you're looking for more stylish a little less supportive but more supportive than a typical shoe, I'd check out Aldo. I got a great pair of black leather mary jane style shoes last fall that have the sole of a sneaker and they actually are really cute. Obviously not as supportive as a good sneaker, but, I did a lot of walking in mine and I felt great. The thick rubber sole seemed a lot more supportive than a regular pair of shoes. They did take a little to break in, but now that they are they are nice and comfortable. There are a lot of companies out there right now that are making fun stylish yet more supportive sneaker shoes. Like dressier sneakers, shoes that look like shoes on the top but have a sneaker like sole. I saw some great ones at both Nordstrom and Macy's. If I remember the brand I will repost. They are on the pricier side, but Clarkes is making some more stylish shoes, Beautifeels are also making some decent looking comfortable shoes. Argh I wish I could remember the other brands that I saw. When I go by the shoe shoppe tomorrow I'll poke my head in to check the brands out that I saw.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I have prescription orthotics for my flat feet that have a good degree of arch support and little heels even! They work just fine in my Keds. However, the arch support doesn't extend to the balls of my feet, so I have adequate toe room, which might not be the case with store bought inserts.

My feet do pop out of the shoes occasionally because of the little heels on my orthotics, but it's very rare that I can find a shoe where my heel doesn't come out (my feet are very narrow), so I'm used to it.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I'm in the same boat gluegungiesha, I need a more comfortable/supportive pair of shoes, but I can't bring myself to buy a new pair of sneakers because I don't like how they look.

I've been wanting to buy a pair of these sneakers from simple:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28882126/c/105971.html

They look like a more traditional sneaker and the soles and shoelaces are made from recycled bottles and tires. BUT, I can't bring myself to pay the $73.95 price tag.

roselily

One of the Regulars
At a shoemaker you can get arch support inserts that are only the arch- they don't take up any room at all! (they're also leather rather than synthetic, which I prefer). They do cost a bit more but it is worth it for the extra support- I had these put in my wedding shoes!

(I have the opposite prob- super high arches)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
roselily, I have the same problem as you do - really high arches that need support. Where do you get your leather arch supports from? Do you have them professionally installed? Thanks!

roselily

One of the Regulars
I just got them at a shoe repair store. They had a stick- on strip so I just installed them myself, but for heavier duty they could glue them in for you.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Okay, so this morning I just ripped out the built-in insoles with my hands. Pretty easy, actually. Then I stuck my Dr. Scholl's gel insoles in. There was one chunk of foam left under the ball of my right foot that gave me some discomfort earlier, but I just ripped that off and I feel fine now. Savage, temporary solution. My arches and heels feel much better now, though (I walked a few miles to school this morning).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I know the better long-term investment is a nicer pair of shoes, but I can't really afford that right now (I can barely afford groceries as it is!). I know what to put on my birthday wish list, though...

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Might be a little late seen as the surgery has been done and now the shoes are in the recovery state but leather insoles are severly better then anything else and they tend not to be so bulkey so the shoe doesn't get to tight.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have severe foot pain (but is getting better), I used to work at a restarant and I was on my feet between 8 to 12 hours a day on cement. I worked there for a year and a half the first year I did not have a problem because I wore Dansko clogs (I had a pair for many years - that I wore till they fell apart) then the next 6 months I wore converse and that was when I started having the problem, I developed a corn inbetween my toes, I started having pain in the bone around the knuckle of the big toe (bad burning pain:eek: ) almost unbearable pain. Now I work in a office and sit all day but I was still having pain so I broke down and bought another pair of Danskos because I had such good luck with them (no pain at all durring the time at the restarant while wearing them!) they are pretty expensive but I feel they are worth it because the pain is finally getting better! They are good for walking in too because at the restarant I was a hostess and I dont know how many miles I walked a day-but it was a lot. Plus they can also be considered vintage reproduction because my Grandpa on my Mom's side made clogs just like these in the 1940's, the clogs I have are the ones with the counter (back) on them (just like the ones Grandpa used to make) so the whole foot is inclosed which is good for me because regular clogs with the open back do not stay on my feet real well.

Brooksie

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I just saw this thread, and wanted to add a bit on saddle shoes. I got a pair my freshman year of highschool and at first they were painful, on my feet and my wallet. I think I spent $80 for 'em, anyways going to private school I had to wear them everyday and they became the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Had my friend not "borrowed" them indefinitely I probably would still be wearing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ