Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keep or adapt?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Ok - so here's one of these fit threads. Should have been called Flip or Adapt. How do you change headings?

Anyway, I came into a nice pre-owned goatskin Ironheart cafe racer in size 42 a few days ago. Mint condition. Problem is, it feels pretty darn tight. The chest is 22 inches (maybe 22.5).

The jacket fits and can be zipped up, but I can't breathe in too deeply without it tightening up considerably and pressing against my torso - even around the stomach. When I sit down it feels tighter. It feels like what I imagine a girdle would feel like.

I am at my standard weight and do not want or need to lose any - at six two and 183 pounds, with a 41 inch measured chest and 32 inch waist.

It's goat so it is lighter than some hides. But it is serious, thick, heavy goat and is far from soft. Maybe when it softens it will feel better. But by then the jacket will look more worn and be less flippable than it is now.

Anyone my size wears a 22 inch pit to pit? Just looking for some sensible perspective. It fits well when not done up. It just takes effort to do up and then feels very tight.

By the way, it looks fine, so no photos included. It just looks like a trim cafe racer - nothing to learn from images - no strange creasing, folds or constricted drape.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have your exact measurements, although a few pounds lighter, and i can live with 22.5" (that's what my chevalier is)
It's definitely tighter than a 24" aero, but i can deal with it.
I would give it a chance, because i spent years thinking in "Needed" 23.5" minimum, until i got the Chevalier and realized 22.5" was fine.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Sounds like a cool jacket though. I’d keep it for a while and use it this winter season (Aussie), then move it afterwards if not convinced.
If it’s in mint condition now you won’t loose much when/if you flip it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback, Guys. Thanks Carlos I was thinking about your jackets. I think this one is a very close call.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the feedback, Guys. Thanks Carlos I was thinking about your jackets. I think this one is a very close call.

I wouldn't take any rushed decision.

There is a difference between not fitting, and fitting differently from what you are used to.
If you are sure it doesn't fit, get rid of it.
If it fits you differently from what you are used to, give it a chance, you might need to wear it a week before you get used to it.
I wouldn't want all my jackets to be 22.5, as i can't really layer much underneath them, but if i want to layer i just wear an Aero or a larger jacket.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seb,
I would pass this one along. I’ve also had jackets that I was on the fence about, but the uncomfortable feeling when sitting down that you correctly described as feeling like a girdle, was what finally sealed the deal for me. The great irony is that these jackets all looked like a perfect fit when photographed, they just didn’t feel that great when they were on and zipped up. Shame because it sounds like that IH racer is one hell of a nice jacket.

I'm all for style over fit but if I can't take a deep breath in a jacket, I'll move it. Reason why I sold my favorite red CR. I had the feeling the stitching would rip open when I sat down wearing the jacket zipped up and it was constantly bothering me.

Not being able to take a deep breath is probably a no-go for me but I am with Carlos when considering tighter fitting jackets. Also, and I get you don' ride, but the tighter fitting jackets I own are Vanson, which "loosen" up when I sit on a bike. If the jacket is truly uncomfortable when sitting then flip it.

bn1966

One of my favourite jackets, regularly worn & a long standing keeper doesn't do much for me zippered. Didn't think it was staying when it arrived but it's survived every jacket cull since.

bn1966

Another one turned up in the post today funnily enough that is unlikely to be at its best zippered but looks great on and if it stays won't see much zipper action. I did sell on a Cafe Racer that was too tight zippered but great other wise (saw lots of wear) open...have regretted selling it ever since. Moved it on because local fashion swung to CR jackets much as it has with nylon flight jackets recently.

ProteinNerd

I'd flip it, I had a similar issue with my size 40 Board Racer, gorgeous leather and I loved that jacket but it was just that bit too small and every time I wore it I felt I was fighting it.....I put up with it for almost 2 years I think and it never "improved".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112