Keith Richards' Fedora

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlterEgo, Oct 28, 2010.

1. AlterEgo

AlterEgo A-List Customer

Did anyone here catch Charles Osgood's CBS Sunday Morning interview with Keith Richards this past Sunday?

He was wearing a TERRIFIC hat--a very tall and straight-up open-crown dimensional raw-edge brim fedora in a nice beige color, with a wide, mid-brown hatband. Keith wore it well back on his head, but I did catch a few glimpses of the bash: a deep "bucket" on top with nairy a hump, and a pair of side dents close together in front but just short of what I'd call a sharp crease. Appropriate for Keith, the bash was not too carefully formed.

I went to CBS' web site to post a link for y'all to check this hat out, but, unfortunately, there are no videos of this particular program there. Perhaps someone else here will know of another source and post a pic or vid of Keith wearing this great fedora.

I'd love to know exactly what hat this is. Could be an off-the-shelfer, but probably a custom-made affair. Does anyone know or care to specualte?

2. dwebber18

dwebber18 One of the Regulars

Was this what you were referring to. Its the best I could find.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. AlterEgo

AlterEgo A-List Customer

Yep, that's the hat. Thanks for the pics, but these longer-range shots don't do the fedora justice, nor do they show how deep the top bash is. I'd say this hat has at least a six-inch crown (open, pre-bash).

And I stand corrected about the interviewer, who is obviously not Osgood. I guess I was so focused on Keith that I didn't notice who the guy asking questions was!

Anyone have some closer shots and/or care to guess what specific fedora this is?

4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

5. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

Damn he's looking old.

6. Gromulus

Gromulus Practically Family

Hard living!

(I am surprised he is still alive)

7. He's well "preserved".

8. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

pickled.

9. Wrangler95CSA

Wrangler95CSA New in Town

Gentlemen, that's what 50 years of drug use will do to you, provided you survive the trip.

10. ideaguy

ideaguy One Too Many

got that right. difference tween me & Mr. Richards is just $50 million or so. I got better hats, though.

11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo A-List Customer

The man can sure play the guitar, though. He understands that less is more.

12. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've often suspected that if I drank some of Keef's blood, I'd be immortal. Hey, come to think of it.... those are maybe the first photos I've seen of him in daylight in a long time.... (you know where I'm going with that... lol ). Great hat, I really like the colour.

13. leo

leo One of the Regulars

An article in American Way this month about KR showed no pics of him wearing hats, but in a sidebar Travis frontman Fran Healy was wearing a semi-stingy fedora.

And I just did a double-take on a hat photo in the USA Today. A political rally photo that included the Nuge in his trademark "flying nun" camo western on one side and the running candidate on the other wearing a very nice wide brim "Indy" with a heavy-duty peaked pinch.

'Tis getting to be the season, too, when I'm seeing a few more hats on heads out and about.

Speaking of music...if you're a Deadhead, you can download a free song from their archives each day this month from their website.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  14. DAJE

DAJE One of the Regulars

I disagree - I'd say his wrinkles come from sun damage, not drug abuse. I've seen both up close, and from my observations, I'd say tanning is far worse for your skin than any amount of drug abuse.

I'm quite a fan of Richards, and my impression is that "drug ravaged Keith" is far more of a showbiz persona than reality. Which is not to say that he never took drugs, of course, but that he hasn't had a serious drug problem since the 70s. He does drink a lot of booze, though.

15. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

I like his music ¡¡¡

I do not know if this man was a drug, but He is alive, it is not easy in a person wich has abused in drugs, single He is maybe 65 or more years old and is working yet, but a thing is viewed to me: KR does not style to use any fedora, wear like any beggar out of tune. ¡¡¡¡ in the other hand, his music is great ¡¡¡¡¡¡

16. MCrider

MCrider A-List Customer

I believe thats the same hat that Keith wore on the cover of Rolling Stone recently.

17. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

Oddly enough, Mr. Richards has been an "ex-junkie" for some thirty-years.

-dixon cannon

18. 150719541

150719541 One Too Many

Furthermore

Eccentric, He is always looking someone can see him, the hats do not come with him ¡¡¡¡¡¡
    In spanish we called: "estrafalario"

19. Cigarette smoking & sun damage effect the skin tone much more so that the drug abuse. JMHO

20. Edward

Edward Bartender

A doctor once told me that 90% of the visible signs of aging are directly attributable to the effects of exposure to the sun. Certainly the people I have known over the years who have been sun worshippers very definitely aged faster than those of us who shy away from it. Smoking definitely has an effect too - the long term smokers I have known all look significantly older than their contemporaries who never smoked.

I agree. If he'd done even the half of what he's meant to, the man would have died a dozen times over. 99% of the time, scratch a music industry legend and you'll find nothing but myth underneath. Not that it has ever hurt Keef (or many others for that matter) from a marketing perspective.