Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keratin Smoothing, Brazilian Blow-outs, etc. and Vintage Hairstyles

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm curious about these new keratin treatments, also known as a Brazilian Blow-out, available to supposedly reduce curl and frizz, and increase manageability. The results last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months with gradual reduction so you don't have a line of new growth like with straighteners and perms. Nearly all the before/after photos (examples here) and videos (and there are hundreds) show curls or waves going to bone straight hair. I don't want bone straight hair, I'm not even trying to loosen curls. But the benefit of having a smoother hair cuticle with less frizz would be wonderful. I'd like to hear from those who've used a product like this, their results, and how it fits into a vintage-styled life. Does this process affect how well the hair holds a curl set?

Last edited:

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
That is so bizarre, just yesterday I was thinking of posting on this very same subject, as a salon near me is having a 25% sale on the process. Like yourself I don't want either straight hair or loose curls but a frizz-free head of hair.

The only person I know who has had it done said it worked beautifully for weeks, but again, she has long hair worn completely straight.

I will be very interested to see how this thread develops...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I helped with a number of these treatments when I was a hairdressing assistant. They will make your hair stick straight. If you don't want this, then I wouldn't recommend it.

However, speaking as someone who has naturally stick straight hair, it might make for a smoother set. The treatment won't stop your hair from curling, or holding a curl, so it might be an option for very unruly hair.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm really tempted to try it because everything I've read says that sulfates strip the seal so that your hair will return to its present state sooner, therefore after a keratin treatment, the recommendation is to avoid sulfate shampoos. I'm thinking if I don't like the results, I can always strip it sooner than the 3 month approximate time period.

All the instructions say the hair has to be sealed with a flat iron following application of the keratin and then kept completely straight - no rubber bands, hair pins, putting hair behind ears, etc. - for 3 - 4 days afterward while it 'cures'. If you aren't supposed to bend the hair during that post-treatment phase, does that mean bending the hair will result in it staying that way? Hmm...what if someone flat ironed their hair and wore it straight the first 24 hours, then say, curled it on rollers for the next 24-48 of the cure period? Would it give a girl a wash-and-wear curl pattern she chose instead of the one she was born with? Hypotheses are welcome...

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If you aren't supposed to bend the hair during that post-treatment phase, does that mean bending the hair will result in it staying that way? Hmm...what if someone flat ironed their hair and wore it straight the first 24 hours, then say, curled it on rollers for the next 24-48 of the cure period? Would it give a girl a wash-and-wear curl pattern she chose instead of the one she was born with? Hypotheses are welcome...

(Sorry to keep chiming in!)

If you bend the hair at all during the curing period, it will kink. Ditto for rolling the hair - I don't imagine it will come out pretty. One girl came running back to our salon in tears because she put her hair in a loose ponytail-type job, hoping it would go wavy... Can't say that I blamed her!

Also, it's a pretty expensive procedure ($300 and up) so if you disliked the results and just washed it out... Well... :(

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I believe the OSHA warning is due to high levels of formaldehyde in the air of salons doing keratin straightening procedures, which likely contain a much higher concentration than my bathroom at home. It is still currently allowed in a variety of products up to a certain concentration level. Formaldehyde is in so many things around us anyway that I'm not worried about putting it in my hair for a few days. Some brands are starting to make a product they claim is formaldehyde-free, although who knows if they're being truthful.

C-dot - so bending the hair during this curing phase isn't predictable? If she tried for loose waves and got kink (as in braided-overnight-kink? tangled kink?) And please, you are not butting in at all. This is a forum and all input is welcome. Besides, you're a resource, knowing much more about the product than I do!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think I'd be giving anything containing formaldehyde a miss.

Formaldehyde isn't too common in the treatments anymore. Oddly enough though, as mentioned in the original article Clabbergirl linked to, the treatments lost some effectiveness without it. Thats where the Brazilian Blow-Out aims to improve. (I don't have experience with these, though, since abandoning aesthetics a few years back - But they sure make it sound good!)

C-dot - so bending the hair during this curing phase isn't predictable? If she tried for loose waves and got kink (as in braided-overnight-kink? tangled kink?) And please, you are not butting in at all. This is a forum and all input is welcome. Besides, you're a resource, knowing much more about the product than I do!

Thanks for that; I worry that I achieve the cyber version of running my mouth lol

From what I've seen, the kink will stay in the same shape of whatever bent it initially (hair tie, glasses), especially since Keratin solution has a non-malleable property to it while still in your hair. The girl I mentioned had medusa-like kink, and one other had a permanent bend from a hair clip. Having it fixed involved more cash, and more damage.

The reason why I think Keratin treatments will work with sets is because they allow the hair some volume and movement, unlike thermal reconditioning, which will not take to any manipulation.

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
If I try this, I will certainly post a follow-up. I noticed Sally Beauty here has their own version - Ion brand. None of the girls in the store could tell me much about it, but it's inexpensive. Of course realizing you often get what you pay for, I'm going to do more research. Thanks for much for the info. Still hoping to hear from folks who've done this.

Antje

One Too Many
In Holland we don't really have the treatment yet, but i'm also very confused about the ingredients, and in my area everything has to be cheap so I guess we won't be doing the keratin treatment in our salon

TheRedSquare

New in Town
I have had this treatment done three times now in the last year or so. I can't say I recommend it for vintage hairstyling. Now, I'm new to setting my hair in curlers and such so you can take my experience with a grain of salt, but I really feel like my hair doesn't hold the curl like it should. I have had the Brazilian Blowout treatment and it has never caused my naturally curly hair to be stick straight, although it has dramatically relaxed it and shortened my blow dry time (when I would straighten.) I still battle frizz. The only reduction in frizz that I ever notice is if I blow dry my hair straight, and that's something I haven't done since I have thrown myself full force into achieving more vintage inspired hairstyles. With my natural curls and texture, I would think that my hair type would hang on to a set for at least a couple days. If I don't load my hair with setting lotion my curls are gone in a day. I'm already anxious to see how my hair will respond once my BB wears off, but so far it's been about 12 weeks since the last treatment and my hair is still FAR from it's natural state. :(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have frizzy wavy hair, and I wear it a ton of different ways - sometimes flat ironed straight, sometimes wet set curly, sometimes naturally wavy. Have you ever thought about trying one of the over-the-counter temporary keratin treatments to reduce frizz? I have used John Frieda 3-day straight spray, and it works great for flat ironing, I'm sure it would also work well with blowdrying and curling iron or hot rollers. I also know that Organix makes one that supposedly lasts up to 6 weeks.

The other thing I can recommend is that if you wet set your hair, work an anti-frizz serum or cream through your hair very thoroughly before your regular setting lotion. I also like to use a dab of Brilliantine or V05 hairdressing cream on my hair while I'm styling it to reduce frizz.

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I have frizzy wavy hair, and I wear it a ton of different ways - sometimes flat ironed straight, sometimes wet set curly, sometimes naturally wavy. Have you ever thought about trying one of the over-the-counter temporary keratin treatments to reduce frizz? I have used John Frieda 3-day straight spray, and it works great for flat ironing, I'm sure it would also work well with blowdrying and curling iron or hot rollers. I also know that Organix makes one that supposedly lasts up to 6 weeks.

The other thing I can recommend is that if you wet set your hair, work an anti-frizz serum or cream through your hair very thoroughly before your regular setting lotion. I also like to use a dab of Brilliantine or V05 hairdressing cream on my hair while I'm styling it to reduce frizz.

I have seen these keratin treatments on the shelves and wondered if they were worth the money. I believe one even said it would wash out after a couple of days? I'm thinking of trying the Ion brand from Sally Beauty, just haven't got around to it on time. The idea of keeping my hair straight for several days in this southern humidity seems like too much to undertake right now. I like your suggestion about using a serum in the hair, but how do you keep it from getting greasy looking after a few days of setting and wear? That is, assuming you wet set once, then roll up dry or some other variation for a few days before washing again. I LOVE V05 hairdressing too, as does my hair, but I'm afraid of building up my hair with dirt-attracting gunk if I go a few days before washing. What's the trick?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ My trick is that my hair is very coarse and tends to be dry. LOL. I usually wash it 1-3 times per week, sometimes I go an entire week, and it will hold either a set or straightening without much touch-up. I use a pretty large amount of products on mine, including heavy stuff like Cantu shea butter cream or oily/silicone serums, as well as hairspray & other styling products, and mine can go several days before I start to look greasy at all. I'm also in north central Texas where it has been 109 for weeks on end. So again, I guess it is really going to depend on your hair type how long you can go before you start to get the greasies.

I have sometimes used a spray-on "dry" shampoo toward the end of the week, but I have not been impressed with what I have tried - John Frieda and Sebastian. They seem to work okay for a couple of hours, then make my hair much more greasy than it was to begin with.

Anyway, the John Frieda straightening spray I use lasts 3 days according to the bottle, but I've gotten a week out of it before. The Organix one is supposed to last 6 weeks. I haven't tried it, but have seen some good reviews.

Last edited:

Xancla

New in Town
I sorry for bump an old topic I just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.I had the Coppola Keratin treatment just over 12 mths ago at a salon so was keen to give this a go as I couldn't justify the cost to go back to the salon. I followed all the directions, and having had the treatment applied before, I felt ok doing it myself. I did take a while, from the initial step of washing with the clarifying shampoo supplied in the kit, to the final flat ironing. Then you have to leave it in for 48 hours before washing (I did buy the matching shampoo and conditioner, as I previously using the Organix shea butter range and really liked them) and can't tie your hair back or put it behind your ears etc. I noticed a couple of things that are worth mentioning. One, after the treatment, the product in my hair felt really and waxy and kind of stiff. It didn't look too bad, but the feel was yucky. After the salon treatment I remember it felt more 'normal'. This time, I wasn't even sure I could leave it in for 2 days. I'm not sure why this happened. Perhaps less efficient flat ironing on my part (you have to pass the iron over the hair 7-10 times, in small sections). Two, my hair is dyed mid-dark brown with light brown foil highlights. The treatment has actually taken the colour back a couple of shades, especially the highlighted parts. And the colour was quite brassy (orange). I didn't mind the lightning but not so keen on the brassiness. While in the 2 day wait I bought a blonde toner, only $5, to use after washing to try and correct the orange. So, I stuck it out for 2 days, and I admit the product did get absorbed and it was not quite as waxy, especially in the ends. But I couldn't wait to wash it out! I used the Organix products https://womentake.com/best-shampoo-for-brazilian-blowout/ and the toner after the conditioner. And the end results, after the first wash?...really, really impressed! My hair is lovely and soft and silky. It was so easy to blow dry and straighten, and has a healthy shine. I will be interested to see how long it lasts, but so far I'm pleased with the results for the price. I have no idea about safety for use while BF though. I didn't find the fumes unpleasant, but they were definitely there, and to have the effect it must have some chemical reaction going on.

Around

New in Town
I sorry for bump an old topic I just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.I had the Coppola Keratin treatment just over 12 mths ago at a salon so was keen to give this a go as I couldn't justify the cost to go back to the salon. I followed all the directions, and having had the treatment applied before, I felt ok doing it myself. I did take a while, from the initial step of washing with the clarifying shampoo supplied in the kit, to the final flat ironing. Then you have to leave it in for 48 hours before washing (I did buy the matching shampoo and conditioner, as I previously using the Organix shea butter range and really liked them) and can't tie your hair back or put it behind your ears etc. I noticed a couple of things that are worth mentioning. One, after the treatment, the product in my hair felt really and waxy and kind of stiff. It didn't look too bad, but the feel was yucky. After the salon treatment I remember it felt more 'normal'. This time, I wasn't even sure I could leave it in for 2 days. I'm not sure why this happened. Perhaps less efficient flat ironing on my part (you have to pass the iron over the hair 7-10 times, in small sections). Two, my hair is dyed mid-dark brown with light brown foil highlights. The treatment has actually taken the colour back a couple of shades, especially the highlighted parts. And the colour was quite brassy (orange). I didn't mind the lightning but not so keen on the brassiness. While in the 2 day wait I bought a blonde toner, only $5, to use after washing to try and correct the orange. So, I stuck it out for 2 days, and I admit the product did get absorbed and it was not quite as waxy, especially in the ends. But I couldn't wait to wash it out! I used the Organix products https://womentake.com/best-shampoo-for-brazilian-blowout/ and the toner after the conditioner. And the end results, after the first wash?...really, really impressed! My hair is lovely and soft and silky. It was so easy to blow dry and straighten, and has a healthy shine. I will be interested to see how long it lasts, but so far I'm pleased with the results for the price. I have no idea about safety for use while BF though. I didn't find the fumes unpleasant, but they were definitely there, and to have the effect it must have some chemical reaction going on.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm in constant look of something about hairstyling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points