Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kilroy

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
WHO THE HECK WAS KILROY?

KILROY WAS HERE!
In 1946 the American Transit Association,
through its radio program, "Speak to America," sponsored a nationwide contest to find the REAL Kilroy,
offering a prize of a real trolley car to the person who could prove himself to be the genuine article.

Almost 40 men stepped forward to make that claim, but only James Kilroy from Halifax, Massachusetts
had evidence of his identity.

Kilroy was a 46-year old shipyard worker during the war. He worked as a checker at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy.
His job was to go around and check on the number of rivets completed. Riveters were on piecework and got paid by the rivet.

Kilroy would count a block of rivets and put a check mark in semi-waxed lumber chalk,
so the rivets wouldn't be counted twice. When Kilroy went off duty, the riveters would erase the mark.

Later on, an off-shift inspector would come through and count the rivets a second time, resulting in double pay for the riveters.

One day Kilroy's boss called him into his office.
The foreman was upset about all the wages being paid to riveters, and asked him to investigate.
It was then that he realized what had been going on.

The tight spaces he had to crawl in to check the rivets didn't lend themselves to lugging around a paint can and brush,
so Kilroy decided to stick with the waxy chalk.
He continued to put his checkmark on each job he inspected, but added KILROY WAS HERE in king-sized letters next to the check, and eventually added the sketch of the chap with the long nose peering over the fence and that became part
of the Kilroy message. Once he did that, the riveters stopped trying to wipe away his marks.

Ordinarily the rivets and chalk marks would have been covered up with paint. With a war on, however, ships were leaving the Quincy Yard so fast that there wasn't time to paint them.

As a result, Kilroy's inspection "trademark" was seen by thousands of servicemen who boarded the troopships the yard produced.
His message apparently rang a bell with the servicemen, because they picked it up and spread it all over Europe
and the South Pacific.
Before the war's end, "Kilroy" had been here, there, and everywhere on the long haul to Berlin and Tokyo.

To the unfortunate troops outbound in those ships, however, he was a complete mystery; all they knew for sure
was that some jerk named Kilroy had "been there first."
As a joke, U.S. servicemen began placing the graffiti wherever they landed, claiming it was already there
when they arrived.

Kilroy became the U.S. super-GI who had always "already been" wherever GIs went.
It became a challenge to place the logo in the most unlikely places imaginable (it is said to be atop Mt. Everest,
the Statue of Liberty, the underside of the Arch De Triumphe, and even scrawled in the dust on the moon.)

And as the war went on, the legend grew. Underwater demolition teams routinely sneaked ashore on Japanese-held islands in the Pacific to map the terrain for the coming invasions by U.S. troops (and thus, presumably, were the first GI's there). On one occasion, however, they reported seeing enemy troops painting over the Kilroy logo!
In 1945, an outhouse was built for the exclusive use of Roosvelt, Stalin, and Churchill at the Potsdam conference.

The first person inside was Stalin, who emerged and asked his aide (in Russian), "Who is Kilroy?" ..

To help prove his authenticity in 1946, James Kilroy brought along officials from the shipyard and some of the riveters.
He won the trolley car, which he gave to his nine children as a Christmas gift and set it up as a playhouse
in the Kilroy front yard in Halifax, Massachusetts.

So now You Know!

1. snopes.com: Etymology of Kilroy Was Here ••••
Did the phrase 'Kilroy Was Here' began as a ship inspector's mark in World War II?
...Home --> Language --> Phrase Origins --> Kilroy Was Here Kilroy Was Here Claim: The phrase "Kilroy Was Here" began as a ship inspector's mark in...
...KILROY WAS HERE! In 1946 the American Transit Association, through its radio program, "Speak to America," sponsored a nationwide contest to find the...
..."Speak to America," sponsored a nationwide contest to find the REAL Kilroy, offering a prize of a real trolley car to the person who could prove himself...
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:37:02 GMT http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/kilroy.asp

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I love Kilroy. As an aircraft mechanic in the USAF we would send parts to the backshops to be repaired. I put the famous "kilroy was here" and face on most parts that I sent in, just to see if I would get my part back or someone elses junk. Soon I started seeing "my" kilroy parts on the C-5 fleet at Dover AFB. I wonder if any of the backshop guys questioned it? Kilroy Lives!!!:p

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
That is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool story. I always wondered where that came from. I remember a picture of my father before I was born. He was
painting a wall at the time. On one unpainted wall, he decided to do something so my mother could take a picture of him. He painted a picture of Kilroy and then my mother took a picture of him standing there with the brush in his hand.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've known most of the story for quite some time, but didn't know about the riveters wiping away the inspection marks.
Because of my screen name as well as the name of my living history group (Kilroy's Homefront Commandos) I regularly get asked , "Who was Kilroy?"

ChadHahn

New in Town
Near the rail yards there is a little bridge built during the war. Inscribed in the cement is "Killroy Was Here" I had thought that with the spelling it was a very early occurrence but it was from 44.

As soon as I posted I found the pictures. They aren't the best but here they are.

Chad

1.JPG

2.JPG

xwray

Familiar Face
thanks for posting this...I've read several apparently apocryphal blurbs on how Kilroy came to pass but this makes more sense than any of those.

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
I remember seeing "Kilroy was here" when I saw the movie Kelly's Heroes, as a kid. It was also in some other war movie, a black & white movie I think, where I saw it painted on a tank.

The coolest story I've read about Kilroy was that when the first special operations frogmen were delivered by sub at night to scout out Tokyo Bay, they found "Kilroy was here" painted on a wall overlooking the harbor.

Tony

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points