Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knit T-shirts / short-sleeve sweaters

Edward

Bartender
So. Over the last couple of years I've picked up five of these knit-cotton t-shirts with a motif machine-knitted into them. (Mine are all from Collectif.co.uk , purchased in half-price sales. Lovely things, machine-wash really well.) This one is a favourite:

1691659416337.png

Scuse the context of the photo, only shot I can find of me in one of these. :D

What's got me curious is this - these are popular on the rockabilly scene, and as far as I can determine evolved at some point in the very early 50s? I remember we had a thread some years ago on vintage print t-shirts, but I don't recall us looking at this sort of thing in depth. I've gotten to wondering whether there's any relationship between these and print-ts. Is it just coincidence, different way of doing things, or did the printed t-shirt evolve as a cheaper alternative to getting these sorts of motifs on yer torso?

Interested too to see more of this sort of thing. Mine are all repros (as is the direction of my wardrobe these days, with 'real vintage' having largely priced me out in terms of available sizes, or rendered me too afraid to wear it with any regularity)., but very interested to also see older pieces anyone has. Since discovering these, I've greatly enjoyed them, much to my own amusement as I've complete moved away from regular print t-shirts (saving myself a fortune at gigs!).

DanielPetmr

New in Town
So. Over the last couple of years I've picked up five of these knit-cotton t-shirts with a motif machine-knitted into them. (Mine are all from Collectif.co.uk , purchased in half-price sales. Lovely things, machine-wash really well.) This one is a favourite:

View attachment 538769

Scuse the context of the photo, only shot I can find of me in one of these. :D

What's got me curious is this - these are popular on the rockabilly scene, and as far as I can determine evolved at some point in the very early 50s? I remember we had a thread some years ago on vintage print t-shirts, but I don't recall us looking at this sort of thing in depth. I've gotten to wondering whether there's any relationship between these and print-ts. Is it just coincidence, different way of doing things, or did the printed t-shirt evolve as a cheaper alternative to getting these sorts of motifs on yer torso?

Interested too to see more of this sort of thing. Mine are all repros (as is the direction of my wardrobe these days, with 'real vintage' having largely priced me out in terms of available sizes, or rendered me too afraid to wear it with any regularity)., but very interested to also see older pieces anyone has. Since discovering these polished concrete tampa, I've greatly enjoyed them, much to my own amusement as I've complete moved away from regular print t-shirts (saving myself a fortune at gigs!).
I would like to try and make myself a short sleeved summer pullover (possibly using Cascade “Avalon” yarn).
I have found several patterns, but none that quite meet my expectations. I’m interested in a crew neck, the ones I’ve found appear to have either a v-neck or boat neck. Also, I’m really short but am also…I believe “fluffy” is the kind way of putting it…so I would like something that fits loose, not fitted.
I see plenty of long sleeved pullover patterns that I like, but with this being my first attempt, I have no clue as to how I could figure out how to make them short sleeved.
Anyone have any simple patterns for a “sweater newbie”?
Thanks so much for any help!!

jchance

One of the Regulars
I thought you were talking about these, which I think are very good looking. Made by S.E.H. Kelly.

Attachments

• t-shirt-cotton-tuck-knit-dark-1@2x.jpeg
    t-shirt-cotton-tuck-knit-dark-1@2x.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 25
  • t-shirt-cotton-knit-oatmeal-1@2x.jpeg
    t-shirt-cotton-knit-oatmeal-1@2x.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner