Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Hat Company History

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
As I'm awaiting a new vintage Knox hat, I've been reviewing various info on the Knox history and came across an interesting posting that was actually published to give history for the Knox Building in New York City, which happens to be tied to the company, itself. I was very surprised at the amount of detailed info on the Knox Hat Company that was listed throughout the article, so I'd like to share it here. I haven't seen the link posted before, although it could very well be something I've missed in the wealth of info on TFL. Here's the link, enjoy:

http://www.npclibrary.org/db/bb_files/80-KNOX-BLDNG.pdf

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Chas. Knox (name of the founder) was a, or possibly the, brand name on Knox hats for awhile at midcentury. (Then again, with at least one similarly named subsidiary - the retail division - there may have been a whole other line of merch.) I've seen at least one hatbox bearing that name.

fedoracentric

Banned
I have to say, I found this Knox advertisement from 1910 hilarious.

So, Knox noticed a photo of President Teddy Roosevelt waving away the Great White Fleet as it steamed off across the oceans in a world-wide show of American force just before WWI. Teddy was waving his topper and inside the topper was a clear Knox logo. So, Knox wanted to use a close up of Prez TR's hand holding the Knox hat. Teddy said, no way did he want to be used to sell Knox hats. He didn't think it was right to have a president used to sell something.

So, instead of using the actual photo, Knox had someone draw the image and they used it anyway!

knox.jpg
Knox_ad_Date.jpg
Knox_ad_copy.jpg

Pretty funny stuff.

Joel-Ruthie Simon

New in Town
I have a Knox Twenty Custom Edge, Curious to find out the production year and model of the fedora. I think is a "Twenty" but not sure. These are the codes inside the hat: Oval: LO, To Duplicate: H 23749, Block 006, 5 1/2 Size: 7 1/4. (I believe the 5 1/4 is the crown size because that is what is measured at. Below are a couple of pictures. JESNYY@aol.com Thank you Happy Thanksgiving 2020, Stay safe

Attachments

• Knox Twenty Custom Edge.png
    Knox Twenty Custom Edge.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Knox Twenty Inside.png
    Knox Twenty Inside.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 403

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I only see thumbnail size photos that are too small to enlarge and see an detail. The info you posted from inside hat is standard production markings that are common for decades and don't tell us anything about the hat date or model. H23749 is usually some ID number but I do not think anyone has ever made any sense of it giving date or model. It might even be an order number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points