Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Premier Westlite

Ande1964

Practically Family
I spotted this buy-it-now last week and pulled the trigger, despite not having seen a photo. A vintage hat in my size (7 5/8 long oval) is worth at least that much, unless it's completely trashed, I figured.

It showed up today, and it's a beauty. As you can see, it's an OR clone, with a slightly different ribbon knot. The color is much like my Campdraft in silverbelly. The felt is very soft, but still stiff, as you might expect for this kind of hat. Looks like it might be unworn. I've been putting Lexol on the sweat today, and I may dunk it tomorrow to loosen up the cattleman's crease. The sweat has shrunk some, so I'll stretch it out a bit, too. I'll come back with more photos when I get done with it.

No clues as to age... nothing under the sweat except a tag with size and color code.

westlite.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Ande1964, What a great find. Your gamble more than paid off. The leather in the sweatband looks new, in the photo. Everything is clean as a whistle. It Has beautiful lines, too! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
Pristine..

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Congrats.
It's gonna look great on you.

I love the very thin bound edge.

Awesome.

I picked up some ribbon, about the same size, that matches my federation ribbon exactly.
I've been considering it and your hat above is making me lean that way. I also have a new
hat body (camel color, rabbit felt) coming from hatsupply.com and may use the thin ribbon on
the new hat instead.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Thanks all.

I got the sweat treated, and did a minor stretch, but it's still a tight fit on me. I fear that, if I got further with the hat jack, I will be risking tapering the felt. I've been thinking about building a whole-hat stretcher, so this hat may be on hold for a few days while I work on that.

I'm torn about the bash. I'm not dead set against the cattleman's, but this one is very shallow on the top, and I don't like it much. I don't want to make this look just like my Campdraft, though, which I have done in a diamond-like bash. I'll have to play with some other options.

Progress photos will follow!

Anj

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff