Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KONG, Skull Island, and the Forgotten WWII Pilot

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I saw this over the weekend and I really liked it. It's a fun movie to see, hella violent, and an interesting time placement at the time of the end of the Viet Nam war. The absolutely overwhelming and unfriendly jungle is an interesting parallel with the war itself. And then there's this guy...

397366_019.jpg

Who almost walked off with the film. John C. Riley is a WWII Pilot who crashes on the island along with a Japanese pilot and the two survive there together for 30 years.
It's a good movie with what I found to be a touching ending. Good occasional homage to the original film, including a Kong who varies in size in relation to the backgrounds but is generally ridiculously (and unsupportably) HUGE. And you can see in some shots that Kong has the overly big brow ridges which became a part of the original filmmaking legend.

the-kong-skull-island-trailer-is-even-more-thrilling-than-you-hoped.jpg

browse-over-50-new-screenshots-from-kong-skull-island-75.png
kongwhiteeyes2.jpg

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I loved it too and Coda at the end was perfect. Won't spoil it... just perfect. But being ex-Army all I could think of was "how much back pay that sunnova !@#$ was gonna have to spend".

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I keep getting surprised when I read capsule commentaries like these. So many films nowadays, especially sequels, are uninteresting to me. It's a pleasant shock when I hear about a good one, i.e., a good concept.

Edward

Bartender
Is it a redux of the origniral story, as reflected in the three version of King Kong, or do they stay on the island this time?

Feraud

Bartender
Glad to hear another good review of this. John C Reilly is a guy whose work I always enjoy. Glad to see him in another big (no pun intended) film.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Honestly, I have zero interest in seeing this apart from John C. Reilly's part. A definite wait-for-cable flick for me.

Reilly is always fantastic, especially when he stretches and doesn't play his typical lovable goofball-type role - not that he isn't great at those too.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Is it a redux of the origniral story, as reflected in the three version of King Kong, or do they stay on the island this time?

Nope, completely new story set in the Early 70's as the Viet Nam war is ending. It's not a question of staying on the island... it's a question of who's gonna live long enough to get off it!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points