Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.L. Bean Flying Tiger Jacket.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I’ve been shopping for one of these jackets with the wool lining and Mouton collar. The versions in the current catalog are S, M and L and advertised as “Body is lined with warm merino wool pile.” Earlier jackets say on the tag “shearling lined.” I assume that means actual sheepskin lining. These earlier jackets are also sized by number, i.e., 38, 40, etc. I would appreciate any information or experience Loungers might have with these jackets or their history. Also curious about sizing. Do they run large or small in the numbered sizes? Thanks.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
LL Bean flying tiger edition repros...

run BIG in IMHO. I have a size 36 which wears very comfortably although on the big size. To give you a point of reference, the pit to pit measurement is 21 1/2 inches whereas other jackets I have in size 36s range anywhere from 19 inches - 19 1/2 inches. I guess since its based loosely on a G-1 that the cut is generous and more of a modern V-shape.

I know some of the forum members frown on repros that are not accurate period pieces BUT for the money I think the LL Bean goatskin hide quality and jacket itself is a nice bargain and good quality jacket.

Even taking the sheepskin lining into account the jacket still wears big!! It actually measures the same as a shearling B-3 I have from pit to pit. The b-3 is much more bulky looking even though the measurements are similar. [huh]

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Bruce

Inusuit said:
I’ve been shopping for one of these jackets with the wool lining and Mouton collar. The versions in the current catalog are S, M and L and advertised as “Body is lined with warm merino wool pile.” Earlier jackets say on the tag “shearling lined.” I assume that means actual sheepskin lining. These earlier jackets are also sized by number, i.e., 38, 40, etc. I would appreciate any information or experience Loungers might have with these jackets or their history. Also curious about sizing. Do they run large or small in the numbered sizes? Thanks.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I cannot say enough about this jacket. I love it.

In my discussions with the people at Bean, I was told the sizing is intentionally large and not a repro but a jacket based on G-1. I take a 48 or 50 when I am in training with a 36 waist. Therefore the waist is a little roomy.

I was not looking for a repro(not my thing) but a good, warm, tough jacket that can take a beating and look great.

So I was not disappointed:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Peacoat

Bartender
Agree with the above posters. Mine is a Large, and it wears like a 46 to 48, although the sizing chart says 42 to 44 for the large. I knew it would be large when I got it, and that is what I wanted so I could layer underneath for motorcycle riding. Like CB above, the waist on mine is a bit roomy. It is warm and well made.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
These are neat jackets as is evidenced by my avatar (late 90's vintage shearling, B-17G). The jacket fits me pretty well but isn't particularly flattering. Maybe it's the handwarmer pockets that puff out at the waist or the way it is cut in the middle. I am planning on giving it to my father because, I hate to admit it, but it looks better on him. On the plus side it is really warm and the tall size is very adequate for me at 6'4.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boink

I went to an LL Bean outlet today.

Wouldn't ya know there was an LL Bean Flying Tiger jacket(Thinsulate) in my size. Half price with the 30% I left the store :eusa_doh:

Then thought I must be a bonehead :eek:

Went back wrestled it from an old lady and bought it.

Feel good about my good fortune;)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Jacket is now sized as S, M, L, XL. Body is now: lined with 70% Merino wool and 30% polyester pile and Thinsulate-insulated sleeves. Description no longer describes collar. Perhaps collar is now polyester synthetic fur. Three piece yoked back. Jacket is no longer "Made in the USA". I had to send back an XL because the chest, back, and arms were way too snug.

Forrest

Familiar Face
You may want to comb ebay for one of these. You can get an amazing deal on an older one, when they were made in the U.S.A, and had a trimmer fit than they do now. They also had numbered sizes then. I picked up one in near mint condition with a Thinsulate liner for $45.00!

Weston

A-List Customer
Agreed. You'll get better quality and price on ebay. I got mine (US made, 30 years old) for $40 shipped in August from a guy in Florida! My favorite jacket - the only signs of wear and tear are the falling apart label inside. Everyone else thinks it's new. Plus, sized as a 40, it's nice and trim, since it was produced in the days before most of the population was obese. Gotta go used and chest sized if you want that trimmer vintage look.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
I've a LL Bean A-2 from 1985, before the jackets were labeled "Flying Tigers." It a nice jacket. Made in USA. Trim fit. Sized by number (42 still fits :D). Single-piece back. Two-piece sleeves. Scoville zip and ring snaps. Collar stand. It does have hand warmer pockets, but I guess that now meets the current issue spec.

Cheers,

Mac

Beacon Rusty

One of the Regulars
My Bean "A-2" has the same specs as Kid Mac's. When I ordered it in 1990, the catalog did not call it the "Flying Tigers Jacket." When it arrived, I was surprised to see the label read "L. L. Bean Flying Tigers Jacket." I guess the name change occurred in 1990. This was before they offered the mouton-collared version. At one point, they offered a distressed version of the original Bean jacket. This also was before the introduction of their mouton-collared version.

Rusty

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
You may want to comb ebay for one of these. You can get an amazing deal on an older one, when they were made in the U.S.A, and had a trimmer fit than they do now. They also had numbered sizes then. I picked up one in near mint condition with a Thinsulate liner for $45.00!

I've two. One's an A-2 style the other is the G-1 style w/ a quilted lining. Both are 42's and were made in America. Both picked up for peanuts on ebay. haha. The G-1 is among my most worn jackets. Looks brand new but probably over 10 years old.

Untitledvvv.jpg

Untitled4.jpg

Norsksea

New in Town
I have a older US made 42 long that fits me good I use as a driving jacket and a older US made 44 long 100% shearing wool lined with Mouton collar I wear all winter long and is super warm. The same/newer jackets made in Turkey are have the modern over sized measurements.
Frank

Weston

A-List Customer
I should point out mine is a one piece back, two piece sleeve as well, but minus the "Flying Tiger" moniker. The zip is a Talon - like the A-2's of old. Not sure if it was a replacement or original to the jacket - but it seems very solid.

ckramer

New in Town
Zombie post!

I have a G1 flying tiger from the older days when it was actual shearling and marked with a 38, etc. size. They must run very big because mine is marked 38 and I'm 6' 4" 190 and it fits me like it was tailor made for me. Nice hefty talon zipper and very warm liner and collar. They're great jackets. I think I paid $45 shipped on eBay about 6 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto