Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Labor Day, seasonal hat change?

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
I know that Labor Day is supposed to be the end of summer, and we ought to switch back to felt hats, but I have to say its really freaking hot here, near 100 every day.

I tried sticking to the "Easter and Labor Day" switch overs for a couple years, and was complaining to mom about the sweat getting into my felt hats. She said my grandfather and his buddies had made a group decision back in the 1950's that if it was baseball season, it was summer. That's the first week in April to mid October. Works out pretty well for this far south.

I have a friend that has a simpler approach. If the weather folks say 80+ he's in straw, otherwise in felt.

Comments from the others of you in Tropical climates?

hatflick1

Practically Family
HAT SEASON/BASEBALL SEASON

There used to be a tuxedo rental store here in Hollywood whose general rule of thumb was: baseball season...opening day till the end of the World Series, white tux jacket. Rest of the year, black. Since America's past-time can bleed all the way through September, the hottest month in L.A. incidentally, you may want to apply Tuxedo Center thinking to straw hats.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Let the weather, not the calendar, dictate your choice of hat. After all, one of the practical reasons for wearing a hat is to keep your head warm in cold weather and cool in hot weather. Wearing a black felt hat on a 90-degree day is just silly if the only reason you're doing it is because it's after Labor Day. Besides, summer doesn't end until September 21st according to my calendar.

Disclaimer: I'm expecting my new Montecristi later this week or early next week, and I want to get some use out of it this year. This fact may have an effect on my judgement, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

JeffW

Familiar Face
I am going with the letting the weather determine. We used to have a hard and fast rule about uniforms (April-October summer uniform) but that has all changed. It can stay hot down here for a long time. I will probably change to felt only sometime in October.

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
survival trumps fashion

I live in central Texas about 100 miles SW of Dallas (close to Stephenville for those acquainted with the area) and the brutality of the heat dictates that felt hats must wait.

Even light straws and panamas must endure a sizable quantity of perspiration as they give vital shelter from the punishing radiation. I am eagerly awaiting what passes for fall here in Texas to arrive so the felt hats can be released from the bondage of the box.

by the way, I was born in Texas and can't imagine living elsewhere :cheers1:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
While I live in the land of Endless Summer, most days one could wear either straw or felt, unless a Santa Ana hits -- then it is straw with a hurricane strap.

I imagine whoever made those hat rules (wonder how old they are?), lived in the Northeast, where it almost literally cools down around or on Labor Day.

Easter, however, would still be pretty early for straw, depending on when it fell and where the person lived.

New Englanders, trying to discourage New Yorkers from moving into their turf, like to say, "Welcome to New Hampshire. We have two seasons -- July and winter!"

karol

indyjim

Familiar Face
I just made the switch here in PA. Partly due to cooler weather, partly due
to rain. :fedora:

MattC

A-List Customer
The old rule

The old rule was Memorial day begins straw, labor day ends it. Just like seersucker. I think rules like that are silly. Let the weather dictate the extremes, and mood during fall and spring (or endless spring in my old town, SF).

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I can't wait to make the switch to felt, or wool for my 8 1/4 caps. I will be changing after Labor Day, weather be damned!!

Really though, here in Southeast Texas and the Texas Gulfshore, one could wear straw up till the end of Jan. beginning of Feb. So if one is going to wear felt one must suffer.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Unfortunately, my only hat is felt. I only recently acquired it. I have worn it on some of the 80 degree days. Still too hot. But when its in its box it keeps calling me to wear it. LOL

Chad
ps...I can't wait till its cooler.

riccardo

Practically Family
...this is the problem...

Hi,
yesterday a gray summer weather...a lot of cloud full of rain...and then the rain go down!!!
I was wearing my panama...what should i have to do?
I worm a felt hat while was raining...and when the sun return i wear my panama...
What do you do in this situation?

Regards, Riccardo.

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Summer is still here

photobyalan said:
Disclaimer: I'm expecting my new Montecristi later this week or early next week, and I want to get some use out of it this year. This fact may have an effect on my judgement, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

My Montecristi from Pannama Bob was ordered about 5 weeks ago, so it should be showing up soon. I to, am hoping the weather holds out for a good break in period.

Personally I don't abide much by seasonal rules. If it is appropriate for the occasion and the weather is accomodating go for it.

Phil_in_CS

Familiar Face
I tend of like seasonal changes

Partly I'm old fashioned, but I like the way the changes can build anticipation, and give you a better sense of time and the passage of the cycles of the year.

Same idea as decorating for Holidays; I like the Thanksgiving stuff my wife has assembled, but if we left it up all year it would get old.

I know back east and up north Memorial day was the start of summer day, but it was always Easter for me growing up in SE Texas. White shoes and linen... That's somewhere in March to April, which matches pretty well with the arrival of consistent 80+ days.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A factoid that may be of interest...

Actually, back in the days when the bulk of the population wore hats, Labor Day and Memorial Day didn't yet exist as we know them. You changed your hat on Straw Hat Day (Sept 15) and Felt Hat Day (May 15).

In any case, going by your local climate probably makes more sense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points